B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t think about the cost per pound. We’re on a 2,200 ac lease in our hunting club. Worth every cent. Not having to contend with public land nimrods is priceless.
I've hunted all day on public land covering several miles without coming across another hunters boot print in the snow. Course you can't just park your butt in a stand overlooking a food plot, corn field or feeder and expect to shoot deer. There aren't any corn fields or food plots out there and feeders are illegal as are permanent stands. You've got to be a hunter if you expect to be successful with any consistency on public land.

Good for you, bud!
There seems to be a misconception that there's a hunter behind every tree on public land. Though it can be crowded in some places, that's not the case everywhere..

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Well, the alleged person that offered more money backed out or he was trying to get more money from us. The land owner called our camp boss, says we still have the lease for same price and will agree to 5 years at that price. He had gone up 500.00 last year.

I was there with a bunch of my feeders, feeder pens already brought to camp. I had some loaded on trailer when I got a group text message telling us we still have it. I spent today putting it most of it back up. If I was still working and taken off work, I’d be angry. So, I guess I still have a lease.

Hanco:

Good news but I'd still get that in writing if I could. No telling what the landowner might do next time when someone waves even a few more bucks in his face.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t think about the cost per pound. We’re on a 2,200 ac lease in our hunting club. Worth every cent. Not having to contend with public land nimrods is priceless.
I've hunted all day on public land covering several miles without coming across another hunters boot print in the snow. Course you can't just park your butt in a stand overlooking a food plot, corn field or feeder and expect to shoot deer. There aren't any corn fields or food plots out there and feeders are illegal as are permanent stands. You've got to be a hunter if you expect to be successful with any consistency on public land.

Good for you, bud!
There seems to be a misconception that there's a hunter behind every tree on public land. Though it can be crowded in some places, that's not the case everywhere..
I have hunted a bit of public land in MO, get off of the beaten path a short bit and rarely see anybody else.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
Condolences Hanco.

I've been both a land owner and I/ve been on 5 different ranches in the last 24 years.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

It isn’t the first time, May not be the last to lose a lease

It's happened to me a few times the last few years. Sign of the times

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by killerv
You should see leases in Ga, the Florida guys are coming up here driving prices through the roof. We get letters and calls several times a year from them wanting to lease our family land.

Yep, I turned down an opportunity on a lease in So Ga last year , logistics of driving 400 miles each way to setup the area would have been a bit much. Couple of guys from Florida were involved.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Well, the alleged person that offered more money backed out or he was trying to get more money from us. The land owner called our camp boss, says we still have the lease for same price and will agree to 5 years at that price. He had gone up 500.00 last year.

I was there with a bunch of my feeders, feeder pens already brought to camp. I had some loaded on trailer when I got a group text message telling us we still have it. I spent today putting it most of it back up. If I was still working and taken off work, I’d be angry. So, I guess I still have a lease.
Gives you 5 years to find something else.

Exactly

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Hanco:

Good news but I'd still get that in writing if I could. No telling what the landowner might do next time when someone waves even a few more bucks in his face.

It is supposed to be in writing, but we will see

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
glad some of you have good access to nice, safe, low traffic public hunting lands-last time I was on public land 20 + years ago in deep east TX I hunted a couple of weekends-saw tons of people, no deer or hogs or turkey. Kept bumping into "hunters", some nice, some not so nice...kicker for me was at the end of the day at the parking area/camp site a bunch of us gathered to talk about what we saw...couple of fellas, mostly college kids, kept talking about how many "sound shots" they got off that day. I had to ask, what on earth is a "sound shot"...one of the guys piped up and said "it is where you hear something in the bushes so you shoot in that direction and hope you hit a deer"

yea, I was done at that point with public land hunting

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 1minute
Geeeze! That's enough to pay for a run to one of the states having more than 50% of its acreage as public holdings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the reasons I stayed in Oregon as opposed to going back east where all of our family lives.

The difference is he doesn't have to put into a draw and hope and pray he gets to hunt each year. Everything there is over the Wally World counter, guaranteed tags.
Tell me, just how many eastern states have OTC elk tags? You can still get them in many western states although they won't be plentiful.
The difference is water. The states that have all that public land have it because it was never homesteaded. That's because there isn't enough water. Most of the areas suitable for farming are private. The lack of water is what makes wildlife feed short compared to the east. The land can't support all those millions of whitetails.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
glad some of you have good access to nice, safe, low traffic public hunting lands-last time I was on public land 20 + years ago in deep east TX I hunted a couple of weekends-saw tons of people, no deer or hogs or turkey. Kept bumping into "hunters", some nice, some not so nice...kicker for me was at the end of the day at the parking area/camp site a bunch of us gathered to talk about what we saw...couple of fellas, mostly college kids, kept talking about how many "sound shots" they got off that day. I had to ask, what on earth is a "sound shot"...one of the guys piped up and said "it is where you hear something in the bushes so you shoot in that direction and hope you hit a deer"

WOW

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good deal. At least you don’t have to scramble for this season!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If a written 5 year lease comes out of all this, then all is well. Better than before, in fact. In most cases, leasing is just business. Can’t blame the owner for looking for the best deal for himself. Glad it worked out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 1minute
Geeeze! That's enough to pay for a run to one of the states having more than 50% of its acreage as public holdings.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the reasons I stayed in Oregon as opposed to going back east where all of our family lives.

The difference is he doesn't have to put into a draw and hope and pray he gets to hunt each year. Everything there is over the Wally World counter, guaranteed tags.
Tell me, just how many eastern states have OTC elk tags? You can still get them in many western states although they won't be plentiful.
The difference is water. The states that have all that public land have it because it was never homesteaded. That's because there isn't enough water. Most of the areas suitable for farming are private. The lack of water is what makes wildlife feed short compared to the east. The land can't support all those millions of whitetails.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It will soon be to the point where you will need to own land to shoot or hunt.

I was told that 30 years ago by a land developer. Very prophetic prediction.

A major player group in the current lease market are the large corporations, with international operations, that want a place for their clients to hunt, in the US. You either sit in the game or you fold your cards.They are driving property prices and taxes up also.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rapier
It will soon be to the point where you will need to own land to shoot or hunt.

I was told that 30 years ago by a land developer. Very prophetic prediction.

A major player group in the current lease market are the large corporations, with international operations, that want a place for their clients to hunt, in the US. You either sit in the game or you fold your cards.They are driving property prices and taxes up also.
Probably depends on the states you hunt.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Never seen any of that in 40 odd years of hunting public but then we are short on Texans here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Never seen any of that in 40 odd years of hunting public but then we are short on Texans here.

touche my friend wink

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant

That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard of!!!

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Old folklore up here in the North. I suspect someone’s leg was, or is, being pulled.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WMR

Old folklore up here in the North. I suspect someone’s leg was, or is, being pulled.

Could be, didn’t think of that

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.