Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Around here leasing hasn't taken over. It's not hard to get permission just by asking if you're a local and know some landowners. I have permission to hunt 5 private properties totalling 956 acres within 5 miles of home, including 126 acres right next door and 200 more directly across the road.

Sir,

You are very fortunate. Countless folk would love to be in your stead.

However not everyone has the good fortune to be in your current circumstance.

So here is a straight up question for you.

What would you do if you had very limited access to public land hunting and doing so was not worth your time and effort. Would you stop hunting, or find another venue that you enjoyed?

What if you could have twice the area you indicated that you can hunt to be able to hunt/camp/shoot/ride ATVs, entertain kids and grandkids, at your discretion, 24/7/365 for under $200 per month. Would you have a "Lease"

Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by geedubya
Around here leasing hasn't taken over. It's not hard to get permission just by asking if you're a local and know some landowners. I have permission to hunt 5 private properties totalling 956 acres within 5 miles of home, including 126 acres right next door and 200 more directly across the road.

Sir,

What would you do if you had very limited access to public land hunting and doing so was not worth your time and effort. Would you stop hunting, or find another venue that you enjoyed?

What if you could have twice the area you indicated that you can hunt to be able to hunt/camp/shoot/ride ATVs, entertain kids and grandkids, at your discretion, 24/7/365 for under $200 per month. Would you have a "Lease"

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Well put. The answer is pretty obvious. Shucks, even with good hunting already at my disposal, both public and private, I’d add such a lease at that price! I think your hot weather would take some getting used to, though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hanco
The SOB called the camp boss today. He told him he was offered 10,000 more per year to lease the 1300 acres we have. He said we could match it or get the hell off. We are paying 2500 a gun now. That place isn’t worth what we are paying now, much less 3500 a year. We have had a hand shake agreement for 20 yrs, guess we should have had a contract. I’ve got to go get all the traps, feeders, tripods, etc I have up there. The bad thing is I got my friend on, he spent money in the last two weeks for parts for me to build feeders, feeder pens, and damn corn. We finished that cshit up Saturday. I’ve got to call him, ain’t looking forward to that. Damn the bad luck!

$2,500 for a deer? Boy that sucks. Too bad you can't hunt public land?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The SOB called the camp boss today. He told him he was offered 10,000 more per year to lease the 1300 acres we have. He said we could match it or get the hell off. We are paying 2500 a gun now. That place isn’t worth what we are paying now, much less 3500 a year. We have had a hand shake agreement for 20 yrs, guess we should have had a contract. I’ve got to go get all the traps, feeders, tripods, etc I have up there. The bad thing is I got my friend on, he spent money in the last two weeks for parts for me to build feeders, feeder pens, and damn corn. We finished that cshit up Saturday. I’ve got to call him, ain’t looking forward to that. Damn the bad luck!

$2,500 for a deer? Boy that sucks. Too bad you can't hunt public land?

I thought you moved to Nevada?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WMR
Well put. The answer is pretty obvious. Shucks, even with good hunting already at my disposal, both public and private, I’d add such a lease at that price! I think your hot weather would take some getting used to, though.

It is what it is.

In my old age, I've got to where I sleep in till 8 or 8:30 AM, then get up and have coffee and breakfast of a sorts.

About 9:30 I go out and either fill feeders, run my traps

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and snares,

or both.

Clouds usually burn off betwen 11 AM and Noon and I head back to camp.

I've a camper with A/C

and a cement pond (gravity flow fed from Dry Frio River) that would make Jethro Bodine jealous for cooling down should that be appropriate.

Usually have a "sleep beer" around 1 PM, then take a 3 hr nap, or so. When it is hot, I usually stay in until 6pm or so.

Other than when I'm turkey, dove, or deer hunting, I have got to where I almost exclusively hunt at night with night vision or thermal

The second of two that evening, both good boars.

That's when the woods come alive and it's seldom above 90 degrees F after 10pm.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/29/23.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
GW, I am dumping a couple or three of years of your lease September for mule deer in SW Kansas. It is what we do. I hope to see you next March.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM
GW, I am dumping a couple or three of years of your lease September for mule deer in SW Kansas. It is what we do. I hope to see you next March.

10/4

Mighty fine EdM.

The only way I could be better was if I was home counting your money. No way I would attempt to play a game of one-up-man-ship with you!

I'm pretty much content with my deer/hog lease @ Reagan Wells and my Hall's Bayou lease that borders Galveston Bay.

Am going to do a rare out of state Plantation Style Quail Hunt @ Pinehill Plantation in Georgia early next year.

See you at the Hoot N' Shoot in March if I don't take the "Room Temperature Challenge" between now and then.

Between David, Doc , Rick and yourself, I had one of the best times in memory this year.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/29/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Sir,

Quien Sabe,

GWB
I'd move. And the 956 acres is just the private land I have permission to hunt within 5 miles of home. I have permission on several other parcels of private land in 5 counties plus roughly 5 million acres of state land I can hunt, several thousand of which is just 2 miles up the road. I can and do hunt, fish, trap, hike, camp, canoe and target shoot on State land anytime I want, within open seasons of course.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EdM

10/4

Mighty fine EdM.

The only way I could be better was if I was home counting your money. No way I would attempt to play a game of one-up-man-ship with you!

I'm pretty much content with my deer/hog lease @ Reagan Wells and my Hall's Bayou lease that borders Galveston Bay.

Am going to do a rare out of state Plantation Style Quail Hunt @ Pinehill Plantation in Georgia early next year.

See you at the Hoot N' Shoot in March if I don't take the "Room Temperature Challenge" between now and then.

BTW, between you, Doc, David and Rick, I had one of the best times in memory this year.

Best,

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'd move. And the 956 acres is just the private land I have permission to hunt withijn 5 miles of home. I have permission on several other parcels of private land in 5 counties plus roughly 5 million acres of state land I can hunt.

Once again, not everyone has that luxury.

I like what Teddy Rossevelt is quoted as saying.......

"Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are"

I am slow to upbraid folks whose circumstances are different than mine due to geography or local custom.

YMMV!

Best,

GWB

IC B3

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Keep on piggin GWB, hope to catch some this weekend! I’ve killed 43 since the first of the year. I’m gonna try to keep a count this year. I got back on the Newton County lease I was on, gonna set up a round pen there to catch the bastards. There are some very large pigs there. I wish they had weighed this one

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/30/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I trust that guy is a fisherman?

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That is one big SOB

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by tikkanut
That is one big SOB

Greg is taller than me, about 6’2, probably 250 lbs

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Sir,

Quien Sabe,

GWB
For those who don't remember, TX was never a U.S. Territory. It came into the Union as a sovereign country, The Republic of Texas. Therefore there's not a lot of govt. land, as in states that were U.S. Territories. What TX land the govt owns, they bought, didn't get it by default. Different set up.

So, owning or leasing hunting property is the rule in TX, more than the exception. And they aren't kind to trespassers, well other than wet backs flooding over the border. Those get special handling, not by Texans, but by Brandon and his band of govt. henchmen.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut
That is one big SOB

Greg is taller than me, about 6’2, probably 250 lbs
I shot a 300 pounder a few years back, weighed him. He was big, but I think that one is bigger.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Sir,

Quien Sabe,

GWB
For those who don't remember, TX was never a U.S. Territory. It came into the Union as a sovereign country, The Republic of Texas. Therefore there's not a lot of govt. land, as in states that were U.S. Territories. What TX land the govt owns, they bought, didn't get it by default. Different set up.

So, owning or leasing hunting property is the rule in TX, more than the exception. And they aren't kind to trespassers, well other than wet backs flooding over the border. Those get special handling, not by Texans, but by Brandon and his band of govt. henchmen.

DF
For those that don't know, here in New York the State bought up a lot of private farm land during the depression from farmers who went bankrupt. Then they put a bunch of people to work planting trees on all that cleared farm land in their reforestation program. They have continued to buy up land periodically ever since to add to the forest preserve. Imagine that, a State using tax payer dollars to buy up thousands upon thousands of acres of land for the public to use and enjoy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, New York State is a model for all to behold.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd move. And the 956 acres is just the private land I have permission to hunt withijn 5 miles of home. I have permission on several other parcels of private land in 5 counties plus roughly 5 million acres of state land I can hunt.

I am slow to upbraid folks whose circumstances are different than mine due to geography or local custom.

YMMV!

Best,

GWB
Some days I carry 2 or 3 different styles of weapons that Blackheart isn't allowed to own or hunt with. I'd give up my hunting opportunities before I gave up my 2nd Amendment rights.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

YMMV!

Best,

GWB
Some days I carry 2 or 3 different styles of weapons that Blackheart isn't allowed to own or hunt with. I'd give up my hunting opportunities before I gave up my 2nd Amendment rights.
I've had those weapons in the past {AR-15 and AK 47}. I sold them long before they were outlawed because I found them awkward to carry and just didn't have much use for them other than as a plinker. I'm a hunter and much prefer a lever or bolt action rifle for my use. I'm not interested in playing Rambo but if it blows your skirt up you have the right. Our gun laws do suck but I'd much rather live where there is plenty of land to hunt and the laws don't effect the guns I own and prefer to use. What passes for "hunting" in States where leasing is the norm doesn't interest me in the least.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 39 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.