Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by McInnis
Thanks for the feedback. Is trigger work on the Redhawks easy or does it take a gunsmith?

Also, I see that Ruger’s website shows the 5.5” model with hardwood grips and the 4.2” barrel has Hogue rubber grips. Are the grips on all the Redhawks interchangeable?
Redhawk or Super Redhawk??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Thanks for the feedback. Is trigger work on the Redhawks easy or does it take a gunsmith?

Also, I see that Ruger’s website shows the 5.5” model with hardwood grips and the 4.2” barrel has Hogue rubber grips. Are the grips on all the Redhawks interchangeable?

All Redhawk grips are interchangeable from one Redhawk to another.

Super Redhawk grips do not interchangeable with Redhawks

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

All Redhawk grips are interchangeable from one Redhawk to another.

Super Redhawk grips do not interchangeable with Redhawks
Correct.

Some posts are talking SRH. Just making sure we are talking RH and not SRH.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/19/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Now take Ruger’s GP100, which I also have in .357 mag. Over the years I have seen it described here on the campfire as being “made like a tank” literally dozens of times. So when Ruger came out with a five shot version of it in .44 caliber did they chamber it in .44 magnum? No, to my disappointment it is chambered in .44 special. It weighs within an ounce of a model 69. Why didn’t Ruger think it was strong enough to chamber in a .44 magnum? I would love a GP100 in .44 mag.
This is basically what pappy348 and I were eluding too.
The S.R.H and Gp100 have a grip frame that gives more grip choices and I believe a trigger that is easier cleanup. My desire would be to have a 44 Alaskan fit with a Redhawk barrel. I do not want scope ring notches nor the double barrel look of a Super Redhawk.
I have a Gp100 .357, Redhawk 5.5” 44 and the Redhawk 45lc/45acp. I prefer the Gp100 grip I just can’t justify having Bowen build me my dream gun at least not yet
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 338reddog; 05/19/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
The high strength alloy is used on the 454&480 cylinders only.

That’s why my 480 Redhawk needed a SRH cylinder

Ruger just wanted a higher safety factor the regular Redhawk cylinder is strong enough as the many conversion have proven

Agree. Just stating for clarity
Been doing conversions for 30 years on and off.
Starting to do it again for retirement

Last edited by 257_X_50; 05/19/23.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ii don't think I'd trade a S&W I liked for a Ruger unless you were planning to do a lot more, heavy load shooting than most will ever do. I have a redhawk that was my first .44. I can't say much bad about it. I've made some great shots I shouldn't have taken with it; mbut I just don't like how it feels / handles as much as some of others.

I think it all boils down to your anticipated use.

O.s. I too was puzzled that the ruger gp 100 was only in special while the Smith was magnumm.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 05/20/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I would really like to see your conversions. I wouldn’t mind my Redhawk 45LC/acp to have a 454 cylinder.
I have a Blackhawk 454 but that 4.2 round butt feels awesome in my hand. Although I have not had the time to shoot it yet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Being a heavily Ruger leaning handgunner, proven by my safe, if I were in the market for a new .44 Magnum the S&W 29 Classic would be a very seriopus consideration.
Think Bill Rugers Grandson went to work for S&W and showed them how to build a revolver.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You guys that have these as well as S&W model 29/629s, how would you compare them in reliability and accuracy?

I have too many revolvers, including 3 model 629s and one 29. I’m thinking of selling one of them and maybe getting a Redhawk. There’s one at the LGS I have my eye on.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the price difference in Rugers and Smiths has gone away, at least in this store. Is that everywhere?

Comments appreciated.

I like the various 5" and shorter 629's. A dash 5, 4" is possibly my personal favorite. But, I also like like a couple of the nominal 4" Redhawks. I have one each in 44 mag & 45 Colt. If I had to make a choice, I personally would choose my 4" ish Redhawk over my 629. Partial reason is, I actually like the looks and "feel" of the 4" Redhawk and I can fire any commercially produce factory ammunition in the Redhawk. The looks and feel are strictly a individual like or dislike.
I don't see much in price differences between the two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338reddog

I would really like to see your conversions. I wouldn’t mind my Redhawk 45LC/acp to have a 454 cylinder.
I have a Blackhawk 454 but that 4.2 round butt feels awesome in my hand. Although I have not had the time to shoot it yet.
They are interchangeable

IC B3

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It’s looking like the cost difference in Redhawks and Colt Anacondas is only about about two hundred dollars. Anyone shot one of the new Anacondas yet?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oldelk: "They are beefier on purpose and use the latest greatest alloy."
If that is true why did Ruger change the 454 Casull Redhawk from a 6 shot cylinder to a 5 shot to counteract the sticky ejection problem?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lott: "...the Ruger Super Redhawk is actually lighter than the Redhawk"
From the Ruger specifications on the Ruger website Redhawk 47 ounces. Super Redhawk 53 ounces.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bobmn
If that is true why did Ruger change the 454 Casull Redhawk from a 6 shot cylinder to a 5 shot to counteract the sticky ejection problem?
They changed the 480s to five shot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got greedy and bought a new 8 inch Anaconda, I have an old one, a Colt Gunshop Custom. I also got a new 6 inch Python. I own 2 old style Pythons, a two and a half and a 6 inch Colt Gunshop Custom (since 1982.) I bought a King Cobra .22 ten shot revolver also.
The new Anaconda is heavy, stoutly built and the quality is very good. It doesn't match my 6 inch Royal Blue Python in good looks but fit and finish are excellent. I have fired about five hundred rounds of mostly 240 grain hardcast TC bullets at nearly 1350 fps through it. I have killed steel plates, rocks, gongs, a laptop computer and other inanimate objects. I have had some serious health problems that have precluded any hunting yet.

I owned a Redhawk for fifteen plus years. I believe this is anything the Redhawk was and better. It is a better shooter than my old Anaconda and is a better hunting partner than my snubby Super Red Hawk.

My criticisms of the new Anaconda include:
1. Single action from the factory had rough creep definitely not present in the Gunshop Anaconda. Pull was 6lbs 3 oz. Double action was a healthy 9lbs 12oz. A trip to Heffron Engineering (641)732 -0050 brought the DA to smooth 9lbs and the SA to 2lbs 13oz.
2. The rear sights are like a turd on an award winning Black Forest Cherry Cake. I would have gladly given Colt a couple hundred dollars more for the Wilson Combat Elliason sights that I bought to replace the worthless original equipment sights. I also installed a Wilson Combat Gold Bead front sight. I liked the Wilson combination well enough to put them on all three of my new snake guns.

When you pay $1500 for a top quality revolver you should not have send it out to have further work done.

In summary, excellent handguns worth the money certainly equal to or better than the Redhawk and probably the venerable S&W 29.(I never owned the S&W but have fired several.) Colt just really missed the target (backstop, even) on the sights.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I have discussed investment casting at length with my good friend who is an outstanding retired ME and said that investment casting has the same grain structure as forged. Did you read my post where I posted a link to Carpenter steel?

Yes I was talking about the SRH not the Redhawk. I believe the Redhawk uses 410 alloy steel.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They didn't. The 454 is still a 6 shot. Sticky extraction is because they did a poor job chambering the cylinders

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 480 factory ammo was slightly sticky in the six shots, but since I load my own and am content with 400 gr cast @ 1200 fps I've never had an issue with my 480. With a cast bullet with a length designed for the SRH cylinder you can push 400's 1350 fps without sticking, but recoil is past my comfort level.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I own a Super Redhawk and a 629. I prefer the looks of the 629 over the Ruger but the function of both are fantastic. I’m looking for a longer barreled 629 now to add a Leupold scope to that sitting in my safe. Here is a 50 yard group I shot with my Ruger with my hand loads.

You ain't about that life.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
jwp: Could you please explain how Ruger did "... a poor job chambering the cylinders"? Thanks. Not trying to be argumentative.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.