Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appraisal district went up 25.61% from last years big increase. According to Zillow my county went up 4.7% in the last year. The big blow up was a couple of years earlier.

I had submitted pictures of flaws in my home and the fact the way they averaging house values was inaccurate because of the differences in age and locations with in the county.

I asked for a increase in value of 4.7% plus the 3422$ I spent on two water heaters last year.

Hope I can get them to go for it. They usually drop the value when I argue.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's the deal this year.

They don't raise the tax rates, they just raise the appraised values.

People are pissed all over the state! mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Ours jumped 30%.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I dunno. wife works there. There is almost NOTHING I've ever seen thats valued for what its worth on the market for sale. At least in our county.

Beyond that the districts are audited by the state( why are there even districts then?) and must fall within a plus or minus area the state thinks is realistic.

Bottom line we have never had anything we couldn't have gotten quite a bit more than what the appraised value is if we wanted to sell.
I've argued we never wanted to sell but thats not the point.

The folks that set the rates are the ones getting to everyone around the place in TX. Well that and the fact the state won't even allow things to be too under valued if the districts wanted too.

Obviously she can't wait to retire. Names she gets called on a daily basis for doing her job I would likely be in jail if I heard people speak to her that way and I was present.

Thats what I see and hear on a daily basis. Never mind the inflation caused rise in prices due to Biden et al...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Is anything being done other than moaning?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just hired a tax protest firm today. We haven't had much luck protesting on our own.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Lslite
Just hired a tax protest firm today. We haven't had much luck protesting on our own.
Seriously curious. Because as I understand it each county can kind of use different rules to value but values have to fall within state guidelines.

What is the value you protest and what would you put it on the market for and expect to get for it?

All I know is I would be not happy if we got what it appraised for. It should get much more. Not than any of ours is for sale.

I'm just curious how crazy the appraisals are.

And folks. We all need to go to your legislators and demand a change. Abbott won't do it. He could care less. Most don't care in .gov but they need to be run into a corner.

And in the meantime if you ain't mad about local govt spending you should at least be mad about whats spent on public education and bond elections and tax increases etc.... its NUTs... and they aren't getting and education either.

If I was still a resident in TX I'd be on their azz.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Is anything being done other than moaning?

In this area entire blocks of property owners are appealing the appraisal, and enough people went forward to get the appraisal district to conduct an audit.

Enough people are appealing in large groups to get their attention.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Local govt can’t just print money so expect that to be a recurring yearly event. They aren’t cutting the budget.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Local govt can’t just print money so expect that to be a recurring yearly event. They aren’t cutting the budget.

The Covid BS cost a lot of money.

Even though taxpayers have no choice in what happened, they WILL foot the bill. It's playing catch up now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Then it's time to do something about it Texas! We did so in 1978 with the Headlee Amendment and later Prop A in 1994 in Michigan. Together they cap annual tax increases despite what the assessed value is. So the state is free to assess whatever the hell they want, but annual property taxes increases are limited to lesser of inflation rate or 5%. The ACTUAL taxable value of the home is reset when the home sells and the sale price establishes the SEV (State Equalized Value) for tax purposes. Thereafter, lesser of inflation rate or 5% (until you sell your house, then it starts over). In Michigan, taxation is based on 50% of SEV for your primary residence (second homes get nailed at 100% SEV taxation).

If blue Michigan can do it, red Texas can!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Property taxation is an obsolete relic of our agricultural past. It needs to be completely eliminated as a funding source for public endeavor. People only accept it because it has always been there. If we’d never had it, just taxes on income and sales, and someone tried to introduce property taxation today, they’d be (rightfully) viewed as a lunatic.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 28 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.