Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Going back to Conne River outfitters this fall and taking a new SAKO S 20 in .30-06. Curiously as to bullets size you guys are using. I have used a 300 wsm the last 2 hunts. Taking the .06 as a back up gun.

Thanks.

GB1

W
W
I've never used an 06 on moose, but I've had great results with 180 grain core lokts out of a 308. I'd have zero issues using the same bullet in my 30-06.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a good supply of 180gr NPs just for that occasion in a 30-06. Speer GSs if they shoot better.

One thing I noticed in SW Newfoundland while there hunting a couple yrs ago is that one really should carry a set of shooting sticks as there is the potential of a longer shot and not much to shoot from. Shooting prone didn't seem to be much of an option as the low scrub would prohibit this. The moose I shot was at about 275 yds. I was lucky as there was a huge rock we could hide behind and shoot from off my hat.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I had a nice rock to shoot 267 years with a 7 mm rem mag Browning lever.

I was thinking of the NP’s in 180. I ‘ll try them. Waiting for a new S&B scope to mount on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by abbydog
I had a nice rock to shoot 267 years with a 7 mm rem mag Browning lever.

Didn't you hunt with Westwoods with Stewart Butland?

IC B2

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Conne River in 2018 and Tuckamore Lodge in 2021

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed many moose with these. As in "Dead In Their Tracks", Dead.

Devastating.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/16/23.

KB

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have mostly used 180 Corelokts. Used 165 Fed Hi-shok? Once, never again. Immediate expansion and separation. Somehow, I think those things are for 100lb deer and coyotes or wolves! smile. 2 shots, tho either would have killed, fortunately the second one through a washtub-size opening broke his spine as he bolted away through heavy cover. Snap shot.

Also 150 a couple times, Superperformace one of those, dunno about the other. Worked.

Last edited by las; 05/17/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used 220 Core Lokts. Bad medicine.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
200 Nosler PT or Accubond is never a bad choice.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Like most handloaders, I split hairs. Always looking for the ideal bullet when any number of regular ones will work fine. Most any 180 grain soft point would be deadly in the 30-06. Actually anything between 165 and 200 would probably be dandy. We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to bullets today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed a lot of moose with the 30-06, in the early days we used Winchester Silver tips.

The optimum bullet for the 06 is 165 gr, Hornady BTSP or SST work like a charm on moose. Avoid fed blue box and winchester

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 06 shoots the 200 grain Partition better than the 180 of same make. My 06 has a 1-11 inch twist; Lilja barrel.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our extended group has taken several with handloads 180gr AccuBonds from several different 06 rifles. No complaints from any of the hunters. We use the same bullet in the 300 WSM's. 200gr in Win and RUM rifles. Just got a .340WBY and am having a 300 Norma built right now, they will both be going to Buchans with me in 2024.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have more than a few with a number of different bullets. Barnes X of about any model, 165 or 168 gr. I have never recovered one and the difference in meat loss is significant. Literally you can "eat right up to the hole" and not worry about lead particles in your food.

Noslers of every type kill just fine... but the mess they leave is ridiculous. I have used many 30 calibers including 308Norma, 300H&H, 300SAUM, 300WM with a number of different bullets. The difference is so stark the 30-06 is the only rifle I have moose hunted with for a decade or so.

I have seen a number of Accubonds used on lots of different critters and have never seen an exit. I insist on exits virtually every time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been using a 165 Nosler Ballistic tip for NF moose out of my 308 at 2740 MV… Hole in one shoulder and out the other shoulder… Bull made it 40 yards? After the shot.. Took a couple bull elk with this bullet,will be using the same this year outta my 30-06 for another 2023 NF moose hunt… Tough enough projectile in IMO.

Entrance
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Exit
Bullet sectioned

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
In the next month or so we will be off to the range and break in the new rifle. I’ll pickup a box of NOsler 165 BT. Back in the 60’s and 70’s we had Core Lokt and Silvertips!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the fun of it you should buy a box of Winchester SuperX PowerPoints, they are inexpensive and are absolute Moose Slayers. Your rifle just may love them, like mine does. I use 180 gr.

Best of luck smile

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Going back to Conne River outfitters this fall and taking a new SAKO S 20 in .30-06. Curiously as to bullets size you guys are using. I have used a 300 wsm the last 2 hunts. Taking the .06 as a back up gun.

Thanks.

My Dad and I have shot 7 with the 180 grain winchester Power Point.

This is a very underrated bullet

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skatchewan

Thanks.

My Dad and I have shot 7 with the 180 grain winchester Power Point.

This is a very underrated bullet

Yeppers, deadly on Moose!

Used to be inexpensive until recently as well, from $28.00 to $52.00, gotta love inflation.

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/30/23.

KB

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I’m going to try 2 or 3 of those recommended. Thanks so much. Looking forward to the trip and reporting back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck abbydog, it will be fun finding out which bullet your rifle loves best hey?

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/01/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... an older (late 70s) Canadian friend of mine from Saskatchewan has shot plenty of Canadian moose with his Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 Sprng ... with few exceptions 1-shot kills ... like most in his age group his eyesight has declined ... the gun is currently topped with an ancient Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8x scope with "command post" reticle from the 70s he dug out of a musty cupboard in his basement ... he'll probably do the same this fall if Trudeau doesn't take his rifle from him (it's a semi-auto) ... his ammo? ... factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ... the Canadian Tire price tag on the box "SALE PRICE $6.95"

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
abbydog -- wishing you the best on your hunt.

On the moose loads I shoot 165gr out of my 06 and have had great results on both elk and moose. All of the animals I have shot with the 06 are under 300 yds (with 90% under 200) and no follow up required.

quote=pricedo]... ... his ammo? ... factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ... the Canadian Tire price tag on the box "SALE PRICE $6.95"[/quote]

Nice price --- salaries were low in those days as well so that would be a major savings.

Hugh
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HughW
abbydog -- wishing you the best on your hunt.

On the moose loads I shoot 165gr out of my 06 and have had great results on both elk and moose. All of the animals I have shot with the 06 are under 300 yds (with 90% under 200) and no follow up required.

quote=pricedo]... ... his ammo? ... factory 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt ... the Canadian Tire price tag on the box "SALE PRICE $6.95"

Nice price --- salaries were low in those days as well so that would be a major savings.[/quote]

… I hope he gets to keep his REM 742 and join the hunt this year … 15 years with the RCMP and 12 with the Edmonton Police Service so he would unfortunately be among the law abiding crime free group that Trudeau is in a big hurry to disarm

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
In the 70’s that’s all you can buy was 180 grain Core Lokt. I’m picking up some bullets today, hopefully the shop will have what I’m looking for in stock.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In the 70’s that’s all you can buy was 180 grain Core Lokt. I’m picking up some bullets today, hopefully the shop will have what I’m looking for in stock.

... and they did the job ... "THE DEADLIEST MUSHROOM IN THE WOODS" ... seemingly all the dead bear, deer & moose never knew that Core-Lokt is not a "premium" bullet ... Sssshh ... don't tell anybody

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if your buying ammo i would buy 180 gr. Nosler Partition loaded ammo , if your a reloader 180 gr. Nosler Partitions are still a great choice. good luck ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pete53
if your buying ammo i would buy 180 gr. Nosler Partition loaded ammo , if your a reloader 180 gr. Nosler Partitions are still a great choice. good luck ,Pete53

... Nosler brand factory ammo ... good luck finding that north of the 49th ... I've seen a few boxes of Federal blue box (decent ammo with core n'cup bullets) in the Canadian Tire Stores up there ... plenty accurate for shooting an animal the size of a hwy billboard at 50 yds ... in heavy canuck brush you won't see them much farther than that unless you're hunting timberland clear cuts which can be a 1000 yds or more wide

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Before they were discontinued, used Hdy. 190gr BTSP. Now, a 208gr or 178gr ELD-M. Either bullet in either a .308Win or .30-'06. Doing some loads with 225gr ELD-M in the .308, still experimenting to see what it will group. If it works out, will probably use them exclusively.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pricedo

... Nosler brand factory ammo ... good luck finding that north of the 49th ... I've seen a few boxes of Federal blue box (decent ammo with core n'cup bullets) in the Canadian Tire Stores up there ... plenty accurate for shooting an animal the size of a hwy billboard at 50 yds ... in heavy canuck brush you won't see them much farther than that unless you're hunting timberland clear cuts which can be a 1000 yds or more wide

i bet Lost River Ammo would build some ammo or some others would for a price ,just got to be smart enough to know how to find ammo or load ammo yourself.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A decent idea, though perhaps not for the confirmed handloader, is to buy some of the ammo listed on GB right now. 30-06 ammo featuring the Barnes TTSX or the Fed Trophy Bonded Tip are available in quantity for roughly $35 a box. A fellow could do much worse than to buy a bunch of these. A few hundred bucks would yield a lifetime’s worth of premium hunting ammo.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Canuck Shooter - try heating an SST in a low propane flame until the tip erupts. Let it cool and clean up the minimal residue with a pin. Devastating is an understatement.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

i bet Lost River Ammo would build some ammo or some others would for a price ,just got to be smart enough to know how to find ammo or load ammo yourself.

... considering my first 3 moose were shot with a Winchester 94 levergun in 30-30 with 170 gr Core-Lokts (2 were 1-shot kills) just about anything off the shelf in 30-06 Sprng should do the job ... I'd go with the heaviest bullet which is usually 180 grain ... certainly wouldn't be paying double bubble for so called premium ammo ... you can't get deader than dead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am with you pricedo, I have killed big bull moose at long range with Winchester SuperX 180 Gr. for $28.00 a box at Canadian Tire.

Plus out of my .30-06 they are super accurate. I see no reason to upgrade to expensive "New Technology - Fancy Dance" cartridges. Dead is Dead.

450 Yards, cost of cartridge $1.47 a cartridge cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/26/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I am with you pricedo, I have killed big bull moose at long range with Winchester SuperX 180 Gr. for $28.00 a box at Canadian Tire.

Plus out of my .30-06 they are super accurate. I see no reason to upgrade to expensive "New Technology - Fancy Dance" cartridges. Dead is Dead.

450 Yards, cost of cartridge $1.47 a cartridge cool

… but, but, but the premium ammo is guaranteed! … guaranteed to lighten your wallet that is 🤪

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While moose can be killed with plain vanilla shells some of us are more comfortable using Nosler Partitions. Based on years of experience with them I know exactly what to expect each and every time.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
While moose can be killed with plain vanilla shells some of us are more comfortable using Nosler Partitions. Based on years of experience with them I know exactly what to expect each and every time.

Jim

After years of experience with Winchester SuperX on both moose and deer, I can say the same thing, all but 1 moose dropped dead in its tracks.

I am also a Nosler Fan, I shoot Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs 190 gr. out of my .300 Win Mag. Nosler are also excellent IMO. Very Pricy in comparison though.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/27/23.

KB

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The cost of premium bullets is peanuts compared to the overall cost of the hunt. Nobody said that standard slugs won’t work; only that premiums offer an advantage for certain specific situations. Why not stack the deck in your favor? FWIW, my choice in moose bullets also takes grizzlies into consideration. I’ve seen a few up close and don’t trust them one bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Grizz in NFLD, just black bears. I kill them with arrows, don't even need a .30-06 hehe.

KB

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No Grizz in NFLD, just black bears. I kill them with arrows, don't even need a .30-06 hehe.

A well placed arrow will do in any beast on the planet. Just be sure to use a premium broadhead. 🤭

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

... after turdo throws all the guns into blast furnaces and melts them you'll still be hunting ... you can make bows out of natural materials unless turdo plans on banning trees as well

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If ever there was a time for the 220 grain Core Lokt, this ought to be it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... the woke gang will be going after hunting in earnest ... no hunting ... no legal need for guns ... within 10 years the rich & connected and the indigenous peoples will be the only ones legally permitted to hunt in Canada ... enjoy shooting & hunting while you can ... the last hunting generation in Canada

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Hornady 180 and 200g, they act like partitions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR

A well placed arrow will do in any beast on the planet. Just be sure to use a premium broadhead. 🤭

As Folklore has it re the word: Premium

Here is a Premium 10,000-year-old arrowhead that they were using to kill big game way back then.

The reason why it's a Premium Arrowhead is that when the Indian Chief asked the arrowhead maker to make him 6 and asked what he would charge for his arrowheads, he said "Your 18-year-old daughter to be his wife". Her name was Breasts Feeds Many and she was beautiful!

The Chief said why do your arrowheads cost so much, the arrowhead maker said "These are my Premium Arrowheads and they take a lot of time and skill to make!" The deal was struck, and the arrowhead maker increased his lineage by 8 more kids and he did live a very long and happy life with Breasts Feeds Many.

As folklore has it, this arrowhead maker was the first to use the word Premium and became famous for his Premium Arrowheads, and the number of wives he had, and all of the children he sired.

Sitting Bull was one of his direct descendants.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/28/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by keith
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Hornady 180 and 200g, they act like partitions.

... I like 180 grain Core-Lokts and Power Points because they act like 180 grain Core-Lokts and Power Points and kill moose dead on the first shot and leave enough money in my wallet so the wind won't blow it away

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If ever there was a time for the 220 grain Core Lokt, this ought to be it.

I killed a cow moose a couple years ago with a 220 grain Hornady Interloc, Frontal shot at about 100 yards.

It was inpressive. Shook her to the core, she turned to walk away, a second through the ribs broadsie and she dropped straight down

S
S
I have used 130 grain accubonds in my .270 on Alberta Whitetails and mule deer for many years. 11 large body deer later I still have to recover a bullet.
All exits, mix of slightly diagonal and broadside positions.
Mv 3046 fps. What gives eh?

S
S
Yes, most likely.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have used 150, 165, 180 , '06 bullets, vanilla and premium, on about half or the 21 or 22 moose I've killed. Not counting several road-hits I've finished with a .22Mag. (not mine - trooper finished that one with 12 ga)

It doesn't matter, used and placed appropriately. Personally, I prefer the 180, just cuz.

Calibers I've used, are .243, 30-30, 308 Norma mag, .338WM, 270, 30-06, and 12 ga with slugs. Used and placed appropriately, that too just doesn't matter all that much. Dead is dead.

I'll second pricedo above.

JJHack, who used to post here, and has far more experience with deading animals than I, stated that he thought the 165 is just about ideal in the 06, Won't/Can't argue with that - but I still like the 180. smile

Aaguard, shooting into wet newspapers I think, concluded the 180 had better penetration than the heavier bullets. Not sure how important that is (personally, I like blowing holes to daylight), and I also think that he did not test premiums at the time, only vanilla.

Don't overthink it - accuracy/placement with your rifle is more important than flavors or serving amounts, within reason.

Last edited by las; 07/18/23.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
JJHack, who used to post here, and has far more experience with deading animals than I, stated that he thought the 165 is just about ideal in the 06, Won't/Can't argue with that - but I still like the 180. smile

When I started Big Game Hunting with a .30-06 I was told that 165 gr. are the best rounds for a .30-06.

Like you, I went straight for the 180 gr, more oomph for the same money lol

My .30-06 loves them 180 gr., shoots them like a laser beam and whatever they hit is DOA.

KB

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m a big fan of 180 Partitions in my .30-06. They’ve worked great for me on moose and all sorts of other game in North America, as well as 7 animals (including Eland) on my recent trip to Africa.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shot 165's for a lot of years in 308 But never used a 30-06 until maybe five yeares ago. Only bullet I use in it is 180gr Hornady spire point. Always figured the 165 was perfect ib the 308 and 180 perfect in the 30-06. Three dead elk with three shots, not to bad!

Last edited by DonFischer; 07/18/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve never drawn a moose tag, but I have taken several elk with my .30-06.

The 165 grain Nosler Accubond has been incredibly effective. It is my favorite “all-around” bullet in the .30-06.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

... and they did the job ... "THE DEADLIEST MUSHROOM IN THE WOODS" ... seemingly all the dead bear, deer & moose never knew that Core-Lokt is not a "premium" bullet ... Sssshh ... don't tell anybody
Critters die, but then you have to pick through the remains to decide what to keep to eat...

I have seen thousands of pounds ruined by Core-Lokt (will NEVER shoot them again) and Noslers... Not bad until you look at meat ruined...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hint... Partitions kill very well... but ruin a LOT of meat in the process.

Your call...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Your call...

I rarely lost any meat with Winchester SuperX Power Points, but I never shoulder shoot which seems to be an American preference.

80+% of my shots are at the lungs or the heart, the balance neck, or head.

Last edited by KillerBee; 07/19/23.

KB

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Your call...

I rarely lost any meat with Winchester SuperX Power Points, but I never shoulder shoot which seems to be an American preference.

80+% of my shots are at the lungs or the heart, the balance neck, or head.

Same.

And most of that "blood shot" is usually trim able. The blood is mostly in the membranes and creases between the meat masses.

Shooting them through the meatier pieces, or much bone mass, tho, will blood shoot into the muscle for a fair distance around the hole.

Hint: you do not want to glove-fumble-fuq shoot a caribou through both hinds with an SST 150 Super-performance at 200 yards...... Everything forward was good tho.... Just take my word for it. frown

On the other hand, my wife shot a 3 year old bull moose with .243 100 gr., either NP, or Corelokt at 70-80 yds.. Probably NP.

Penciled thru, missed ribs both sides, lungs were just jellied with blood. He walked 30-40 feet, behind a screen of brush, stood there for a minute or so and tipped over. Meat loss was 4-6 ounces, basically 2 inches up and down from the hole between the two ribs on both sides. Almost identical to a caribou I shot at 413 yards with the 150SP several years ago.

I had minimal loss with a shotgun slug at @ 35 yards, through the big artery just under the spine. No bone hit, just a 12 ga hole perfectly centered through the artery. It was a quick running wing shot with just a front bead, and I took him high.... but I'll take it.

Lost about a 3 inch diameter circle of meat around the hole - half .lb maybe.

I'll take a couple pounds of meat loss per moose or caribou, if necessary. No quibbling. The % works for me.

Last edited by las; 07/19/23.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like this week I’ll sight in the 06 with a variety of ammo recommended. The humidity finally broke this morning after a week or two of blah weather as experienced my many of you throughout the country.
We won’t have to bat the mosquitoes away!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you are going to give them Winchester SuperX PowerPoints in 180 gr. a try, your rifle may love them as mine does!

Are you shooting from 100 or 2000 yards? I would like to see pictures of the targets when you are done.

Best of luck sir!

Last edited by KillerBee; 07/30/23.

KB

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
168 ttsx or 180 game kings for me. both have performed excellent on elk and off season on paper the game Kings are moa all day long at great price. (If you reload)

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My last Moose was a Cow that dressed out at 554 lbs. I shot her with Remington Core-Lokt 220 grains. Excellent performance

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Critters die, but then you have to pick through the remains to decide what to keep to eat...

I have seen thousands of pounds ruined by Core-Lokt (will NEVER shoot them again) and Noslers... Not bad until you look at meat ruined...
Worst blood shot mess I had on a Moose was with a 450 Marlin using a 350 grain Interlock

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Killer Bee,

Picked up the Winchester Power Points yesterday at Cabela’s.

Next week we are heading to the range and sight in at 100 yards. Then to another range for 200 yards. I bought a new SAKO S20 and have plenty of .30-06 bullets to break in the barrel.
I’ll track each brand and bullet size/grain.
Also have a Browning X Bolt 300 WSM to try out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killer Bee,

Picked up the Winchester Power Points yesterday at Cabela’s.

Next week we are heading to the range and sight in at 100 yards. Then to another range for 200 yards. I bought a new SAKO S20 and have plenty of .30-06 bullets to break in the barrel.
I’ll track each brand and bullet size/grain.
Also have a Browning X Bolt 300 WSM to try out.

Looking forward to seeing your results, what did you pay for them? For 20 years right up until Covid I was paying $28.00 per box.

With my rifle, I am about an inch high @ 100 to be dead on @ 200.

Great Moose rounds, never failed for me. 1 and Done lol

Best of luck!

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/04/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
180 grain partitions killed the 2 bull moose I've shot.

No complaints.

If you are worried about ruining meat on a critter with 150 lb 1/4's just don't shoot them in the ass with the partition or you could also shoot with a 223 in the eye. Then you don't have to worry about the 4 lbs of meat the partition "wasted"

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
W
W
I Have the Nosler 165 gr Accubond shooting great from my Tikka T3X at over 3050 fps with RL17 .

The 284 Win is the Original short mag !
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My son started sighting in the 06 for me, i was running late and the Winchester ammo was shooting really good with the SLED at 100 yards. We’re heading out again next week and start writing down what each is doing. I have a new SAKO S20 so I’ll report back with an accurate assessment.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
abbydog, when are you heading to NF?

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Jim,

Driving up September 28th with my brother in law; my son and his friend are flying into Deer Lake Airport on the 29th. We will pick them up Saturday morning and drive to Conne River Outfitters. I’m bringing a Browning 300 WSM and SAKO S 20 .30-06 in case the other guys guns get lost in flight!!! Never know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't wait to see you with your NL moose, have you decided which cartridge you are using yet after testing several?

Hope you slam a great bull!

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/24/23.

KB

J
J
I used a 220 grain Nosler partition out of my 30-06 on my only moose. Bull trotted a few steps after first shot, dropped on quick follow up. It did the job but I did recover one bullet and was not impressed with weight retention (less than 50%). It surprised me as I’ve heard nothing but positive things about partitions. Hoping to hunt moose again someday. Working on loads for my 358 Win and a new to me 338 win mag…

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jasper243
I used a 220 grain Nosler partition out of my 30-06 on my only moose. Bull trotted a few steps after first shot, dropped on quick follow up. It did the job but I did recover one bullet and was not impressed with weight retention (less than 50%). It surprised me as I’ve heard nothing but positive things about partitions. Hoping to hunt moose again someday. Working on loads for my 358 Win and a new to me 338 win mag…

That is surprising to hear for a premium bullet. Last year my hunting partner took a bull at 200 yards with 220gr ELD-x bullets out of a 300 win mag. For a fragile cup and core bullet it did pretty good. Busting two shoulders and bullet came to rest on the offside. If i recall the recovered bullet weighed 120gr.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jasper243

The front half of a NP is supposed to act like a soft point until it expands to the partition. This gives it predictable expansion.

You might be better off with a Barnes X if you want higher weight retention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The moose on NL are typically smaller than what you would see out west

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Hi SuperCub, yes I am aware, here is a comparison of a big Alberta Moose vs. a big NL moose, which I found on the internet

Newfoundland Moose

Alberta Moose

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/25/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You'd think a 220gr NP would retain more than 50% though. I have a pile of 220's at home, I'll have to give them a try someday.

Last edited by 8MMX57JS; 08/25/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have killed every moose I have killed with Winchester SuperX in 180 grain, 1 and done.

The only moose I put two rounds into was when I dropped a moose with a frontal shot as soon as he came up a valley @ 150'ish yards, I called him in.

He dropped immediately, I took the second shot only because I wanted to make sure he was dead because I did not want him to get up and head back down the valley, which would have created a lot of unnecessary work dragging him uphill, had he got up and headed back down the valley.

We got the side by side, drove up to him, quartered him loaded him, and back at camp before noon for beers followed by a tenderloin BBQ.

Best BBQed dinner I ever had in my life!

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/25/23.

KB

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
That’s a big NF moose. Heading back to the range today to sight in more closely. So far I like the Winchester’s in the 06. I’ll follow up with a report.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hi SuperCub, yes I am aware, here is a comparison of a big Alberta Moose vs. a big NL moose, which I found on the internet

Newfoundland Moose

I've been at the ferry terminal at PAB in NL during moose season and got a good look at all the truckloads of US sports coming off the island after moose hunting. The vast majority of the moose I saw there and while there hunting were not even close to the one in the pic you posted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi SuperCub, I am curious, could you post a picture of what you would call an average/decent bull moose in NL?

I went to an NL Outfitter's site and most moose looked like these, decent-sized bodies, but small on antlers. Personally, I shoot the first moose I see, since I have no interest in big antlers, you can't eat antlers.

A two and 2 1/2 year old moose is great eating.

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/27/23.

KB

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi SuperCub, I am curious, could you post a picture of what you would call an average/decent bull moose in NL?

I went to an NL Outfitter's site and most moose looked like these, decent-sized bodies, but small on antlers. Personally, I shoot the first moose I see, since I have no interest in big antlers, you can't eat antlers.

A two and 1/2 year old moose is great eating.

Bottom pic looks like Ralphie from The Sopranos. But he’s ded. I mean Bob Barker dead. 😳

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Either one of those moose would be what I would expect to see there. The one I got there was the best eating moose I've ever eaten.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Either one of those moose would be what I would expect to see there. The one I got there was the best eating moose I've ever eaten.

I agree, 2 1/2 to 3-year-olds make the best eating, from my experience, especially if they are grain-fed, meaning they have been eating in farmer's fields all summer.

To me, any moose is a great moose, as well as a trophy!

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/27/23.

KB

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Sighting in the Sako S20 .30-06 today and at 100 NS 200 yards, 150 grain Vortex TTSX did the best. Also shot Winchester 180 grain and grouping were not as good. That being said, going back out later this week to shoot up some more. A little expensive but what the hell.

I also had a Browning Xbolt Stainless in 300 WSM and the Vortex in 165 and 189 didn’t group well at all. Tried another manufacturer and same issue. Wondering if it’s the gun. Bought it used in LNIB condition.

Cleaned both rifles for another round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't fall into the trap of using a crappy bullet because it's the most accurate. Bullet construction and performance are more important that bug hole groups when shooting at big animals. I'd give up a certain amount of accuracy to know my bullet is going to perform.

Shooting at a moose is kind of like shooting at a pick-up truck.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
SO true, as the guide told us your target is 24’ x 24”. I’m heading back to the range on Thursday with the 300 WSM. We had moose called in as close as 11 yards and I shot one at 267 yards with a lever action Browning in 7 mm RM. My son killed one on the run at 25 yards, heart shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gets really intense when you are bow hunting them alone and you call in a big bull at under 20 yards, sure gets your attention!

You say to yourself, "Man I could die today" lol

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/29/23.

KB

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My brother in law dropped off a box of 165 grain Hornady’s that he reloaded. Last week i tried 3 and the group was 1 1/4” at 100 yards, 2” to the right and high of bull. I’ll tighten that up next Sunday when i get back from Maine.
My. Browning 300 WSM did not like any Federal Fusion in 180 and 165. Looking for Hornady 165’s in my travels this week.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Abby,
You just looking for bullets? I have near a full box of 165 Spire points and more than half a box of 165 BTSP. I don't have any real plans for either, you can have either one if it helps.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Correction on my part, he reloaded Nosler Partitions. I’m in the White Mountains, then Rangeley and Camden Rockport camping, back home on the 16th. I will touch base a few days after i get back. I have a cardiologist appointment in Bloomfield the 19th. We may catch up yet!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother in law dropped off a box of 165 grain Hornady’s that he reloaded. Last week i tried 3 and the group was 1 1/4” at 100 yards, 2” to the right and high of bull. I’ll tighten that up next Sunday when i get back from Maine.
My. Browning 300 WSM did not like any Federal Fusion in 180 and 165. Looking for Hornady 165’s in my travels this week.

Hi abbydog, It's really interesting how different barrels react to different cartridges hey?

The rule I follow, is I never buy a cartridge because of advertising hype or other people's opinion. I go with the cartridge my rifle loves.

As mentioned my .30-06 loves them Winchester SuperX PowerPoints in 180 gr., never changing. My .300 Win Mag loves Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR's in 190 gr., never changing, although I wished it would love a cheaper shell, them puppies are pricy.

Put and decent bullet into the boiler room, and it's game over. Placement matters more than brand name.

Best of luck with the cardiologist!

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/07/23.

KB

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am still surprised the Federal Fusions are not grouping well. I’m going to start from scratch again just to see where they fly now that the barrel has at least a box down the tube.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi abbydog, just curious, did you finally settle on a cartridge?

Good luck with your hunt!

KB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just get a old favorite of many hunters for many many years 180 gr. Nosler Partition all bullet manufactures are still chasing to make a bullet as reliable or better as a Nosler Partition bullet including newer type bullets by Nosler bullet company.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nosler makes great rounds that's for sure!

KB

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[quote=pricedo]... an older (late 70s) Canadian friend of mine from Saskatchewan has shot plenty of Canadian moose with his Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 Sprng ... with few exceptions 1-shot kills ... like most in his age group his eyesight has declined ... the gun is currently topped with an ancient Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8x scope with "command post" reticle from the 70s

Ha, I still have a Scopechief 4X with "command post" mounted on my old '70s 742. Killed a boxcar full of deer with that combo over 40 years, till I retired it.

To the OP,
If I ever settle on a NF outfitter for 2024, I'm thinking of TTSXs out of my 7-08. A 130 or 150 TTSX should do quite well from an '06.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/22/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
abbydog
Best to you and I hope your hunt is both successful and a whole lot of fun!
Sure have enjoyed our conversations over the years concerning hunting Newfoundland moose. I have come to firmly believe that the Barnes 165 grain TTSX (Vortex) is the very best in the '08, '06, 300WSM. I have loaded them hot and see the reduced meat spoilage compared to other bullets and the pass-through shots while affecting devastation internally. Nothing that I have shot for a hunting bullet has proven more accurate.
6 days 'till launch! I hope it's a wonderful trip.
Jim

the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
--Winston Churchill

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Jim,

I went to the range today and the Barnes 150 grain group a nice 1 1/2” at 200 yards with a new SAKO S20 .30-06. Everything else travelled around the target. That being said I’m going back to the range after the hunt with the other loads i have, all factory.

I purchased a Browning X bolt in 300 WSM STAINLESS. I have tried several manufactures and my brother in laws reloads with NOSLER’s. Not good. One of the guys at the range said he had a Winchester in stainless and took a lot of shooting to dial it in.

I’ll report back after i get back.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You can expect that Barnes 150 to give you moose exit holes a long way out there. They, in my estimation, will kill a moose as far as I can ethically expect to hit that basketball-sized vital zone. I'd confidently, unhesitatingly hunt with them.
2 days 'till launch! Have fun in Newfy.
Jim

Last edited by Rug3; 09/26/23.

the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
--Winston Churchill

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My son received word today from the outfitter that 8/12 were successful last week and 3/12 so far this week. Opportunity for all hunters last week.
If i see one the first day that i would shoot on the last day, I’m taking it and then getting a bear tag.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I hope you " ain't " gone yet cause you didn't even mention fishing poles.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prime Time for Moose where I live is the First Week of October, if you know how to call.

My success rate, unguided hunts, during peak rut to date is 100%, but I am an animal.

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/29/23.

KB

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Staying at Deer Lake Hotel tonight. Arrived today, Temperature this morning was 47 at Port Aux Basque, now 68 degrees. Supported to be mostly cloudy this week which I like, less glare.

We saw one bull about a mile south of Exit 3 on our way to Corner Brook, behind a fence in an area they must have had high accident rates with critters.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a buddy that's headed to Newfoundland today for moose/caribou/bear hunt. Don't know the outfitter he's using. Think his hunt starts tomorrow, he's using a 300 win though.

Off topic, but thought it was neat. Hell maybe you're using the same outfit.

MAGA
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Met a few hunters last night at the Deer Lake Motel going here and there. We arrived today at CAMP 8. Conne River has been under new ownership. Robert Hanson is a hands on type of guy doing what he has to do to keep things going in the right direction. Camp is really nice, main camp and couple of camps for hunters as well. Dinner was excellent, pot roast, gravy, masked potatoes, corn and mashed turnips.
Our fridge is full of soft drink.
We took a few shots with our rifles and all of us were still righ on. I bought that new SAKO S20 .30-06 and i was inch off the bullseye at 112 yards leaning on the guide’s ATV with a shirt as a rest. I’m shooting 1” group at 200 yards from a bench 150 grain bullets. Very pleased. Guns a little heavy but i can deal with that. Thumb hole stock works well for me.

First impressions today is A+.
Hunt starts tomorrow. To be continued.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
And Cheescake for dessert!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a feeling you will be tagged out tomorrow.

Do you know how to call moose or is your guide doing the calling?

Best of luck, hope you slam a real NL Monster! cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/01/23.

KB

W
W
So HOW did the Hunt go ? Successfull ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, how’d it go?

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
We all shot moose. My son and is bud each shot small bulls. His bud’s first trip to NF and he was pleased. I let 2 small bulls pass and took a small cow on the 4th day. Two of us were stuck for 3 days to due high winds and no ferry crossings.
The next crew shot 6 bulls the first day. Those bulls we were calling the previous week to no avail. They were all hooked up with cows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks.

Use the same bullet you used in your 300WSM. Simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I enjoy these bullet threads. I study bullet design and performance. I have over 100 bullets recovered from game. Bullets I have had fail miserably, others swear by them. I absolutely detest Remington Cor-Lokt's as they fail most of the time, yet others have great success. Keep em coming.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I enjoy these bullet threads. I study bullet design and performance. I have over 100 bullets recovered from game. Bullets I have had fail miserably, others swear by them. I absolutely detest Remington Cor-Lokt's as they fail most of the time, yet others have great success. Keep em coming.
Have you ever recovered any core lokt roundnose bullets?

W
W

Interesting ! How’s your luck with the Hornady Interlocks and SST bullets ?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WMR

As Folklore has it re the word: Premium

Here is a Premium 10,000-year-old arrowhead that they were using to kill big game way back then.

The reason why it's a Premium Arrowhead is that when the Indian Chief asked the arrowhead maker to make him 6 and asked what he would charge for his arrowheads, he said "Your 18-year-old daughter to be his wife". Her name was Breasts Feeds Many and she was beautiful!

The Chief said why do your arrowheads cost so much, the arrowhead maker said "These are my Premium Arrowheads and they take a lot of time and skill to make!" The deal was struck, and the arrowhead maker increased his lineage by 8 more kids and he did live a very long and happy life with Breasts Feeds Many.

As folklore has it, this arrowhead maker was the first to use the word Premium and became famous for his Premium Arrowheads, and the number of wives he had, and all of the children he sired.

Sitting Bull was one of his direct descendants.

I'm here to see pictures of breast feeds many, in her younger years of course.

They will vote our way into socialism, We will have to shoot our way out.

Every major horror in the world was perpetrated in the name of altruism.

Just how big is Aroostook County you ask?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here you go Gojoe lol

KB

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here you go Gojoe lol

Thank you, LOL

They will vote our way into socialism, We will have to shoot our way out.

Every major horror in the world was perpetrated in the name of altruism.

Just how big is Aroostook County you ask?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Have you ever recovered any core lokt roundnose bullets?

Good question--because Remington has changed the design of the Pointed Soft-Point CL several times over the past 30+ years--including the "thinning" of the thicker jacket over the rear of the bullet, which occurred around 1990. This apparently was due to the old forming dies wearing out--so they decided to change to a thinner jacket in order for the dies to last longer.

But they didn't change the jacket thickness in the round-nose Core-Lokts. Round-nose bullets had gone "out of style" even among most deer hunters, so they weren't selling nearly as much RN ammo--and almost no RN bullets to handloaders. Don't know if that's still the case, as I haven't been able to find any RN Core-Lokt ammo for a while to section the bullets, but do know the present PSP Core-Lokts have relatively thin "sidewalls." Bought a box of .30-06 180s a year or so ago just for that purpose.

Also know that Remington has sometimes loaded Hornady Interlocks in "Core-Lokt" ammo. This started around 1990 after the jackets were thinned in the original PSP Core-Lokts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

91 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,127 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,478
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.