Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Have any of you shot birds while in Africa?

I have an invite to go to Namibia to tag along as an observer
just for the cost of airfare. I thought about "upgrading", but
I hunted plains game in South Africa 20 years ago, and my wall
space for additional trophies is at 0%...

So, I've asked about wing shooting with the outfitter, and they
were most enthusiastic! They have three species of sandgrouse,
Francolin, Guinea-fowl, and doves.

I'm an avid shotgun shooter, and bird hunter.

Just testing the waters to others experiences, and advice.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot African goose one afternoon. It was an absolute ball. Corn field and they make a cover of stalks to lay over you. They came into within 10 yards. Really got me started wing shooting. Large flocks (50 to 100) of guinea fowl and a smaller bird called Frankolin (sp?) Think you would have a ball.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have hunted birds on several safaris, all but one as an adjunct to big game. But also did a couple days of it during a 10-day Namibian safari, including sand grouse, francolin and guinea-fowl. Don't remember taking any doves on that one, but my last safari was an all-bird deal in RSA, and took all but sand grouse, along with at least three species of doves and pigeons. Also did several guinea-fowl hunts in both typical cover and cornfields, and the corn hunting was a lot like pheasants in the Midwest, except guineas twice as big, and the limit was 10 a day. In fact, the RSA bird safari was even better than the two bird hunts I've done in Argentina.

But the Namibian bird hunting was also great. I'd definitely go for it!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Best leave the shotty-gun, Bob."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You can have a ball bird shooting in Africa.

On a Botswana hunt, I took a case of shells, 20 boxes, for the portion of the hunt up in the Linyanti Swamps. I shot Guinea fowl, francolin, ducks, geese, and doves - lots of doves. My last day, I had 90 shells left so we decided to see how long it’d take to shoot them…. 12 1/2 minutes, 48 doves. On a 24 day full bag hunt, that last dove shoot remains one of the best memories.

Last edited by CAelknuts; 05/15/23. Reason: Spelling
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Shot doves and guinea in Namibia two years ago and will be there again next Tuesday and 100% will do it again. Told outfitter to get 5 flats. Corn harvest is underway! The most doves I've seen since I was in Argentina. Not as many, but most I've seen since.

WHEELS UP-6 DAYS!!!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Did a 10 day wing shoot in April (sunflower harvest) a few years back. We stayed in RSA, in the Free State AKA the Orange Free State, with Grass Land Safaris at their lodge about 4 hours by rocket ship van, north of Joeberg. Shot Rock Pigeons, Speckled Rock Pigeons, quail, doves, guinea foul ducks, spur wing geese. some of the group hunted plains game. I like wing shooting best, so did an every day bird shoot. Great folks to go out with.
I took two O/U Brownings, a 20 and a 12. Need to take a strong gun case, our guns got pulled off our plane and ended up in Paris, before they were sent on to us. long story.

If you have never shot rock pigeons, they are,hard candy treats, for a wing shooter, very aerobatic, at the first shot, they start, stop, roll, spin, loop, turn 90% all in one pass. Normal % of hits to shots is 25%. That is in an open field, very elusive, amazing display of flight for a big bird, 2' wing span.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Gras Safaris that I hunted back in 2010 had two alfalfa crop circles on their 90,000 ace farm. After plains game hunting and a short nap, we spent the evening around the alfalfa shooting Guinea Fowl. It was absolutely fantastic, like quail hunting birds the size of chickens. I would go back and just do that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I took an o/u both times over had a ball shot lots of ducks geese and grousee type birds, highlight was an emperor goose. Beautiful bird. Had a bunch of the birds stolen out of the bakke while we were hunting.

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I too have taken my O/U to Namibia twice, and taken the (3) main species. I really enjoy some bird hunting in Africa when there’s time.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
just returned from Namibia. What a shoot, even better than last time! Doves and sand grouse in abundance. Shot my AyA sxs 20 bore. Had a helluva time. If you get the opportunity, take that smoothbore.
S

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Did a bird shoot in RSA a few years ago. Spent 2 weeks there. It was phenomenal. Shot doves, pigeons, francolin, guineas, and waterfowl- multiple duck species as well as Egyptian and spur wing geese. Hunted from northern Limpopo province all the way down to the Eastern Cape. Used the outfitter’s shotguns and spent 3 days in Kruger National Park and 2 days in Cape Town. Outfitter had great dogs and furnishes everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have hunted birds on several safaris, all but one as an adjunct to big game. But also did a couple days of it during a 10-day Namibian safari, including sand grouse, francolin and guinea-fowl. Don't remember taking any doves on that one, but my last safari was an all-bird deal in RSA, and took all but sand grouse, along with at least three species of doves and pigeons. Also did several guinea-fowl hunts in both typical cover and cornfields, and the corn hunting was a lot like pheasants in the Midwest, except guineas twice as big, and the limit was 10 a day. In fact, the RSA bird safari was even better than the two bird hunts I've done in Argentina.

But the Namibian bird hunting was also great. I'd definitely go for it!

I know a very appreciative young man who lives an African bird hunt vicariously every time he un-cases his 20 gauge Wby.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by jdollar
Did a bird shoot in RSA a few years ago. Spent 2 weeks there. It was phenomenal. Shot doves, pigeons, francolin, guineas, and waterfowl- multiple duck species as well as Egyptian and spur wing geese. Hunted from northern Limpopo province all the way down to the Eastern Cape. Used the outfitter’s shotguns and spent 3 days in Kruger National Park and 2 days in Cape Town. Outfitter had great dogs and furnishes everything.

I need to do that trip one of these days. I’m guessing Walter was a great host/PH to do this with?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes indeed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes indeed.

If anyone believes what this lying loser has to say, then it's on you. He's a fraud and proven liar.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Another helpful post from the troll……Trolling, trolling, trolling, keep the bullshit trolling.

Last edited by jdollar; 06/07/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh really? Who's full of bullschittt? It's called FACT when you're right, not trolling you pathetic fraud.

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

You can’t fix stupid.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/07/23.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What do your trolls have to do with wing shooting in Africa? Have you ever done it? Pathetic…..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
You can have a ball bird shooting in Africa.

On a Botswana hunt, I took a case of shells, 20 boxes, for the portion of the hunt up in the Linyanti Swamps. I shot Guinea fowl, francolin, ducks, geese, and doves - lots of doves. My last day, I had 90 shells left so we decided to see how long it’d take to shoot them…. 12 1/2 minutes, 48 doves. On a 24 day full bag hunt, that last dove shoot remains one of the best memories.

The great bird hunting is a main reason I use a drilling in Africa. Years ago in Masailand I shot sandgrouse, francolin (three varieties) and guinea fowl with the same gun I used to kill a buffalo, a Simson 12/12/9,3X74R. Another trip in Zimbabwe I shot a good kudu, many francolin, and some giant guinaes with a Tikka 512 in 12 over 9,3X74R.

Any bird hunter who goes to Africa will miss some spectacular wing-shooting and good eating if they pass on bird hunting.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.