Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Bought a lb of 4350 at a local store Friday. $50….. the tin can it replaced said $18…. We do what we need to to keep a bit of stock on hand for the ones that like that variety. But the Big Game was $30…… They deserve our support for keeping it sane in the powder isle. Shame no Hunter to be found. I think the “word” might be getting out
In my '06 with 130's and in my 7-08, I like BG more than 4350, although it's a good powder. I have a big jug of H-4350, a big jug of BG and one of Hunter. And, plenty of mag primers, not as many std. LR primers.

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by StumpDodger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bsa you use that vintage 130 gr nbt 's on game and you will be mighty [bleep] unhappy. Those fuggs blow up on contact
Mb

I guess you could say I dodged a bullet a few weeks ago at an old duffer's estate sale. There were two red and green unopened boxes of 7mm 140 gr NPBT for $25 each. I called my brother-in-law to see if he wanted them for his 7x57 and he said he had plenty of ammo and cases.

The original sale sticker on each box was $16.69

They should (hopefully) hold together well enough for some Prairie Dog shooting! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by memtb
Bsa you use that vintage 130 gr nbt 's on game and you will be mighty [bleep] unhappy. Those fuggs blow up on contact
Mb

I guess you could say I dodged a bullet a few weeks ago at an old duffer's estate sale. There were two red and green unopened boxes of 7mm 140 gr NPBT for $25 each. I called my brother-in-law to see if he wanted them for his 7x57 and he said he had plenty of ammo and cases.

They should (hopefully) hold together well enough for some Prairie Dog shooting! 😉 memtb
For sure on PD's. I could think of a better PD round than a .270, although it'll for sure whack'em.

May bet a bit tiresome after a long string of PD shots.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MAC
Prices haven't but availability did. I was unable to get my hands on Varget for a long time so I laid in 2 lbs each of Ramshot TAC and Win 748 which are very close to Varget in the buring rate charts. As long as I can get Varget for my 308 that is what I will shoot. But if I can't get it I can at least develop loads with the other 2 powders.

MAC, for your 308, you should try some CFE223 as well:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've been buying it for $33-$37/pound. It works very well in 308 winchester rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Availability more than price here, I've been burning a lot of Accurate and a bit of VV to take up the slack for unobtanium Hodgdon powders.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CFE 223 works great in .35 Whelen, too! Speer online data has some good starting points.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by memtb
Mb

For sure on PD's. I could think of a better PD round than a .270, although it'll for sure whack'em.

May bet a bit tiresome after a long string of PD shots.

DF

I wish that I knew of a place nearby where I could do an extended string of PD shooting! Darn near an endangered species in my parts! 😞 I have a bunch of 130 blems that I’d like to use on PDs! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/15/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That one is a 30-30 bullet. Best not to push it beyond about 2,400 fps, which is still plenty for a deer.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gojoe
Other than availability, I have always bought the same powders. Unless there was a compelling reason to buy some thing else due to a big difference in price. I've never used vihtavuori powders, they were way too expensive. Now that IMR powders have gotten in the neighborhood of $50. It's might be time to switch. All the time wishing Noma and Noble sport Vectan powders were still available at any reasonable price.

Anyone using RamShot powders?

COVID got me started using Ramshot Tac, Big Game, and Hunter, VV N-560, Hodgdon CFE-223, and Nobel Sport Vectan T-7000. I got excellent results with all of them, and I now have enough of each to keep me going for a while.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by okie john

That one is a 30-30 bullet. Best not to push it beyond about 2,400 fps, which is still plenty for a deer.

Okie John

Are those “rainbow bullets” 😊?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Gojoe
Other than availability, I have always bought the same powders. Unless there was a compelling reason to buy some thing else due to a big difference in price. I've never used vihtavuori powders, they were way too expensive. Now that IMR powders have gotten in the neighborhood of $50. It's might be time to switch. All the time wishing Noma and Noble sport Vectan powders were still available at any reasonable price.

Anyone using RamShot powders?

I was at a shop north of Bangor last Thursday and was surprised at the amount of powder they had. Unfortunately the "cheap" stuff was $50 per pound and it went up from there. They had lots of Varget at $59.

Lots of primers also but no LR primers.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Okie John

Yep, they work great in my new 30-30.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WAM
CFE 223 works great in .35 Whelen, too! Speer online data has some good starting points.

I've been using more and more of it, since it is available and priced right. Same can be said for StaBall 6.5.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Okie John

Are those “rainbow bullets” 😊?

Pretty huh? Here are some I just bought yesterday for my 2 new 270 rifles:

The prices on H powder is coming down a little bit in my area too. Glad to see that!!!!

Then I bought this old 8 pound keg last month for $200.00.

Got to do what you can these days, and that sure does include buying Ramshot powder, or buying powder you normally wouldn't think of. Gunshows or even pawn shops and local gunshops are places to look for. One thing I've noticed over the last couple years is some shops are actually selling more older kegs, or steel can 1 pounders.
(In this pic, the steel can of IMR7828 cost me $15.00 and I used it like it was going out of style. The X-terminator was $30/pound. Thank god for Ramshot OP!!!)..

Guys knowing prices are high, and bringing in surplus stuff for shops to sell has helped out more than a few guys. Always be aware though. Know what you are looking at. In the case of the AA3100 shown above, it was a sealed container, but I asked if I could open it before I bought it. For testing, I started out load development on the low end and worked up, checking velocities with a chronograph. Making sure it matched book velocities. Luckily it has been working great. A discontinued powder I have not seen since about 2010.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cabelas in Gonzales, LA, had a decent selection of Accurate and Ramshot powder. Other brands, not so much. No primers, of course.

I could live with Accurate and Ramshot powders. They cover most of what I reload for. Could get by.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had really good luck out of Hunter and TAC. Hunter works well in almost everything and TAC is a beast in my 358. Easy to work with and consistent metering. Ive got a few pounds of Big Game but havent had much luck with it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cabelas in Gonzales, LA, had a decent selection of Accurate and Ramshot powder. Other brands, not so much. No primers, of course.

I could live with Accurate and Ramshot powders. They cover most of what I reload for. Could get by.

DF

How were the prices?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman

DF

How were the prices?
Pretty good. IIRC $39 or so, NOT the $50 you see some places.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Had really good luck out of Hunter and TAC. Hunter works well in almost everything and TAC is a beast in my 358. Easy to work with and consistent metering. Ive got a few pounds of Big Game but havent had much luck with it.
What rounds have you tried BG in?

One of my most accurate '06 loads is 125-130 gr bullets over 59 gr. BG. Fast and accurate.

It's also a champ in my 7-08 with 120 and 140 gr bullets.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BSA, I've read than 3100 is very similar to if not the same as 4831.

For sure there are lot to lot as well as mfg. variations with the 4831 family, probably with that one.

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 60 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.