Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have heard it can damage the barrels ?

Any thoughts first hand knowledge ?

Shoot me a PM please.

Thanks in advance!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't say what chokes your barrels are but there shouldn't be any problems with buckshot through IC/M chokes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It has several, I just bought buckshot for skunks etc.

Don’t want to hurt it though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
?????
What else would you shoot 20 gauge buckshot out of other than a 20 gauge shotgun? Nor are there many Skunks that will shrug off a load of 5’s or even less.

Where did you hear this?

Last edited by battue; 05/08/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
A guy who has several higher end shotguns.
Never had a side by side before, don’t want to mess it up.
I think to be safe I’ll stick to 4-5’s.
Thanks.

Last edited by Cntrmass; 05/08/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have been shooting soft lead buckshot thru shotguns for at least a century. Shotguns not made with as good a steel as your modern CZ.

Buckshot isn’t needed for Skunks and such….and most likely isn’t a best first choice for the them….but it won’t hurt the gun.

Last edited by battue; 05/08/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How big are your skunks?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Won't hurt at all.

Better pattern that thing with 4s or 5s and a full choke if shooting far. A skunk isn't a very big critter, you will want some pretty good pattern density. Myself I would be leaning towards #6 or even 7 1/2 if not shooting real far.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/08/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Won't hurt at all.

Better pattern that thing with 4s or 5s and a full choke if shooting far. A skunk isn't a very big critter, you will want some pretty good pattern density. Myself I would be leaning towards #6 or even 7 1/2 if not shooting real far.

Yep. #6’s work good on skunks and varmints.

Buckshot loads are saved for feral hogs are home defense. And won’t hurt that CZ at all.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old legends die hard...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't stand too close when you shoot them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Don't stand too close when you shoot them.
thats what I was thinking. I shot one at 75 yds with a 223 and it was like a chemical attack. Close range with a shotgun, not me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the funniest things I've seen was a friend shooting a skunk with his bow. We had been bowhunting until dark that evening and I was dropping him off at his house. When we pulled up there was a skunk raiding his trash can sitting out on his wooden deck. My friend said, "There that s.o.b. is, something has been getting in that trash and now I know. His azz is grass!" My buddy grabbed his bow and nocked one of his arrows, took careful aim and cut that broadhead loose. Beautiful shot, zapped that skunk perfectly through the shoulders. Problem was, we were uphill and so the downward trajectory of the arrow meant that the broadhead sliced through the skunk and then buried into the deck flooring and pinned that skunk tight to the deck! The skunk was just outside his back door, which led directly into his kitchen. His wife was in the kitchen with the sliding back door open and just the screen between her and the jet blast of skunk perfume that the pinwheeled skunk released upon impact of the arrow. I heard a blood curdling scream from the house and immediately my buddy said, "Oh fuggg!" I said good luck bud and scooted out of there throwing a rooster tail of dust ten feet high.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks.
Plenty big !

I just thought a fine Turkish side by side would be fun !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No damage, shoot away

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
One of the funniest things I've seen was a friend shooting a skunk with his bow. We had been bowhunting until dark that evening and I was dropping him off at his house. When we pulled up there was a skunk raiding his trash can sitting out on his wooden deck. My friend said, "There that s.o.b. is, something has been getting in that trash and now I know. His azz is grass!" My buddy grabbed his bow and nocked one of his arrows, took careful aim and cut that broadhead loose. Beautiful shot, zapped that skunk perfectly through the shoulders. Problem was, we were uphill and so the downward trajectory of the arrow meant that the broadhead sliced through the skunk and then buried into the deck flooring and pinned that skunk tight to the deck! The skunk was just outside his back door, which led directly into his kitchen. His wife was in the kitchen with the sliding back door open and just the screen between her and the jet blast of skunk perfume that the pinwheeled skunk released upon impact of the arrow. I heard a blood curdling scream from the house and immediately my buddy said, "Oh fuggg!" I said good luck bud and scooted out of there throwing a rooster tail of dust ten feet high.

LOL.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Personally I wouldn't hunt with a guy that would shoot towards his own house/kitchen door when his wife is home. Dangerous bastard. Maybe it's just me but I'm kinda picky about safety.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Personally I wouldn't hunt with a guy that would shoot towards his own house/kitchen door when his wife is home. Dangerous bastard. Maybe it's just me but I'm kinda picky about safety.

Especially when the target is skunks! Yeah I get what you are saying. This was years ago, I was in my early 20-somethings. I met this guy while shooting archery tournaments and bow league at a local range. He was funny as hell, a good shot and a bunch of us guys would hang out after the league and drink a few beers. He killed a lot of deer and turkeys on his father-in-law's property and invited me to hunt the place. I did and actually managed to kill a decent buck and a turkey with my bow there. Sometime after the skunk incident we went to the property to hunt and as we were unpacking our gear a truck came bouncing in behind us and a guy got out yelling and waving his arms around, really pissed off. Turned out this guy from the bow league had been lying about the property, his father in law only owned five acres which joined this much larger farm. This bigger farm was several hundred acres and owned by a rich lawyer from St. Louis. Evidently he wasn't down there to the farm much. My buddy the skunk shooter had been sneaking in there trespassing for years. The actual property owner was calling the Sheriff and was carrying on and on. I explained my situation and the skunk shooter admitted he had lied to me about the property. The owner calmed down and we came to an understanding, no more trespassing. As I took the skunk shooter home we had a discussion about the situation also. That was the last time I hunted with the guy. I lost touch with him, he quit coming around. Many years later he committed suicide. Youth and inexperience...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MOGC

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this afternoon.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (808outdoors, 338reddog, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 5spd, 12 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,115
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.