Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You guys that have these as well as S&W model 29/629s, how would you compare them in reliability and accuracy?

I have too many revolvers, including 3 model 629s and one 29. I’m thinking of selling one of them and maybe getting a Redhawk. There’s one at the LGS I have my eye on.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the price difference in Rugers and Smiths has gone away, at least in this store. Is that everywhere?

Comments appreciated.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I find I can handle heavier loads thru my redhawk than my 629, I don’t find any accuracy differences, the Ruger is bulletproof

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several S&W 629s, and still have one. I have owned several Ruger RedHawks, and still have three. No discernible difference in accuracy between the two brands. I have had to work on the Redhawk triggers in order to get them close to the Smith triggers, but now are very good both in single or double action. Choose between the two……? I’ll take a Redhawk!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the feedback. Is trigger work on the Redhawks easy or does it take a gunsmith?

Also, I see that Ruger’s website shows the 5.5” model with hardwood grips and the 4.2” barrel has Hogue rubber grips. Are the grips on all the Redhawks interchangeable?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
I find I can handle heavier loads thru my redhawk than my 629, I don’t find any accuracy differences, the Ruger is bulletproof
I have a vintage 29 and a Red Hawk. Accuracy is about the same, Ruger is heavier and stronger. I like’em both.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There are plenty of YouTube videos on smoothing Ruger revolvers.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would avoid the 7.5" Redhawk, they shoot very well, but are so heavy and bulky that they are no fun to pack around. I didn't even find it fun to shoot, really, it was just big and awkward for me. The shorter guns (4.2 and 5.5" guns, seem like a better, handier choice.

You might feel differently, your money, your choice. I won't fool with the longer Redhawks again. I don't think a normal person could ever wear one out, and see no need for the Super Redhawk at all, but everyone isn't like me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I couldn’t agree more, all my revolvers have 4” barrels or less except for a 5.5” Super Blackhawk and that’s my limit.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The Redhawks are indeed very heavily built. That said the very vast majority of the shooting public does not shoot enough heavy loads through their .44s (either Smith & Wesson, or Ruger) for it to matter. I have both, and both work fine. I don't really feel the need to do a trigger job on the Redhawks as while their DA and SA triggers on average may not be as nice as a typical Smith, they are certainly shootable. Plus the more you actually shoot them, the better they get.

It gets repeated ad nauseum about how N Frame .44s are weak and how strong the Redhawks are. A good bit of this is parroting by guys who don't even own examples, or shoot them very little. I have put literally thousands of rounds through N Frames, to include heavy for caliber 300-310-320 grain projectiles. While the N Frames are not quite as strong as the Redhawks, they are certainly not weak, by any stretch.

In favor of the Redhawk, if it is right from the factory, timed correctly, odds are it will last a lifetime, even with loads that are beyond what are recommended. Generally speaking, guys wrists, elbows and hands physically break down from years of pounding heavy loads through their guns, before the guns actually wear out.

I know that in my case, I don't shoot the heavy loads in the quantities like I did in my 20s and 30s. No real need and if I want to continue to shoot for years to come it is better to take care of my hands and wrists, rather than continue to trash them with high volumes of heavy recoil.

Back to the Redhawk, they are a little heavier to pack, but nothing a proper holster and belt won't fix. Great revolvers. If I had to choose just one .44 Mag, it would be a 5" N Frame Model 29 though. There is nothing it cannot take cleanly, and I have yet to completely wear one out in spite of years of shooting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Older 29s made prior to the introduction of the Endurance package would go out of time or have other issues if fired extensively with heavy loads. My late brother had an original 629 and it began to skip over a chamber at times. He sent it to a smith for magnaporting, an action job, and a ball-detent in the crane. The Endurance package, according to what I’ve read, makes them able to handle a bunch of hot loads, probably more than the vast majority of shooters would ever fire. For carry, a 29 seems better to me, although a good chest or shoulder rig should make any of the three tolerable.

I’ve owned an early 29, a Redhawk, and a Super Redhawk, all fine guns. My dream gun would be a Super Redhawk with the frame cut back and fitted with a Redhawk barrel like Hamilton Bowen does, maybe in .45 Colt.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to through it in the mix, the Ruger Super Redhawk is actually lighter than the Redhawk, and from what I have seen they are extremely accurate revolvers, many with the right load to be capable of moa accuracy. I find with the Hogue grips they are very comfortable to shoot with the heaviest loads. I'd also suggest if you are a handloader, consider the Toklat. The 5" barrel is packable and balances well, and you can throttle it any way you want it and not worry about it shaking loose.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Older 29s made prior to the introduction of the Endurance package would go out of time or have other issues if fired extensively with heavy loads. My late brother had an original 629 and it began to skip over a chamber at times. He sent it to a smith for magnaporting, an action job, and a ball-detent in the crane. The Endurance package, according to what I’ve read, makes them able to handle a bunch of hot loads, probably more than the vast majority of shooters would ever fire. For carry, a 29 seems better to me, although a good chest or shoulder rig should make any of the three tolerable.

I’ve owned an early 29, a Redhawk, and a Super Redhawk, all fine guns. My dream gun would be a Super Redhawk with the frame cut back and fitted with a Redhawk barrel like Hamilton Bowen does, maybe in .45 Colt.

I had one of the early 80's 629's and I could not keep the side plates on tight. They would loosen up after just a few rounds. It went back to the factory and all they did put locktite on it. Someone wanted it more than I did at that point and down the road it went.

I had a Redhawk with the 7.5 inch barrel and sold it a few months ago. It could double as a framing hammer if need be . I like the Redhawk better and I kind of have some interest in an Anaconda that my not so local dealer has 6" primarily although he has an 8" model as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Just to through it in the mix, the Ruger Super Redhawk is actually lighter than the Redhawk, and from what I have seen they are extremely accurate revolvers, many with the right load to be capable of moa accuracy. I find with the Hogue grips they are very comfortable to shoot with the heaviest loads. I'd also suggest if you are a handloader, consider the Toklat. The 5" barrel is packable and balances well, and you can throttle it any way you want it and not worry about it shaking loose.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

Or, maybe just one like that…..

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In all but one of my revolvers I shoot hardcast loads. I have a 7.5" Redhawk that shoots well with hardcast, but for some reason it absolutely turns into another animal with 300 grain XTPs. It literally is the one and only revolver that I shoot jacketed bullets in.

This is 5 rounds at 100 yards with the red dot equipped 7.5" Redhawk shooting the 300 grain XTPs. I have had rifles do worse.

Bear in mind that I shot a few 2.5" and 3" groups at 100 yards too, but still the thing absolutely stacks 300 grain XTPs, so that is all it is fed.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'd also suggest if you are a handloader, consider the Toklat.

I reload for sure, but what is a Toklat? I did search and all I found was an equistrian equipment company.

??

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a 7 1/2” RedHawk and a few 629’s. Like Mackey Sagebrush, I have found that my RedHawk is a whole different animal with 300 grain XTP’s, shooting them better than anything else. Also. It was pretty comfortable to shoot with them. I have done some trigger work on it and it’s okay, but not in the same league with my 629 triggers.

Overall, I find my 629’s and other N frames to be nicer handling, more refined revolvers.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by McInnis
I'd also suggest if you are a handloader, consider the Toklat.

I reload for sure, but what is a Toklat? I did search and all I found was an equistrian equipment company.

??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a river in Alaska known for big bears.

In the case of the Ruger, it's a 454 Casull Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Something not often mentioned about the Redhawk is that there are not tons of aftermarket grips available. May not be a deal breaker for you if you can find something you like or you like the factory stocks.

As far as strength, as Mackey and other have mentioned it takes a lot of shooting to really wear out an N frame. But other than mainsprings getting light and giving light strikes, I don’t think I ever saw a Redhawk come across my workbench that was “broken”.

I also know two guys who bought both a 45Colt Redhawk and a 454 Super Redhawk. They then disassembled them and swapped the Super’s 454 cylinder into the regular Redhawk. They subsequently shot them for years with no issues. So I doubt you can harm one chambered for 44 Magnum with any halfway sane loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also to add to the Redhawks strength is the notches in the cylinder are offset, so the cylinder is exceptionally strong. I know of folks who have loaded the 44 mag redhawks to well beyond Ruger levels. Not at all recommended, just to point out the immense strength of the gun. The cylinder is stronger, the cylinder lockup is stronger and the frame is stronger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.