Print Thread
Hop To
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am looking for some recommendations for where to hunt deer in the Vero Beach are of Florida, Indian River county.

There are several wildlife refuges around, wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to try first.

Plan on doing some scouting about before the season.

Last edited by blammer; 05/13/23.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This isnt exactly what your looking for in an answer but just investigate those public grounds. Many in FL have quota hunts and you have to draw for those. Once you get drawn expect a crowd. I only had to witness one of those hunts on a public area in SWFL. After that I got in a lease on private for the next 30 years. One option if your willing to get in a lease is Georgia. Your not that far from there.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
thanks, I was discovering some of that so we'll see what I find.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
This isnt exactly what your looking for in an answer but just investigate those public grounds. Many in FL have quota hunts and you have to draw for those. Once you get drawn expect a crowd. I only had to witness one of those hunts on a public area in SWFL. After that I got in a lease on private for the next 30 years. One option if your willing to get in a lease is Georgia. Your not that far from there.
And fyi, the time to put in for those quota hunts is right now.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you have the time (years usually), consider putting in time learning easy to get or non quota areas. Some folks only hunt prime WMAs and only get drawn every 5-9 years. Then fuss about never getting a permit or getting to hunt. To heck with waiting that long for a good 3 day hunt. I almost exclusively hunt 2 wma that are local, easy to get and neither require a permit after the first 9 days. I generally kill 2-4 deer a year on these WMAs that people notoriously hate (one for its "lack of deer" and the other because their's too many people). I don't even think I'm a great hunter. You just have to put in your time and be persistent, and don't take it too seriously. You're going to get aggravated by somebody, just roll with it and stick it out. It also helps not to be too picky on what you shoot.

I'm not real familiar with the area around Vero, but I don't think 3 lakes is too far from there and there is a lot of private land that borders it that holds a good amount of deer.

I may look at things differently as I am a dog hunter, but don't overlook still hunting in a dog hunt area. A lot of folks are turned off by it, and because of that, the woods away from the roads aren't nearly as crowded as they are in a still hunt area. Also, most folks don't run hounds until dark. The woods usually quiet down and the deer that may have held tight most of the day usually move around a bit. The deer kinda pattern the hunters. If you can get past listening to/seeing dogs, that's what I'd do.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is some very good hunting lands west of Vero in the vicinity of Yeehaw Junction. It is all privately owned and you will need to do a little research to make contact with the owners. Some of the properties are hunted via lease to local hunting clubs.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
thanks guys! no dog hunters don't bother me and I'm not very picky about what I shoot. I like venison, and does have good venison too. smile

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Read up on W
Originally Posted by blammer
thanks guys! no dog hunters don't bother me and I'm not very picky about what I shoot. I like venison, and does have good venison too. smile
Read up on WMA regs. Most don't allow does to be taken except during archery. Some don't allow that.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I have lived in Vero Beach for about 15 years, and about 25 in Florida.
Having said that ive never hunted here.
I still go back to our NC PA camp for hunting.
But i am very familiar with the area as i do quite alot of traveling around for fishing.
I spend much of my time fishing in the Fort Drum Marsh area, which is west of Vero beach.
It is a large area and open for hunting by permit, rifles are permitted.
I saw a guy who took 2 deer on the same day this past season at the Rt 60 entrance.
A very nice 8 point buck and a young doe.
I believe they took about 25 deer in total from that one location this past year.
That would be in Indian River County about 25 miles from Vero.
There are lots of deer in that region, but most of them would be on private ranches.
Realize that from Rt 95 traveling west, its about 75 miles to the next town.

Last edited by yobuck; 05/19/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by yobuck
But i am very familiar with the area as i do quite alot of traveling around for fishing.
I spend much of my time fishing in the Fort Drum Marsh area, which is west of Vero beach.
I saw a guy who took 2 deer on the same day this past season at the Rt 60 entrance.
I believe they took about 25 deer in total from that one location this past year.
There are lots of deer in that region, but most of them would be on private ranches.
It's been 45 years since I've been, but we sure had a lot of fun going to town. The Desert Inn in Yeehaw Junction and the Red Gator in Kenansville could be really exciting on the weekends.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
It's been 45 years since I've been, but we sure had a lot of fun going to town. The Desert Inn in Yeehaw Junction and the Red Gator in Kenansville could be really exciting on the weekends.
I think the Desert Inn is the building a truck ran through a few years ago. Might have been closed before that happened though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Watching this thread closely.

I'm about 20 miles north of Vero Beach, near Sebastian inlet, beachside.

Have studied those WMA's in the St John's basin, including Ft Drum and a couple of others, but have not made any moves except to go fishing over there (Stick Marsh/Farm 13, Headwaters, etc. ).

I'd be thrilled with a hog even, and am considering packing some hog medicine on my fishing trips until I can get a bead on a decent hunting area.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I think the Desert Inn is the building a truck ran through a few years ago. Might have been closed before that happened though.
Yes, its located at the intersection of Rt 60 and Rt 441 and just about a city block west of the Vero beach turnpike exit.
Its been very run down for a long while and should really be torn down.
There are also lots of turkeys in the area.
About a week ago i counted 13 gobblers in a pasture on the road back to Blue Cypress lake.
I often see deer along that road as well.
But youve got to be watching for them, and not just have your eyes looking straight ahead as most do.

And having binoculars along is also important.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I live right up the road in Central Brevard County. I hunt in SE Alabama and the deer are way bigger there. I recon there is not a lot of nutrition in Palmettos.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.