Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone know of any forums like this one that focuses on Labradors or on Hunting Dogs? I've found a few but they don't seem as active as I would expect. Thanks in advance.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of facebook groups, but I haven't looked for forums.

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks I appreciate the response. I thought I'd do some research now. I can't rely on the litter owners, as it seems like the descriptions of the litters are all written by the same ad agency. Every litter is described thusly:

"Super genetics, incredible stamina, unbelievable prey drive, with an off switch to nap by your feet while toddlers pull their tail and ears."

JFC, drives me insane.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Thanks I appreciate the response. I thought I'd do some research now. I can't rely on the litter owners, as it seems like the descriptions of the litters are all written by the same ad agency. Every litter is described thusly:

"Super genetics, incredible stamina, unbelievable prey drive, with an off switch to nap by your feet while toddlers pull their tail and ears."

JFC, drives me insane.

I don't disagree, but to be fair, there ARE a lot of good Labs out there. Unless I personally know the Sire and Dam, I'm shopping for a breeder, not a specific dog. FWIW, any good dog will seem like a great dog with the exposure and experience you seem to give them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gundogforum.com

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by WMR

JFC, drives me insane.

I don't disagree, but to be fair, there ARE a lot of good Labs out there. Unless I personally know the Sire and Dam, I'm shopping for a breeder, not a specific dog. FWIW, any good dog will seem like a great dog with the exposure and experience you seem to give them.

Yes you are correct. I appreciate the viewpoint, that helps. With my current dogs, I know too much info. I know and have hunted with the breeder, the sire, the dam, and the litter mates. And the difference the in litter mates is concerning. I'm sure some of the difference is "nurture, not nature" but how much is a mystery and a concern to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

JFC, drives me insane.

You'll run into a LOT of 'better-n-you' snobbery too, dissing any other breeder, even if they have no clue who they are. Ran into that more often than not when I was breeding AKC Show English Bulldogs 100 years ago. I don't know if it's as pervasive in Field Trial circles, but in the show ring it's baby pageant central! So sickening.

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Right?!?!? No kidding. Thanks for the insight, I haven't shopped for a dog in ages, haven't had to, but the day is coming.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

JFC, drives me insane.
Hey bk I'm in the market myself let me know of any black lab liters you think are promising..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Will do Bob

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WMR

JFC, drives me insane.

Yes you are correct. I appreciate the viewpoint, that helps. With my current dogs, I know too much info. I know and have hunted with the breeder, the sire, the dam, and the litter mates. And the difference the in litter mates is concerning. I'm sure some of the difference is "nurture, not nature" but how much is a mystery and a concern to me.

All Labs are good Labs!

Well no, I met a dumb one once... I mean, DUMB!

And a mean one, I knew a mean one, raised by old people and I think it felt responsible to protect them, but that sucker would just attack, no provocation. Then again, they had three dogs like that in a row, that had to be environment.

If people would just start them like I've been starting them (still evolving my puppy conditioning techniques, but daggone, it makes a difference) then, yeah all Labs are good Labs!

Except that dumb one... I'd a knocked that one over the head. (Well, maybe that was its problem.. there was something wrong with that dog!)

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That dumb one, was it a choc by any chance?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The smartest dog we ever had was a chocolate . Each dog is an individual .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Retrieverttaining.net used to have good litters on it. There are the usual asshats over there, but overall used to be a good place. Haven't visited in several years though.

My best resource for litters turned out to be field trial guys who let me know when a good one is coming up. Those litters never get advertised.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
My best resource for litters turned out to be field trial guys who let me know when a good one is coming up. Those litters never get advertised.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

If you want a good performance dog, you need to get around to the (preferably) UKC hunt test events and meet the people who are doing it. The breeders who consistently turn out high performance dogs have waiting lists and they don’t advertise.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks that makes total sense to me, that's a good tip.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (257_X_50, 338reddog, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 12 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,115
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.