Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PatB Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Don't know if these are apples to apples or not but is there any big difference in quality of these 3?

Which would be preferred or are there others you would consider instead...

Looking for a house/truck gun so thinking a 16''er..

Any help appreciated..

ARIC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
RRA is more of a consumer/commercial grade rifle.

DD and BCM are more pro or patrol grade.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
straight away eff marty daniel

won't buy another DD product.

as for RRA vs BCM..

i haven't had or shot a BCM that shoots lights out.. but i did have a stainless RRA varmint upper that was very good.

that said i'd take a bcm most any way over the RRA if "accuracy" isn't priority number one. hobby vs duty grade is a solid way to look at the analogy.

i think a blem BCM lower from say rooftopdefense, and an upper with free bcg from bcm direct is good value for the money. i really like their lightweight barrels and QRF rail. stocks and grip are good. bcg is qc very well. has the so come extractor upgrade..and haven't had a bobble from 2 i got.

the mod 0 comp is a good "not a flash hider" muzzle device

the upper is thermal fit meaning no slop in the barrel to receiver for.

my two bcm barrels feel over gassed but i'm used to a knights mod 2 so everything seems over gassed nowadays

don't care much about the pnt trigger.

the mod 2 buffer tube is a knock off a5. two thumbs up.

gas block on my two are tight on the journal.. would prefer a pinned block but set screw under handguard isn't a huge concern.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have two RRA AR’s, a predator pursuit and an M4 type. Both are very well built and smooth operating. The predator rifle met their accuracy guarantee with 55,68, and 69gr bullets. Two were my hand loads and the 68 was a remanufactured ammo I found a good price on. I lucked into both of them and have no regrets at all. I have no experience with the other brands mentioned. Compared to the Windham and DPMS guns I have, RRA is head and shoulders above them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't keep an AR in the truck unless it had a chrome lined or nitrided barrel. Stainless DOES rust!

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Had multiple RRA, and have built their basic uppers out for several shooting friends - all had been easy to work on, fit standard parts with out issue, and been decently accurate - MOA of intended use. I’ve ran mine through a couple of 500-1k carbine classes, no issues.

Investment is good for the return.

BCM is solid for hard use - carbine classes, weekend pick-up matches, club use, and rentals. They have a ton of “pro” sponsorship - but so does NASCAR… doesn’t make them “the best”, it’s a decent bet that what you get will out last you - they are durable.

Higher initial investment - may be more than you need for a truck gun.

DD - no issues with the ones I’ve handled and shot - price point higher, and I don’t see any noticeable increase in accuracy or durability over BCM. IMHO - you’re starting to get into boutique ARs at their price point, and more name than added game. Their handguards are solid for multiple uses, but again - pricey.

High initial investment - not gaining much over BCM for the added cash - IMHO.

YMMV

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Never saw a need for any of those, except for the BCM. A lot of hype if anything. All of my rifles run very well, and for thousands of rounds. However, I also use good BCG's. The stamping on the side of the receiver doesn't mean too much, it's what's inside that counts. Buy what makes you happy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My truck gun is an FN/PSA chrome lined barrel. Schmidt LPK, PSA nickel boron BCG from Toolcraft, BCM upper, Midwest Industries MLok rail, BCM RE, Magpul CTR stock and Daniel Defense fixed irons.

I have zero complete factory guns these days. Buy the best barrel for the job. The barrel is the heart and the BCG is the lungs. Use your brain to complete the gun.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Never saw a need for any of those, except for the BCM. A lot of hype if anything. All of my rifles run very well, and for thousands of rounds. However, I also use good BCG's. The stamping on the side of the receiver doesn't mean too much, it's what's inside that counts. Buy what makes you happy.

word salad..

i'm not throwing shade out of hand. but give us something more substantive then that.

i find it funny that psa doesn't use toolcraft bcg's on their new sabre line.

to the OP what's ur budget? i truly believe the LMT is best bang for ur buck if the budget extends. the list of improvements is long.

for go to blasters, not rack grade, i'd take a lookat this lower

https://www.rooftopdefense.com/prod...4-lower-receiver-assembly-cosmetic-blem/

and this upper

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-sta...r-receiver-group-w-bcm-qrf-12-handguard/

that combo with an aimpoint pro or vortex pst 1-6 is good kit.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i can't imagine anyone from illinois that loves freedom is too happy about RRA selling them out. forgot about that. it matters. don't do business will 2a companies that don't support the 2a.. there's plenty of great companies that do

and again fvkkk daniel defense aka marty daniel. he pushed for universal background checks. until his ass is completely gone, not a dime. not a dime.

looking back, it's bcm or bust.

if we fold on our principles we'll be in new zealand or Australia or canada's shoes real fast.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TWR
My truck gun is an FN/PSA chrome lined barrel. Schmidt LPK, PSA nickel boron BCG from Toolcraft, BCM upper, Midwest Industries MLok rail, BCM RE, Magpul CTR stock and Daniel Defense fixed irons.

I have zero complete factory guns these days. Buy the best barrel for the job. The barrel is the heart and the BCG is the lungs. Use your brain to complete the gun.

For the purpose, don't get much better than that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

word salad..

i'm not throwing shade out of hand. but give us something more substantive then that.

to the OP what's ur budget? i truly believe the LMT is best bang for ur buck if the budget extends. the list of improvements is long.

and this upper

Now you've done it.

Get prepared to be buried with pictures of targets with tiny groups.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

word salad..

and this upper

Now you've done it.

Get prepared to be buried with pictures of targets with tiny groups.

My BCM is fine, but you aren't going to be seeing any tiny groups shot with that thing. Even though it has a better barrel than most BCM's come with from the factory. I'd take my Northtech Defense over it any day of the week. Any way you slice it, that's salad you guys can chew on..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Had multiple RRA, and have built their basic uppers out for several shooting friends - all had been easy to work on, fit standard parts with out issue, and been decently accurate - MOA of intended use. I’ve ran mine through a couple of 500-1k carbine classes, no issues.

Investment is good for the return.

BCM is solid for hard use - carbine classes, weekend pick-up matches, club use, and rentals. They have a ton of “pro” sponsorship - but so does NASCAR… doesn’t make them “the best”, it’s a decent bet that what you get will out last you - they are durable.

Higher initial investment - may be more than you need for a truck gun.

DD - no issues with the ones I’ve handled and shot - price point higher, and I don’t see any noticeable increase in accuracy or durability over BCM. IMHO - you’re starting to get into boutique ARs at their price point, and more name than added game. Their handguards are solid for multiple uses, but again - pricey.

High initial investment - not gaining much over BCM for the added cash - IMHO.

YMMV

Sums it up pretty well I think...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
i can't imagine anyone from illinois that loves freedom is too happy about RRA selling them out. forgot about that. it matters. don't do business will 2a companies that don't support the 2a.. there's plenty of great companies that do

and again fvkkk daniel defense aka marty daniel. he pushed for universal background checks. until his ass is completely gone, not a dime. not a dime.

looking back, it's bcm or bust.

if we fold on our principles we'll be in new zealand or Australia or canada's shoes real fast.
A company in an unfriendly area like the state of IL, has to consider future life. Simple as that.

Yet so many still buy Ruger even though they worked for the ban against ARs in the 90 as long as their mini was ok. That wasn't move the company, it was screw the gun public kind of thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
PatB Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Got a quick education from you guys.. Thanks for getting me going on the right track. I think a fella needs more that one.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a BCM once. Reliable but the most inaccurate AR I've ever owned. BCM was no help in fixing it. You do a lot better for your money.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
BCM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
SOLGW

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
SOLGW

i'm sure they are gtg, but knowing they are ballistic advantage barrels runs me off

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,121 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.