Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
battue, I haven't hunted PA in 27 years since I moved west. I never had to drag more than a 1/4 mile to get a deer out but I never hunted the big forests of the upper middle of the state. That being said can you quarter up a deer in PA to get it out or do they have to come out whole?

Not Harry, but hunted in PA for the past 61 years and have never seen or heard of anyone quartering up a deer to make it easier to get out although undoubtedly it has been done.
I do know people die from heart attacks every year when dragging deer out.

I never have seen it done either

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by moosemike
battue, I haven't hunted PA in 27 years since I moved west. I never had to drag more than a 1/4 mile to get a deer out but I never hunted the big forests of the upper middle of the state. That being said can you quarter up a deer in PA to get it out or do they have to come out whole?

Not Harry, but hunted in PA for the past 61 years and have never seen or heard of anyone quartering up a deer to make it easier to get out although undoubtedly it has been done.

Actually its done more often than many people realize.
Especially in areas with the higher mountains with the steep sidehills.
In fact many of them dont even get gutted, just peel the hide and take the choice cuts.
Leave the hide and bones for the coyotes.
Average Joe walking around hunting isnt apt to be the ones who do that however.
Some are also using the chain saw winches, and others are using Mule Tape to drag them up hill with a vehicle.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I have done that. Where the deer fell, it was so steep that I had to tie the deer to a tree to keep it from sliding down the mountain while I gutted the deer.

I gutted the deer, then hoisted it up the tree and cut it up. We carried all the meat out and dragged the head and hide. A friend helped.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t know about PA, but there are hunting lodges in VA, WV, SC, and GA, and probably other places in that region that offer hunts with lodging and where they put you in a stand morning and evening. Not cheap, but I doubt any guided hunt would be.

Just search, “Hunting lodges (pick a state)”.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yobuck
Originally Posted by moosemike

Actually its done more often than many people realize.
Especially in areas with the higher mountains with the steep sidehills.
In fact many of them dont even get gutted, just peel the hide and take the choice cuts.
Leave the hide and bones for the coyotes.
Average Joe walking around hunting isnt apt to be the ones who do that however.
Some are also using the chain saw winches, and others are using Mule Tape to drag them up hill with a vehicle.

Doesn't have to be steep.
Some areas I hunt are basically swamp and there's no way to drag anything out of there. I tried carrying a few on poles, but it's much better to quarter. If it's froze with snow, I'll use a sled and bring them out whole, but archery deer get cut up.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't know anything about these folks at all, but have seen some Facebook posts about them. Located in Western Pa.

https://2doutfitters.com/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.