Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You will have more problems with the firing pins in both Glocks and 1911s than the extractors, but for different reasons. A lot of this goes back to the day when the 40 was first being developed, and made the choice to use a small primer.
The Glock slide starts to pick up the round for chambering and the rim slides under the extractor. Depending on the distance of the extractor from the face of the slide. On firing the striker push the entire round forward until the contact pressure of the round again the extractor is resistant enough to indent the primer. As the striker starts the primer, the primer starts to back out, just like a revolver, and as the powder is ignited and pressure builds the case is forced back reseating the primer, until the force from the bullet mass builds up enough to overcome the weight and spring of the slide and start back. Inertia keeps the case against the slide face until the case is impacted by the ejector. Because Glocks only have one locking lug the distance they "swing" to go into lock up is shorter than a 1911. They will also fire if not in total lock up. (why so many kabooms reported for locks vs. 1911). This is one of the reasons why the Glock firing pin is not round.
1911 lock up depends on the length of swing in the barrel lug. Longer arms push the barrel up more into the slide giving more contact better fit and better accuracy. It also results in firing pin strikes one the top part of the primer. and sometimes misfires.
Thats why Brownells offer offset firing pin holes and bits for re- drilling a 1911 for custom guns that are made to closer tolerances.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
BP-B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice feedback folks, thanks again.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had kkm make a 40 barrel for my glock 20 that was throated out enough to shoot 40s loaded to 10mm lengths. It worked awesome with 180s and 200s where the bullets were long enough to seat out and still have enough in the case fir good grip. It also ship standard 40s great.

I'd long load my 40 cases to the same speeda I did my 10mms. It was basically the same 10mm loads just a little less case up the bullet side. I usually loaded 170s in the 40 case to 1280fps at 1.25" or so length. I'd load 200g xtps to 1150 in 40 cases at 10mm length.

It was great because once fired 40 cases were so cheap I'd just load them once and not chase them. I always wanted to pick up more expensive 10mm cases but back surgery prompted me to try long loaded 40s.

I sold my glock 20 after getting my XDM 10mms. I wish kkm would make a 40 barrel for my xdm 10s. I still have my kkm glock 20 barrel in 40 if someone wants to buy it. I just found it in a box downstairs while looking for something else. It has an extra glock 20 spring with it too but I don't recall how many pounds it is.

I also had a few hundred long loaded 40 rounds left after I sold my glock. I've been shooting them in my xdm 10s and m&p 10 just to use them up. They don't headspace right in the 10s but they still shoot well most of the time.

Bb

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great info, thanks for the info

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've done it in a G20, G29, and a Smith M&P 10mm. No issues at all, accuracy and POI was the same.

That said, I've been able to get 10mm practice ammo at virtually the same price as 40 S&W. I tried it primarily just to see if it would work in an emergency. I don't plan to make it a regular practice unless 10mm ammo becomes unobtainable. I've not bought any 40 S&W ammo, but have been given a few hundred rounds from a guy who sold his pistol and no longer needed the ammo

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Finding inexpensive 10mm ammo is what drove me to try 40's. I scored some American Eagle yesterday for $20. It's a little discolored for some reason. It dawned on me that this 180 at 1050 fps is basically (or low?) 40 velocity with essentially the same or same cost components. Shouldn't cost anymore loaded that slow. I haven't had a single misfire of any kind with the Glock. The S&W is a different story. It's good to have some real 10mm to accuse it properly. I was a little perturbed at it for not working .40 reliably all the time just because the Glock does. I'm a dimwit sometimes!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good posts. JMR, what is your current 'fave flav?'

Glock or S&W? How is POA vs POI on those sights btw? Thanks folks!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[quote=65BR]Anyone using 40 in a 10? I know there was an article by a guy using that in a Glock, IIRC, the OEM 10

Case length for .40S&W is 22.6mm while 10mm auto is 25.2mm. Good luck fellas 😖 You can fire .38 Special in .357 and .44 Soecial in .44 Magnum because in revolver cylinder the cases headspace on the rims. This should not be done in semi-autos like the Desert Eagle.
If you want to do this I would suggest revolver like S&W 610 with moon clips. Another upside to revolver is you can use shot cartridges against serpents.😉

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Slavek
[quote=65BR]Anyone using 40 in a 10? I know there was an article by a guy using that in a Glock, IIRC, the OEM 10

Case length for .40S&W is 22.6mm while 10mm auto is 25.2mm. Good luck fellas 😖 You can fire .38 Special in .357 and .44 Soecial in .44 Magnum because in revolver cylinder the cases headspace on the rims. This should not be done in semi-autos like the Desert Eagle.
If you want to do this I would suggest revolver like S&W 610 with moon clips. Another upside to revolver is you can use shot cartridges against serpents.😉

Wrong.

Maser/Cardenas

Your reading of google and wikepedia and reposting here simply ends up with you parroting bad information. You obviously have no actual hands on experience with firearms, other than airsoft.

With few exceptions, an example of such being the Beretta Model 21 .22 LR which does not have an extractor and is a blowback operated weapon, the very vast majority of semi auto handguns do not headspace on the rim of the cartridge. That is simply the theory.

In reality, they headspace off of the extractor, since the extractor is what holds the cartridge against the breech face. Headspacing (in its simplest form) is restricting a cartridge from going further into the chamber than it should.

Brass cartridges can (and do) have slight variations from one manufacturer to another in terms of overall length. Fortunately, in the case of the semi auto pistol, since the cartridge is held against the breech face, it rarely is an issue. The loader generally only has to size it to spec, and concern himself with the overall length.

Below are a couple pics of a 10mm being held against the face, showing what was described above.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can shoot .40 in a 10mm. I have shot literally thousands of rounds of factory 40 S&W rounds through a Gen 3 Glock 20, with zero issues, as an organiztion was ditching that particular ammo for another type of projectile. In fact I used it to shoot USPSA points matches and practice matches for a little while, until I ran out, then went back to my regular gun and ammo combos.

You can also get a conversion barrel for a 10mm, which I did, but in then end, I found that it was not really needed.

Bottom line is that you can shoot .40 through a 10mm, and "slavek" who is really the diaper wearing weirdo Maser/Cardenas who has been kicked off of here many, many times is not someone you should listen to a s he does not know what he is talking about.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
When the .40 first came out, back around 1990? or thereabouts, I was already shooting a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, and working in a gunshop/shooting range. We got in a case of .40 ammo (Winchester 20round boxes) and as a lark, and out of curiosity, I bought a box and tried them out in my Colt. I had zero issues, they fed, chambered, shot, extracted and ejected just like Winchester's Ranger 10mm loads. Exactly like them.

Curiosity satisfied, I went back to my 10mm ammo, as I had (and still have) a lot of Midway-headstamped Starline brass. I haven't tried that in my current RIA 6" 10mm, but I suspect the outcome would be exactly the same.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great info folks, really appreciate the input!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
When the .40 first came out, back around 1990? or thereabouts, I was already shooting a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, and working in a gunshop/shooting range. We got in a case of .40 ammo (Winchester 20round boxes) and as a lark, and out of curiosity, I bought a box and tried them out in my Colt. I had zero issues, they fed, chambered, shot, extracted and ejected just like Winchester's Ranger 10mm loads. Exactly like them.

Curiosity satisfied, I went back to my 10mm ammo, as I had (and still have) a lot of Midway-headstamped Starline brass. I haven't tried that in my current RIA 6" 10mm, but I suspect the outcome would be exactly the same.

I would not do that in 1911. If you damage extractor you will probably not be able to just drop in spare one while in the field. Not sure about Colt 1911, but I had to use jewelry files and fine grit sand paper to replace extractor in Armscor 1911 pistol. It would not fit in even though it was factory Armscor part for .45ACP gun. You can easily drop in new extractor into modern clunker like a Glock.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve put hundreds and hundreds of 40 through my G20 with ZERO issues. I’ve used both OEM and aftermarket barrels and they all worked flawlessly.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Ignore this dumbfuck…he’s never been right but it doesn’t slow him down.

Mackay knows what he’s doing because he’s actually got the experience….inow Mackay has BTDT while slave boy sucks his thumb and acts like the dumb ass he is.

No issues shooting 40s/w in a Glock 20….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Slavek’s Google fu failed him. Lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Ignore this dumbfuck…he’s never been right but it doesn’t slow him down.

Mackay knows what he’s doing because he’s actually got the experience….inow Mackay has BTDT while slave boy sucks his thumb and acts like the dumb ass he is.

No issues shooting 40s/w in a Glock 20….

You forgot to mention scrubbing chamber and barrel with appropriate brushes and solvent before shooting 10mm in your gun again, especially if you use uncoated lead bullets.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ace for the input Sir.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Similar to ratsmacker, just before the 40 became generally available, I was in the largest rang here in town with my Delta. A couple of the guys working there were friends, one came up with a box of 40's a sales rep had left with him. We fired three of them through the Colt, they fed and ejected OK, ejection was a little sluggish, I think due to the heavy springs I had in it. Never felt the need to do that again.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Was shooting today doing some final chrono testing (confirmation really) of a .40 load that is going to be produced. It is one I have been working on for literally over a year. I passed the 2K round mark in testing and am very happy with the results.

As an aside, while I was out, I put some of the hot .40 rounds through a Gen 5 G20.

They ran through the gun perfectly, just as easily as they ran through the Gen 3 G22.

In my experience .40 S&W has not generally been a particularly accurate cartridge, (excluding custom race guns) and especially when paired with Glocks. For years I generally skipped shooting it (with the exception of when the agency I worked for issued .40s). I preferred 9mms or .45s.

Long story short, I have spent a significant amount of time working on an outdoors/hunting/defense type load that delivered the combination of top end velocity, excellent reliability, and great accuracy.

Today after I shot 50 rounds for the chrono, I shot a couple of 5 round groups over bags.

For a stock Glock barrel, I will say that I am very happy.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good shooting my friend.

Texas bred and born
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 257Bob, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.