Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
GRF-

I would suggest setting some guidelines first.

What’s your budget? Rifles suggested so far can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

What’s your intended purpose? Bench target shooting, or perhaps hunting?

What is your desired accuracy expectation?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robertham1
GRF-

What’s your budget? Rifles suggested so far can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

FINALLY!!! 5 pages deep and we don't have the budget and use defined. It's an exercise in futility without some parameters defined.

G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Lol lots of useful and interesting information given so far in an “exercise in futility”

Parameters

Budget $1500 Cdn (about $75 usd 😃 sarcasm font for those who can’t read betwixt the lines) I recognize that quality and consistency carrys a price.

Purpose to improve my centrefire skills via; bench, silhouette, plinking and varmint slaying.

Desired expectations around MOA similar to my .17 HMR.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep in mind I told you to stay away from 10/22's and Contender Carbines....with Bullberry barrels...and good ammo. The Contender group I posted was shot from a bag rest at 50 yards.

My 100 yd group with the 10/22 is...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They both suck.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
Lol lots of useful and interesting information given so far in an “exercise in futility”

Parameters

Budget $1500 Cdn (about $75 usd 😃 sarcasm font for those who can’t read betwixt the lines) I recognize that quality and consistency carrys a price.

Purpose to improve my centrefire skills via; bench, silhouette, plinking and varmint slaying.

One rifle that will meet those specifications is a 513T Remington. Mine is truly a tack driver. 513T’s were designed as target rifles. I’m not how you’d import from the USA. I’m guessing you’d still have a few Loonies in your pocket after buying one.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/09/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If someone wants a BSA International MKIII I am thinking of selling mine. First year rifle in excellent shape. (UF12*) Has the correct Parker Hale peeps with inserts and holder, handstop and adjustable butt plate. Also have a Lyman Super Target 20X with end caps, rubber eye cup and wood case. Won't be cheap, these are now hard to come by when they are correct and complete.

Back track for the OP a Tikka TX or several CZ's are also very good and much less expensive. I have a CZ 452 that is very accurate with ammo it likes but not at the same level as the BSA.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like the Kimber of Oregon Model 82s. Mine have been very accurate, and are put up nicely, both wood and metal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
GRF-

What kind of sicko are you?
Budgets?
Guidelines?
Intended purposes?
We’re talking guns here, you find what you like and you figure out a way to get it.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have a CZ and like it, I'd suggest getting whatever the current production version of your 17 HMR is. I like having the same make/model of rifles chambered for different cartridges that are set up the same so that moving from rifles to rifle, cartridge to cartridge, is sort of seamless.

You can't go wrong with an Anschutz, Savage-Anschutz, Krico, Winchester 320, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
CZ 457 has scratched the 22lr bolt itch that my 39A just could not. I went with a good scope and have used the sand bags to send rounds out waaaay farther than I have in the past. My friend has a few of the classics mentioned in above posts. He shoots them well and I do my best to keep up. We each have our days. Which ever route you take your going to like 22lr, and the change of pace sub sonic ammo provides on range days.

On the right colored target or background @ 200 yards you can watch that .22 bullet in flight. Pretty amazing just how accurate they are at that range. Fun stuff.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by GRF

Parameters

One rifle that will meet those specifications is a 513T Remington. Mine is truly a tack driver. 513T’s were designed as target rifles. I’m not how you’d import from the USA. I’m guessing you’d still have a few Loonies in your pocket after buying one.

Or, if you can find one, Remington 521-T. Originally designed as a target/field hybrid. Mine’s a 1948 version and the rifle I learned to shoot with. I can still recall the first shot I ever fired, at, probably 3 years of age, sitting between my father’s knees and pulling the trigger, the crack of the rifle, and the intoxicating smell of the rimfire gunsmoke. Don’t know if they were d&t, but an easy enough job. Mine’s in my son’s custody now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
CZ 457 has scratched the 22lr bolt itch that my 39A just could not. I went with a good scope and have used the sand bags to send rounds out waaaay farther than I have in the past. My friend has a few of the classics mentioned in above posts. He shoots them well and I do my best to keep up. We each have our days. Which ever route you take your going to like 22lr, and the change of pace sub sonic ammo provides on range days.

On the right colored target or background @ 200 yards you can watch that .22 bullet in flight. Pretty amazing just how accurate they are at that range. Fun stuff.

Indeed. But, 200 yards, and farther, with a .22LR isn't for the faint of heart! Wind is your enemy, especially if starting out sub-sonic, and further exacerbated if there's a super-sonic to sub-sonic transition along the way if faster ammo is employed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
GRF-

What kind of sicko are you?
Budgets?
Guidelines?
Intended purposes?
We’re talking guns here, you find what you like and you figure out a way to get it.

I’m the worse kind of sicko when it comes to .22’s. Im non discriminatory and love them all. From antiques to modern- they all are great.

But I understand that some don’t share my addiction

Last edited by robertham1; 05/10/23.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ERK
Used could get you a Anshultz or Savage Anshultz. Edk

I know where several of those are.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I’m the worse kind of sicko when it comes to .22’s. Im non discriminatory and love them all. From antiques to modern- they all are great.

But I understand that some don’t share my addiction

I’ve got a couple of antiques if interested.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Thoughts on the Weatherby Mark XXII?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
GRF-

FINALLY!!! 5 pages deep and we don't have the budget and use defined. It's an exercise in futility without some parameters defined.

Paul;
Top of the morning to you, though it's admittedly later in the day on the east coast for you folks. I trust it's good cycling weather and you're well.

With respect, I'm going to differ with your assessment of the thread being an exercise in futility for the following reasons.

When my friend GRF posed a broad question, he left it open for a few of us to answer it in a correspondingly wide open fashion, so we had gnoahhh putting up photos of his exquisite single shots, Digital Dan his TC as well as a 10/22 and a host of others who like my response tossed up experience from more than half a dozen manufacturers and styles.

Perhaps it's my wiring, but I rather enjoy getting the perspective from a wide range of shooters and experience.

As well, it does my heart good to know I'm not alone in having a bit of a problem with way too many .22 rifles in the safe.

Anyways as always Paul, just some random thoughts from an even more random semi-geezer north of the medicine line.

All the best to you all today Paul.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Thoughts on the Weatherby Mark XXII?
I had one, really liked it but it was too nice for me to use. The wood and finish on it was beautiful. I shot it very little, enough to show it was a shooter though. Mine was the magazine fed version.
The value on these skyrocketed and I sold it a few years ago. Kind of regretted it now.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had the itch for a nice 22LR a couple of years ago and splurged on a Cooper Western Classic and never looked back. I bought a CZ 457 in 22 mag and it was a great shooter very accurate rifle. I saw another Cooper custom classic in 22 mag and bought it and sold the CZ. The 17HMR bug bit and a Browning T bolt was purchased. This shoots extremely well and it comes in 22LR. I like the 10 round magazine. Yet another Cooper Custom Classic in 17 HMR showed up and yup I bought that as well. I will keep the Browning however. The Cooper's make the perfect tri fecta of rimfire rifles for me. They look as good as they shoot.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A lot of great suggestions and exceptional shooting presented here…..and none of the rifles suggested would be a bad option. I tend to lean towards the CZ 457s for currently manufactured rifles as they tend to be extremely accurate and attractive (to me)…….so it’s really up to what you think that you’d like in a rifle.

I don’t understand though finding any rifle or type of shooting “boring”….I can understand preferences for types of shooting but I just can’t imagine being bored when I have the opportunity to shoot ANY types of rifles or venues - especially with .22s🤔😁

PennDog

p.s. Awesome shooting Gary - look forward to seeing that done in person next time!!

Last edited by PennDog; 05/12/23.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 58 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.