Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I can't say that I've ever done anything akin to an empirical test, and I buy very little domestic pork. Consequently my reply is entirely subjective.

Hogs are omnivorous, consequently they will eat just about anything. However with wild pork I know that there are no added hormones, steroids or other additives. In addition, I can be selective in the ones I choose.

I've hunted hogs in the hill country since 1999. At a generation per year that would be at least 23 generations removed from domesticity.

Their meat is red and leaner than domestic pork.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I do not make pork jerky, but do know folks that do so out of wild pork.

I will take a hind roast and make either strawberry or cilantro-lime pulled pork in the crockpot! Put it on a Hawaiian roll with cole slaw.... Yowsir.

Mix it with sheep, auodad, javelina, venison, bear or just pork for sausage.

Ground pork with hamburger meat makes a great hamburger patty.

or meatballs

or sausage

Marinated pork fingers rolled in corn chips and deep fried.

Loin marinated overnight in zesty Italian dressing, teriyaki sauce, pepper, garlic powder, then split longwize and stuffed with either cream cheese or onions and jalepeno's then wrapped in bacon and put on the grill till just about medium done.

Or if you are in camp...

Rip out the tenders when you sprinkle with garlic powder, worchestershire sauce, pepper, throw it on the grill

or throw it in the pit, and smoke appropriately

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/17/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Man that looks good ! Now I'm hungry. It would be nice to have another wild meat to add to the menu but I wouldn't want them tearing up my property.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Man that looks good ! Now I'm hungry. It would be nice to have another wild meat to add to the menu but I wouldn't want them tearing up my property.

10/4

They can be destructive buggers!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The lease thing was new to me last year, being transplanted from MN to now in Texas, MN owned land and had endless public land opportunities, TX public big game hunting is sparse, so I found a lease thru a friend a bit of tribulation and price escalation for year two but we have a deal. The cost per pound BS is just that, if that was my worry I wouldn't hunt at this stage of my life, but I will make this observation I can pay for one helluva lease many times over than paying state income tax. I may have to pay to hunt and considerable for a good lease, but update every two weeks the State is not in my pocket and not in the pocket of my small business' either, BTW it is not killing me on sales tax either, less here than in MN. Leasing is a way of life for hunters in a lot of locations, just a matter of the economy and demand.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Unfortunately in my area, If you don't own land you have to get on a lease to hunt. My Daddy use to tell me. If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have always used my deer lease for my recreation and vacations. I live on the Gulf Coast so I don't spend money for beach vacations. Price per lb for me never figured in. But instead of a sunburn and a couple tee shirts I come home from my vacations with venison.

You either live somewhere where you got good access or you don’t. This weekend I will be fishing for Tarpon , redfish and seatrout. My cost is some gas for my buddies boat and lunch. The following weekend i will use my yak and and price be gas to where i launch 30 minutes from my house.

Someone who lives in the midwest has to spend a bunch of money to do that kind of fishing. But they might be able to kill a deer for the price of a bullet in the woods behind their house.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
There’s benefits to TX over Ny. Hanco can walk into any store and walk out with any handgun he feels like or even a semi auto 22 rifle these days, no wait, no restrictions on our liberties.

Us as NY’ers suffer fools and BS to have some nice public land.

It’s all about trade offs.
If we could get rid of a few million communists/liberals it would be nice for sure. Even so I'm thankful we have lots of public land. I like to roam/hunt new and unfamiliar ground. It would suck being tethered to the same piece of ground in the same old stands all the time.

I don't disagree with that, but variety is kinda cool too.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wild pig is good eating.

If your first experience with it an old boar, then You may not like it.

Bit I’ve had some old boar that you’d never know it.

A 100 #’er is good eating size. Sow or boar.

I like sausage made with wild pig and deer.

It’s not real fatty like store bought pork.

Surprisingly, a lot of the body weight is in the hide and fat under the hide.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hate it for you David, I really enjoy seeing your pics because I physically cannot do it anymore. My lease is very small, but it is bordered on 2 sides of Sabine River, it floods yearly and under water now. I do hunt them but the old fashion way. Love eating them, have only killed about 3 that smelled and were left for the buzzards, the rest were eaten. But I only kill about 5 a year anymore. They left this area last summer and no hunter that I have talked to has seen one. I'm talking about hunters in a 30-mile radius of me. They were so bad last spring I had to fence in my back yard.

But good luck finding a new and better spot.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
You should see leases in Ga, the Florida guys are coming up here driving prices through the roof. We get letters and calls several times a year from them wanting to lease our family land.

Last edited by killerv; 05/18/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I can't imagine being a kid growing up with no public land around, a burning desire to hunt and without a dad who hunts and has a lease these days. No wonder hunter numbers are shrinking every year and have been since the 70's. I'm glad I grew up when and where I did and was free to roam thousands of acres literally right out our back door. I came home from school every day, changed my clothes, grabbed a gun and was gone until dark. Man I had a blast and killed a pile of game. Now days even if a kid lives in the country he's liable to find all the hunting land in his area is posted up tight as a frogs ass and is all leased out by some rich city/non resident ass hole. It's a fuuckin shame what hunting has become.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
We've been on a small lease in Comfort, Tx. for the last 20 years. With the cedar and new houses encroaching on us, the hunting has become worse every year. Our land owner is a friend and hasn't gone up in lease fees in awhile, but I know that money will eventually come between that friendship. Once this place is gone, I think I'll just spend my money on a pay hunt every few years and concentrate on fishing. Good luck in your search for a new place, they are scarce has hens teeth.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don’t think about the cost per pound. We’re on a 2,200 ac lease in our hunting club. Worth every cent. Not having to contend with public land nimrods is priceless.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t think about the cost per pound. We’re on a 2,200 ac lease in our hunting club. Worth every cent. Not having to contend with public land nimrods is priceless.
I've hunted all day on public land covering several miles without coming across another hunters boot print in the snow. Course you can't just park your butt in a stand overlooking a food plot, corn field or feeder and expect to shoot deer. There aren't any corn fields or food plots out there and feeders are illegal as are permanent stands. You've got to be a hunter if you expect to be successful with any consistency on public land.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Well, the alleged person that offered more money backed out or he was trying to get more money from us. The land owner called our camp boss, says we still have the lease for same price and will agree to 5 years at that price. He had gone up 500.00 last year.

I was there with a bunch of my feeders, feeder pens already brought to camp. I had some loaded on trailer when I got a group text message telling us we still have it. I spent today putting it most of it back up. If I was still working and taken off work, I’d be angry. So, I guess I still have a lease.

Last edited by hanco; 05/19/23.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WAM

That scares me, good way to get shot

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Glad it worked out for you even if a little inconvenient.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Well, the alleged person that offered more money backed out or he was trying to get more money from us. The land owner called our camp boss, says we still have the lease for same price and will agree to 5 years at that price. He had gone up 500.00 last year.

I was there with a bunch of my feeders, feeder pens already brought to camp. I had some loaded on trailer when I got a group text message telling us we still have it. I spent today putting it most of it back up. If I was still working and taken off work, I’d be angry. So, I guess I still have a lease.

Good news!

👍👍👍

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM
I've hunted all day on public land covering several miles without coming across another hunters boot print in the snow. Course you can't just park your butt in a stand overlooking a food plot, corn field or feeder and expect to shoot deer. There aren't any corn fields or food plots out there and feeders are illegal as are permanent stands. You've got to be a hunter if you expect to be successful with any consistency on public land.

Good for you, bud!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

Gives you 5 years to find something else.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/20/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.