-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a new one, and wood, CZ 457s are the easy button. They have a nitride finish, so the lack of SS isn’t a big deal for me. They offer multiple styles, and you can swap stocks and barrels around, assuming you can find the parts and turn say, a heavy target style into a sporter, which is what I ended up doing.

If synthetic is your thing, the Tikkas are really good shooters by all accounts.

Lots of great old guns out there if you enjoy the chase……..

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Bolt action.22's bore the hell out of me. So does the thought of punching endless holes in paper shooting for groups from a bench. I'll take my BL-22 over any bolt action .22. It's slim, light, handy and works great for hunting cottontails and squirrels and shooting steel spinners in the back yard.

Bolt guns bore me too, but so do pretty much any rapid fire .22 rifles anymore. I mostly treat .22 rifles as I do centerfire rifles - measured unhurried slow fire for score & accuracy. Where a lot of people get their jollies by ding-ding-dinging steel and expend a brick of ammo in an afternoon, I get the same jollies by expending one box for ten 5-shot groups in an afternoon. (.22 pistols are another story, and I'm as bad as anyone else.)

Ballards, a Stevens Walnut Hill, and a Martini International:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What I did with the Martini last weekend, 100 yards, Eley Tenex:

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Bolt action.22's bore the hell out of me. So does the thought of punching endless holes in paper shooting for groups from a bench. I'll take my BL-22 over any bolt action .22. It's slim, light, handy and works great for hunting cottontails and squirrels and shooting steel spinners in the back yard.

Bolt guns bore me too, but so do pretty much any rapid fire .22 rifles anymore. I mostly treat .22 rifles as I do centerfire rifles - measured unhurried slow fire for score & accuracy. Where a lot of people get their jollies by ding-ding-dinging steel and expend a brick of ammo in an afternoon, I get the same jollies by expending one box for ten 5-shot groups in an afternoon. (.22 pistols are another story, and I'm as bad as anyone else.)

Ballards, a Stevens Walnut Hill, and a Martini International:

What I did with the Martini last weekend, 100 yards, Eley Tenex:

Bench shooting doesn't interest me in the least. I practice for hunting and there are no bench rests where I hunt. My practice is almost all done off hand since that's how most of my game is shot.. As long as I can ding a 2" diameter spinner consistently from 65 yards I'm happy. My record is 78 hits in a row. If you can shoot off hand, everything else is easy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bench shooting doesn't interest me in the least. I practice for hunting and there are no bench rests where I hunt. My practice is almost all done off hand since that's how most of my game is shot.. As long as I can ding a 2" diameter spinner consistently from 65 yards I'm happy. My record is 78 hits in a row. If you can shoot off hand, everything else is easy.[/quote]

Yep, I have to agree, and through most of my life I shot a helluva lot of offhand. But now my back and neck are bolloxed up with scoliosis and I can't assume even a halfway decent offhand stance. So the bench it is, and I don't mind it a bit - just a different form of burning powder and slinging lead. When squirrel/deer hunting I'll sneak around and take periodic sitdowns where I can wield a rifle effectively, hopefully with a tree trunk or branch to steady my aim. An animal that's skittering around while I'm standing on my hind legs gets a bye.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought a CZ MTR 22LR recently.Along with having super nice wood I was able to get the factory trigger down to 14 ounces with out the CZ after market trigger pull spring. They are pillar bedded from the factory and have a match chamber.I have gotten 1/4" groups at 50 using inexpensive sub sonic ammo.I can`t wait to see what it does with some of the good stuff.I also have a CZ 457 Varmint in 22WMR but have not fired it yet. Just had my knee replaced last Tuesday and it is holding up my shooting. I have also picked up a Tikka T1x in 22 LR.That sucker is also a shooter. The trigger went down to 1.5 pounds of pull no problem.Another winter purchase is a Steyr Mannlicker Zepher II. I have not shot that one either but is is very cool with outstanding wood and a fine adjustable trigger.My only fault with that rifle is a long LOP.14.5 inches. I am hoping to be shooting by this weekend.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dead nuts accurate 22 s are a lot of fun. I've won my share of 22BR matches with my M54 Anschutz.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gnoahhh;
Top of the morning to you sir - well it's still morning out here in the BC mountains - regardless I trust all is going according to plan for you.

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your single shot rimfires. My goodness those are "just right" to my way of thinking! cool

While I love the look of the hammer guns and would be hard pressed to say which one stirs my heart more - that Martini reminds me of a BSA that I really and truly should have made a greater effort to buy.

It had no scope mounts as I recall, just a fairly sophisticated set of aperture sights and it belonged to a buddy's son in law. Although it was decades ago now and I might be wrong, I recall it being quite heavy with either a full diameter bull barrel or one with not much taper.

I've no clue how well it shot either, but it's one of a few that I didn't get and once in awhile think about.

Thanks again and good shooting too by the way!

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Dwayne, if you get a chance to snag a BSA International do it. I don't know of one that won't hold its own with M52's and Anschutzes, and often surpass them. They are 70+ year old technology now but were always built to very high standards with magnificent barrels - qualities which stand the test of time no matter the gun.

Those groups I posted a pic of were shot in a twitchy 5-6mph head wind. I doped the wind fairly well but I got the fliers that you see when my brain said "don't shoot", but my trigger finger disobeyed.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/09/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry to hear of your physical limitations gnoahhh but happy to hear you're keepin' on and are still able to enjoy the sport. May you have many more years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have an Anschutz, Ruger 77/22, and CZ457. All great shooters, but each is ammo dependent. Neighbor's Tika seems to do well to. Presently, I'd go with CZ or Tika and work the trigger.

1Minute
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
gnoahhh;
Top of the morning to you sir - well it's still morning out here in the BC mountains - regardless I trust all is going according to plan for you.

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your single shot rimfires. My goodness those are "just right" to my way of thinking! cool

While I love the look of the hammer guns and would be hard pressed to say which one stirs my heart more - that Martini reminds me of a BSA that I really and truly should have made a greater effort to buy.

It had no scope mounts as I recall, just a fairly sophisticated set of aperture sights and it belonged to a buddy's son in law. Although it was decades ago now and I might be wrong, I recall it being quite heavy with either a full diameter bull barrel or one with not much taper.

I've no clue how well it shot either, but it's one of a few that I didn't get and once in awhile think about.

All the best.

Dwayne

gnoahhh has some cool rifles. I also appreciate him posting pics of them and the groups he's shooting. While I will admit, shooting 22lr really bores the heck out of me, it's also nice to have some nice shooting ones in the stable. I pulled out a couple in the last couple months, just to keep from getting too rusty and to check my weak side shooting. To me, it sounds like the OP is looking for a really nice rifle, so I stand by my suggestion of the CZ 457 with a beautiful wood stock. Not the weird looking european hump back stock either.

Also, what I think is funny is blackheart gets so irritated with guys shooting off the bench, but that is really the only way you are going to know the rifle's full potential. Just how the cookie crumbles. I'm sure there are many of us that have slayed truckloads of vermin, but we don't brag about it. That's just not in my nature. Others mileage may vary.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take a look at a Steyr Zephyr II.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm sure there are many of us that have slayed truckloads of vermin, but we don't brag about it. That's just not in my nature.

That’s rich.

Yet you’re always trying convince everyone how great you are.

I guess the truckloads of vermin pics are with the truckloads of big game pics?

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
541-S or 541-T.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
gnoahhh;

All the best.

Dwayne

gnoahhh has some cool rifles. I also appreciate him posting pics of them and the groups he's shooting. While I will admit, shooting 22lr really bores the heck out of me, it's also nice to have some nice shooting ones in the stable. I pulled out a couple in the last couple months, just to keep from getting too rusty and to check my weak side shooting. To me, it sounds like the OP is looking for a really nice rifle, so I stand by my suggestion of the CZ 457 with a beautiful wood stock. Not the weird looking european hump back stock either.

Also, what I think is funny is blackheart gets so irritated with guys shooting off the bench, but that is really the only way you are going to know the rifle's full potential. Just how the cookie crumbles. I'm sure there are many of us that have slayed truckloads of vermin, but we don't brag about it. That's just not in my nature. Others mileage may vary.
Zeroing and load work up/testing is the only time I'll shoot from a bench. Often not even zeroing as I can easily shoot sub MOA groups off a rolled up jacket on the hood of my Jeep. Poking endless holes in paper targets from the bench holds no fascination and precious little practical value for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 457 Sporter and Bergara BMR Steel. Both shoot very well with the edge going to Bergara. I also have a 17HMR barrel for the .17HMR which is excellent. I have also owned a couple of Savage Anschutz 22's that were nice but no more accurate than the CZ or Bergara for me.

Last edited by centershot; 05/09/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CZ 457 has scratched the 22lr bolt itch that my 39A just could not. I went with a good scope and have used the sand bags to send rounds out waaaay farther than I have in the past. My friend has a few of the classics mentioned in above posts. He shoots them well and I do my best to keep up. We each have our days. Which ever route you take your going to like 22lr, and the change of pace sub sonic ammo provides on range days.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Paid almost a grand for a Cooper 22LR 10 yrs ago. Worth every penny and I would do it again.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
That was a USED Cooper!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
oldcuss-

Go look at that Jackson Squirrel Rifle on Rimfire Central for sale. Too purty to shoot for me!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.