Print Thread
Hop To
B
Burr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Feels like such an odd selection to me - but looking seriously at this style of scope to put on my bolt action 35 Whelen.

I seem to be getting drawn to these higher end scopes that don't have the overwhelming objective diameter lens.

Feels odd to me, because it is different than scopes I selected in the past. Seems like a lot of things that just measure up better. 1-10 power provides a wider field of view at the lower magnification range - as compared to what has been my standard scope 3.5-10 power. It's lighter. More compact. Typically see this style of scope marketed for AR style guns - but I feel like this is a good choice for my bolt action too.

Somebody with more optics education needs to set me straight.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Reasons not to consider this scope for hunting: Almost 22 oz is super heavy for a straight tube scope. The reticle sucks for hunting for some folks. And the 34mm tube size is a complete pita for scope ring selection due to lack of options say compared to a 30mm or 1" tube. At 11" long it is not in the compact category at all.

That said, a compact lightweight straight tube scope with a good reticle and illumination that really works correctly would be a perfect fit on a bolted 35 Whelen. Not thinking you need 10 power for that setup.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
glass sucks above 6x

from memory illumination does too.

and on lpvo i'd rank illumination and glasss (with durability a given) over a certain magnification range.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What are you using it for? I run a 1-6 Accupoint on one of my Whelens. The 1x is huge when you're packing meat and are worried about bears... otherwise the scope is mostly set on 3 to 6. I don't find 6x to be a problem shooting game out to 300 yards, but 300 is the furthest I've killed an animal with it.

What's your thinking on the 1x? Still hunting? Big bears?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Because the ocular is huge, I doubt a Remington 700 or clone bolt handle would clear easily.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drool,

What is the ocular diameter and where does "huge" start in Texas?. I know you gals don't shoot much and guess at everything. Hint.

As an aside,what is the base/ring combo you are using,to arrange said debacle? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Above six power, this scope is useless. The eye box is very particular. The reticle is not suitable for most hunting. It is heavy. You can do better.

Last edited by drop_point; 05/13/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Drool,

What is the ocular diameter and where does "huge" start in Texas?. I know you gals don't shoot much and guess at everything. Hint.

As an aside,what is the base/ring combo you are using,to arrange said debacle? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Stick, Lay your mitts on one and you'll agree, besides the oversized ocular, this thing is useless, if it weren't for the true 1x on the low end allowing for both eyes open, it wouldn't have any redeemable qualities. It's bad enough that I almost regret trading a Leupold for it, at least you could see thru the Leupold at max power and the reticle was usable.

I will dig it out of the safe and measure the ocular and report back.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I took the Athlon BTR 2-12x42 off my 20” 35 Whelen and put the 1-4x24 SWFA on it. So far I like the combo and I don’t see any reason for more X’s on the top end of this rifle. For what I plan to use this rifle for this setup should be about ideal for me. I’ll put the BTR 2-12 on the 338wm I’m building putting together.

After having spent some time behind this scope I will say that Paul B was right…the eye box is a little finicky and not as generous as my other scopes but it’s definitely workable and everything else about the scope I like.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not? China?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry ladies,I was laughing elsewhere. Hint.

As Optics go,"tantalizing" zoom ratios,never bear ANY fhuqking fruit. Even them fruits in Spandex. Hint.

I've never even heard of a 2-12x,especially on a Boomer. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

As Bear Killing goes,I'm cool to shave a literal pound. Hint.

Though if only in "fairness". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.