Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Also to add to the Redhawks strength is the notches in the cylinder are offset, so the cylinder is exceptionally strong. I know of folks who have loaded the 44 mag redhawks to well beyond Ruger levels. Not at all recommended, just to point out the immense strength of the gun. The cylinder is stronger, the cylinder lockup is stronger and the frame is stronger.

I’ve often wondered if the offset cylinder notches are the big deal Ruger used to make them out to be. There’s a lot more to the “strength” (however one might wish to define it) than the amount of material between point “A” and point “B”. There’s the matter of what alloy is used. Ruger uses a proprietary alloy developed to investment cast well. Also, the grain structure of parts machined from forgings or rolled bar stock will be substantially different than that of investment castings. There’s a reason Ruger revolvers tend to be big and heavy by design and I suspect much of it has to do with compensating for the metallurgy of their products. I have also wondered, for a long time, if their reputation for endurance isn’t largely a product of the fact that their greater weight tends to mitigate the effects of recoil somewhat. I’m not an engineer, I haven’t done the math. I started working in manufacturing in 1967 and, as a journeyman tool and die maker have been involved in untold numbers of projects involving product or tooling failure and the solutions of those failures.

Just food for thought.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
Also to add to the Redhawks strength is the notches in the cylinder are offset, so the cylinder is exceptionally strong. I know of folks who have loaded the 44 mag redhawks to well beyond Ruger levels. Not at all recommended, just to point out the immense strength of the gun. The cylinder is stronger, the cylinder lockup is stronger and the frame is stronger.

I’ve often wondered if the offset cylinder notches are the big deal Ruger used to make them out to be. There’s a lot more to the “strength” (however one might wish to define it) than the amount of material between point “A” and point “B”. There’s the matter of what alloy is used. Ruger uses a proprietary alloy developed to investment cast well. Also, the grain structure of parts machined from forgings or rolled bar stock will be substantially different than that of investment castings. There’s a reason Ruger revolvers tend to be big and heavy by design and I suspect much of it has to do with compensating for the metallurgy of their products. I have also wondered, for a long time, if their reputation for endurance isn’t largely a product of the fact that their greater weight tends to mitigate the effects of recoil somewhat. I’m not an engineer, I haven’t done the math. I started working in manufacturing in 1967 and, as a journeyman tool and die maker have been involved in untold numbers of projects involving product or tooling failure and the solutions of those failures.

Just food for thought.

They are beefier on purpose and use the latest greatest alloy.

https://www.carpentertechnology.com/blog/most-powerful-revolvers-get-lift-from-aerospace-alloys

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just food for thought.

I don't think Ruger used extra metal to compensate for their metallurgy, they just build their guns with a higher factor of safety. A redhawk cylinder will take loads that will blow an S&W cylinder apart.

The durability has nothing to do with less recoil, the added weight has minimal effects on recoil. It just comes down to the stress from firing a load and the amount of steel in the gun to withstand those loads.

I know it's popular to crap on investment casting, but if you understand the process and the alloys use, it does not produce an inferior product, on the contrary when done properly it can produce a superior product. It all comes down to the engineer understanding the process and alloys to design the part properly.

This isn't to say S&W's are bad or week, both guns are well designed and work well. But if you look at the history, the mdl 29 is really a beefed up 44 special while the Redhawk was purpose built as a 44 magnum.

If you like to shoot 1000's upon 1000's of full power rounds, IMHO the Ruger is the superior gun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I liken the model 29 Smith and Wesson to a Corvette and the Redhawk to a dump truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My dream gun would be a Super Redhawk with the frame cut back and fitted with a Redhawk barrel like Hamilton Bowen does, maybe in .45 Colt.
This but in 44, since it’s a dream gun both 44 & 45
Ruger would have a bunch of these sold if they would make one

Last edited by 338reddog; 05/17/23.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I've had 2 Ruger Redhawk's chambered to 454 Casull and have fired full power factory loads in them 454 Casull is SAAMI speed at 65,000 PSI.
The Redhawk is is a full frame revolver with no removable side plate which increases frame strength.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The Super Redhawk is made from stronger material and a Super Redhawk cylinder will easily swap into a Redhawk. The SRH has a better trigger system also.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Just food for thought.

I don't think Ruger used extra metal to compensate for their metallurgy, they just build their guns with a higher factor of safety. A redhawk cylinder will take loads that will blow an S&W cylinder apart. I've heard this said before, but I've never seen any proof of the fact. What is this statement based on?

The durability has nothing to do with less recoil, the added weight has minimal effects on recoil. It just comes down to the stress from firing a load and the amount of steel in the gun to withstand those loads. With all due respect, this statement makes no sense. A heavier gun recoils less than a lighter gun when both are shooting the same load. The more intense the recoil, the more wear and tear on the mechanical components of the gun.

I know it's popular to crap on investment casting, but if you understand the process and the alloys use, it does not produce an inferior product, on the contrary when done properly it can produce a superior product. It all comes down to the engineer understanding the process and alloys to design the part properly.
Having worked in the area of manufacturing that involves die casting, investment casting, forging, machining and a number of other processes, as well as having worked in tool and machine design, I'm guessing that I probably have a better understanding of the processes and alloys than the average lay person. I'm not "crapping on investment casting." It's a great process when done right, and Ruger is one of the best in the field. The fact remains, however, that forged parts are going to display higher levels of ductility and malleability, shear strength, tensile strength and fatigue resistance than cast parts. There is no overcoming that. Forging creates beneficial grain structure alignment that just can't be duplicated in a cast part.

This isn't to say S&W's are bad or week, both guns are well designed and work well. But if you look at the history, the mdl 29 is really a beefed up 44 special while the Redhawk was purpose built as a 44 magnum.

If you like to shoot 1000's upon 1000's of full power rounds, IMHO the Ruger is the superior gun.

I would agree, the Redhawks are fine, durable revolvers, but again, I think a lot of it comes from added weight and more massive parts and I think any added strength they have over S&W's has been way, way over stated over the years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider the 454 casull's, 475 linebaughs and 500 linebaughs built on the redhawk by gunsmiths. I don't think a single 29 or 629 has been used for that conversion.

The added strength is not over stated. Maybe not needed if you shoot 240 gr loads, but a steady diet of 300's has been known to shake the Smiths loose.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good to see you back here Paul.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You can’t go wrong with the Ruger.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jwp475
The Super Redhawk is made from stronger material and a Super Redhawk cylinder will easily swap into a Redhawk. The SRH has a better trigger system also.

I found that out after I bought my Redhawk. It will definitely be a SRH next go around.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back when you could only get the SRH in 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 barrel lengths we were cutting the 454s and 480s to 5” and doing the slab side treatment to get rid of the billboards. Exactly where Ruger got the idea for the Toklat which was a VF Grace special order initially IIRC.

Anyway a good buddy got a smoker of a deal on a long barreled SRH in 44 Mag. Basically nobody wanted it because it had a long spout AND it was just a 44 so he got it for a song. He had me cut it at 5” and move the sight back and remount it. And he insisted that I draw file and polish the markings off the barrel because he didn’t want it slabbed. It was a pain but he was a good friend so I did what he wanted plus a clean up of the seat surfaces and a rebound spring swap.

It turned out to be a very nice rig with a very good trigger. But the most impressive thing was how it shot. My goodness it would shoot groups like a rifle with 300gr LFNs driven hard over 296.

I don’t know where it ended up after his passing but if I ever run into a deal on one I plan to duplicate it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Just food for thought.

I don't think Ruger used extra metal to compensate for their metallurgy, they just build their guns with a higher factor of safety. A redhawk cylinder will take loads that will blow an S&W cylinder apart. I've heard this said before, but I've never seen any proof of the fact. What is this statement based on?

The durability has nothing to do with less recoil, the added weight has minimal effects on recoil. It just comes down to the stress from firing a load and the amount of steel in the gun to withstand those loads. With all due respect, this statement makes no sense. A heavier gun recoils less than a lighter gun when both are shooting the same load. The more intense the recoil, the more wear and tear on the mechanical components of the gun.

Having worked in the area of manufacturing that involves die casting, investment casting, forging, machining and a number of other processes, as well as having worked in tool and machine design, I'm guessing that I probably have a better understanding of the processes and alloys than the average lay person. I'm not "crapping on investment casting." It's a great process when done right, and Ruger is one of the best in the field. The fact remains, however, that forged parts are going to display higher levels of ductility and malleability, shear strength, tensile strength and fatigue resistance than cast parts. There is no overcoming that. Forging creates beneficial grain structure alignment that just can't be duplicated in a cast part.

I would agree, the Redhawks are fine, durable revolvers, but again, I think a lot of it comes from added weight and more massive parts and I think any added strength they have over S&W's has been way, way over stated over the years.

I've shot 65,000 PSI factory loaded 454 Casull in my Rehawk, try that in a S&W and then tell us the strength difference is overstated

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I guess I’m going to derail my own thread, but here goes.

It seems there’s a pretty good consensus that Rugers are stronger than comparable models made by Smith and Wesson. A few years ago Smith introduced their model 69 in an L frame chambered for .44 mag. I have two of them. I don’t shoot Buffalo Bore type full full strength loads from them because I’m not sure they, or my wrists, would hold up very well. But I do really like them.

Now take Ruger’s GP100, which I also have in .357 mag. Over the years I have seen it described here on the campfire as being “made like a tank” literally dozens of times. So when Ruger came out with a five shot version of it in .44 caliber did they chamber it in .44 magnum? No, to my disappointment it is chambered in .44 special. It weighs within an ounce of a model 69. Why didn’t Ruger think it was strong enough to chamber in a .44 magnum? I would love a GP100 in .44 mag.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by McInnis

It seems there’s a pretty good consensus that Rugers are stronger than comparable models made by Smith and Wesson. A few years ago Smith introduced their model 69 in an L frame chambered for .44 mag. I have two of them. I don’t shoot Buffalo Bore type full full strength loads from them because I’m not sure they, or my wrists, would hold up very well. But I do really like them.

Now take Ruger’s GP100, which I also have in .357 mag. Over the years I have seen it described here on the campfire as being “made like a tank” literally dozens of times. So when Ruger came out with a five shot version of it in .44 caliber did they chamber it in .44 magnum? No, to my disappointment it is chambered in .44 special. It weighs within an ounce of a model 69. Why didn’t Ruger think it was strong enough to chamber in a .44 magnum? I would love a GP100 in .44 mag.

It's a mystery that they didn't chamber it in .454 Casull, given the the almost magical increase in tensile strength their miracle alloys have over forged machined steel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother bought a Super Red Hawk in 44 Mag when they came out. The bore on that revolver was so over-size the bullets would tumble. You could drop a 44 bullet through the barrel. It shot 12” groups at 25 yard if you’re lucky. I had a FFL license back then and was looking for a decent silhouette revolver. I bought and sold 10 Super Black Hawks before I got one that shot accurately. It shot very well - 2” groups at 100 yards with GC cast.

I lost interest in Ruger revolvers. It was hit or miss in the Ruger’s until they made their own barrels. But by then I was fully a S&W shooter.

I’ve owned quite a few S&W revolvers. I like them all.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/19/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by McInnis

It's a mystery that they didn't chamber it in .454 Casull, given the the almost magical increase in tensile strength their miracle alloys have over forged machined steel.

See for yourself

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The high strength alloy is used on the 454&480 cylinders only.

That’s why my 480 Redhawk needed a SRH cylinder

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
The high strength alloy is used on the 454&480 cylinders only.

That’s why my 480 Redhawk needed a SRH cylinder

Ruger just wanted a higher safety factor the regular Redhawk cylinder is strong enough as the many conversion have proven

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 25 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.