Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Have more scopes than rifles. My Kimber Montana 308 currently rides with a zeiss conquest 3-9x40, plex reticle. But I also have a Meopta meostar #4 reticle 3-10x50. Meostar is just a bit heavier. Could also choose from a leupold vxL 3-10x50. Which would you choose? In a lease where we are selective on the bucks we take and they often don’t show up till last light.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Although I'm a big fan of many #4 reticles the Z-plex is no slouch when it comes to low light. I think I'd stick with the smaller Zeiss scope on that rifle unless to your eyes the Meostar seems a lot brighter.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Man I’m just the opposite. More rifles than glass!

Roy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since your goal is extend your shooting time as late into the evening as possible choose which one does that for you at a magnification that is suitable for the ranges you shoot or are likely to shoot on your lease. On those options you provide its going to be all about what you think.
I hunt in the southeast and have the same issue with bucks showing up right at dusk. I find with my scope turning down to 7 power gets me a few more minutes on all my Leupolds and swaros. My ranges are generally 100-150 yards.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Out of everything you have the Meostar will be the most effective at last light. Have owned all those 3 scopes BTW and hunted them all in Alabama .

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Although I'm a big fan of many #4 reticles the Z-plex is no slouch when it comes to low light. I think I'd stick with the smaller Zeiss scope on that rifle unless to your eyes the Meostar seems a lot brighter.

Good suggestion there. Those Conquest 3-9x40 rifle scopes are great. Very hard to beat. I would not expect the Meopta to be much better in any regard.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by handwerk

Good suggestion there. Those Conquest 3-9x40 rifle scopes are great. Very hard to beat. I would not expect the Meopta to be much better in any regard.

It is better in lowlight especially under the conditions he is hunting.

RLA Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a Steyr THB in 308 with 20" barrel, topping it off with a 3-9x40 Conquest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to see my first Zeiss or MeOpta hold zero,track or repeat...though they are chockfull of Fluff,that swoons them who don't shoot. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've yet to see my first Zeiss or MeOpta hold zero,track or repeat...though they are chockfull of Fluff,that swoons them who don't shoot. Hint................

Yeah, it's because you're special.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually shooting,tends to skew things and you "get" to read about. Hint.

You Do NOTHING Clueless Fhuqktards are a hoot and couldn't begin to "critique" a bottle of water by yourselves. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a meostar and conquest. Between the two the Meostar is brighter and better. It keeps up with my Zeiss Victory. But both scope will do the job. I would be worried about the balance of the rifle with a 50mm objective.
I have been thinking of selling my scopes and going with illuminated reticles. But with either scope, I'm already past shooting times. Open fields in the morning are really dangerous. I would suggest a good pair of binoculars if you really need to make positive ID.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You got it right the first time. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used all three scopes at low light. To my eyes the Meopta wins. All three of these scopes have capped turrets and did not try them for tracking although they were easy to sight in so tracking seems fine.

Zero retention has not been a problem with any of them.

Stick has no concept of how we hunt and how well these scopes work in our part of the world.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From among the choices given I'd choose the one with the reticle I like the best.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you`re limited by time, 30 mins. before and 30 mins after, and you adhear to the time, the scopes you mention will work.

Otherwise, a strong spotlite is the ticket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crazy thought. Take all three scopes out in field or field- like conditions and see for your own self.

You don’t have a bad or wrong option, just a personal preference. So make one.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
If you`re limited by time, 30 mins. before and 30 mins after, and you adhear to the time, the scopes you mention will work.

Otherwise, a strong spotlite is the ticket.

How do you know, DO you live where the OP lives and hunt where the OP hunts? I can tell you that I had a 50mm Leica scope give out 5 minutes before last shooting light in a bottom I hunted last year. It got that dark.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think meopta made that conquest for zeiss and was spec'd similar to the meopro. The meostar is a big upgrade over the meopro.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Out of everything you have the Meostar will be the most effective at last light. Have owned all those 3 scopes BTW and hunted them all in Alabama .

I agree. Still have 2 Conquests and 2 Meostar R1's. The Meostar is a superior low light scope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.