Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
This is the closest to a truck forum that we have on the 'fire, so I'm posting my question here.

My wife and I have decided to upgrade our 26' bumper pull camper to a ~36' 5th wheel, and to get a truck to pull it. First stop is the truck.

I'm planning to buy a new 4WD one-ton diesel dually, but I've never driven a dually much at all, so I thought I'd ask about driving them. What are the issues / hazards / difficulties with driving a dually? And with a 5th wheel camper? Aside from the wider rear wheels, of course.

To be clear, I'm not asking for opinions on which truck to buy, since I've already decided on that. I am asking for tips on how to drive it. Thanks in advance for your help!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing to do with driving one but don't plan on reaching over the bedside to grab anything from the bottom of the bed.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why the duals?

Other than that, point it East and mash the pedal. Make sure you use the compression brake frequently to keep from sooting up the turbo. Don’t use it as a grocery getter, or you’ll have trouble with the after treatment system. Don’t idle any more than absolutely necessary. Don’t baby it, that diesel needs to work to stay somewhat clean inside.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Yup. Have the same problem with my lifted 3/4 ton. I carry a 2-step stool to access the bed.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks, Dutch. I want a dually for maximum towing capacity and safety. In hind sight, I did not buy enough truck when I bought my current 3/4 ton Duramax in 2018. Don’t want to make that mistake again.

And we do not plan to spend much time East. We will be in the west mostly.

This truck will not be a daily driver. I bought a 2022 Toyota 4-Runner TRD Pro Premium for that last year.

It will come with an exhaust break. Is that what you mean by compression brake? Silly question perhaps, but I’m a newbie to these things.

Thanks again!

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a pickup!
Not an 80,000 lb semi.

Common to see the fenders tore up, that's about it.
If you go full bed, 4 door, they are long connected bitches. Clumsy in some parking lots.

5th wheel or goose neckwear the pants off bumper pull.
Easier weight distribution,the load is on both axles. Not behind the drive.
Better turning, better backing.

Never understood the laws on this crap.
A single axle dump truck can require a CDL. A trailer >10k#.
Testing, physical, enhanced regulation.

Mom and Pop Kettle ain't never driven anything but a mid size car, think a minivan or
dually Is HUGE.

They go buy a pickup, 40' of tall trailer weighs 12k# empty.

"And They Are Off to The Races"

One of the biggest threats on the highway, an RV passing you is a bigger worry than
what's ahead.

I've had them try to come over before the pickup was clear of my bumper, 30'+ of trailer behind it!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Absolutely no need for a 1 ton pickup. The 3/4 ton Ford F250 is the same truck as the 1 ton except for an additional leaf in the rear spring. In the 1 ton you gain 600 lbs of load. I have been buying 3/4 tons for years and I just buy a set if air bags and run the pressure at about 30 to 35 lbs. The advantage of the air bags is you can lower the pressure when you are not pulling for a more comfortable ride. 1 toners ride must stiffer than a conventional 3/4 ton. Another advantage is the 3/4 ton sits lower than the 1 ton.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Absolutely no need for a 1 ton pickup. The 3/4 ton Ford F250 is the same truck as the 1 ton except for an additional leaf in the rear spring. In the 1 ton you gain 600 lbs of load. I have been buying 3/4 tons for years and I just buy a set if air bags and run the pressure at about 30 to 35 lbs. The advantage of the air bags is you can lower the pressure when you are not pulling for a more comfortable ride. 1 toners ride must stiffer than a conventional 3/4 ton. Another advantage is the 3/4 ton sits lower than the 1 ton. The air bags run about $350.00 as compared to around $600.00 to go to a 1 ton. They aren't that hard to install and you can level your pickup and camper by running lower or higher air pressure.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by vixen
Absolutely no need for a 1 ton pickup. The 3/4 ton Ford F250 is the same truck as the 1 ton except for an additional leaf in the rear spring. In the 1 ton you gain 600 lbs of load. I have been buying 3/4 tons for years and I just buy a set if air bags and run the pressure at about 30 to 35 lbs. The advantage of the air bags is you can lower the pressure when you are not pulling for a more comfortable ride. 1 toners ride must stiffer than a conventional 3/4 ton. Another advantage is the 3/4 ton sits lower than the 1 ton. The air bags run about $350.00 as compared to around $600.00 to go to a 1 ton. They aren't that hard to install and you can level your pickup and camper by running lower or higher air pressure.

An extra set of tires underneath the weight of the hitch can be handy if you've ever blown a rear tire pulling a big trailer.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by vixen

Is gearing not different in the 1-ton vs 3/4 ton?

Montana MOFO
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by achadwick
This is the closest to a truck forum that we have on the 'fire, so I'm posting my question here.

My wife and I have decided to upgrade our 26' bumper pull camper to a ~36' 5th wheel, and to get a truck to pull it. First stop is the truck.

I'm planning to buy a new 4WD one-ton diesel dually, but I've never driven a dually much at all, so I thought I'd ask about driving them. What are the issues / hazards / difficulties with driving a dually? And with a 5th wheel camper? Aside from the wider rear wheels, of course.

To be clear, I'm not asking for opinions on which truck to buy, since I've already decided on that. I am asking for tips on how to drive it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Consider getting a flatbed installed. People who haven't driven a dually will often ding up the rear fender flares and the flatbed will give you better access to whats on/in the bed.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
About the only thing a dually gives you is MAYBE a little less sway. Extra load capacity is minimal. I have had both. I can't comment on a 1 ton ,vs a 3/4 ton. Mine have all been 3/4 ton. My last two trucks have not been duallys.. Those trucks have had a short box and four doors. One, I pulled a 20 foot gooseneck running about 17,000 pounds total.This one, instead, I have a slide in pop up camper and a bumper pull 3 horse slant trailer, running about 18,000 pounds. It has load leveler hitch.

I might mention. Compare gasser to a diesel. If you go with a new diesel, buy the extended warranty. Mine was about $3000. Caution, they tell you it takes over after the new warranty. If you have 3 year new warranty, the extended ten year it is in addition to the new warranty. So if you have new three year new, you will have 7 left on the extended. One injector pump failure will eat up most of that $3k. With a few repairs and fee oil changes I am close to $3K. My last diesel, a 98, I paid about $24 K for it and close to $25 K in repairs.

You have to buy 6 tires instead of 4 and There is precise way to mount the duallys. Mine had small slot in the wheel that had to be matched with the other one. I loaned it to a neighbor and he tore off a dually fender. I only had to replace tail gates.( Invest if an air gate)

The dually had an 8 ft bed, stretch cab, and I pulled 20 foot gooseneck. I cussed every time I had to turn it around or put it in a tight space.

Check your state and any states you plan to travel in.Some now have restrictions that require a CDL for longer units. You would probably be looking at almost 50 feet

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/11/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I pull a 35'....driving is no big deal you will get used to it.....put a flatbed on wayyyy easier....pulling with a dually there is defiantly a difference between single vs duals ....if someone is worried about buying 2 extra tires they probably shouldn't take any trips and spend that extra on gas .... you didnt ask but I pull with a 1 ton f350 dually 4x4 crew cab long bed 6.7 deleted deiseal 4.30 gears....screw all that air bag crap buy the right truck and equip it right from the factory.....I also have 3/4 ton trucks single axel ...but if I pull heavy I use the dually....bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, Dutch. I want a dually for maximum towing capacity and safety. In hind sight, I did not buy enough truck when I bought my current 3/4 ton Duramax in 2018. Don’t want to make that mistake again.

And we do not plan to spend much time East. We will be in the west mostly.

This truck will not be a daily driver. I bought a 2022 Toyota 4-Runner TRD Pro Premium for that last year.

It will come with an exhaust break. Is that what you mean by compression brake? Silly question perhaps, but I’m a newbie to these things.

Thanks again!

since it is not your daily driver set it up just for pulling...you wont regret it....bob

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What I am saying is you by two extra tires for minimal gain. Put a set of good, stiff side wall tires on it. Why would someone run 4:30 gears when std 3:55 or close will pull a 36 ft trailer for a lot less fuel. I see a lot of ranchers pulling 36 ft stock trailers, loaded, with 3/4 ton's. Plus look at the registration/license/insurance and initial cost between the two. Having one truck is lot different than having several trucks. Plus if you delete it, you void all warranties.

As far as driving if you have been pulling that shorter trailer, you won't have any problems. Getting into tight places is a chore.If you are looking at a short box, keeping the trailer from coming around and meeting the cab in real short turns can surprise you. The eye opener for me was, although a regular pickup has little traction on the rear wheel if not loaded, driving a dually is like having two balloons in back. With a 5th wheel siting on it, that is a nonproblem

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/11/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SS....my truck is for pulling heavier loads so it will be loaded or pulling when in use so the 4.30s work well....I have owned a few trucks and to be honest when pulling they were all pretty close in fuel milage.

if I was using one truck to do everything then I would go with the singles .....but this truck is pretty much only used to tow......people also used to pull trailers with straight sixes...just cause you can ....he is setting up one truck for towing.

true about the lack of traction with a dually...but as for me I only drive 4 wheel drives....so no problem.

ins/tags/etc is a concern if you are on a tight budget....bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have two F350's equipped with bale beds.

One is DRW, one is SRW.

The DRW has about twice as many leaf springs under it and can handle way more weight without squatting like a bitch.

The SRW was basically unusable with two heavy bales loaded so I installed a set of Timbren's. Massive improvement, a total game changer, they are the real deal.

If I was serious about weight and pulling down the highway I'd go DRW.

If I was pulling and hauling off road I'd go SRW with the Timbren's.

As for driving, no difference between the two until you get in the mud and snow.....lol

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/11/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Won't they let you test drive one??

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SS.....the 4.30s are in my 22 250 7.3 gas.....4.10 in my dually...got them mixed up....sorry for that....bob

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
SS.....the 4.30s are in my 22 250 7.3 gas.....4.10 in my dually...got them mixed up....sorry for that....bob

Thought so. I had 4:10's in my Ford 3/4 T dually gasser. It has been awhile but its' top speed empty was 85 mph,460 engine, 8mpg. 3 mpg going up Loveland and Vail passes. My Ram diesel , with 3:55's would out pull it easily at 12 mpg loaded.

Yea, being retired, I am on a tight budget with all these medical bills

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/12/23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (338Rules, 338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,637 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,110
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.