Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18363211 04/22/23
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wife bought me some keen hunting boots a couple weeks ago. They didn't feel all that great so today I returned them and tried on a pair of oboz. The salesman told me to walk around the mall for a bit to see how they feel.

I headed to the kids playground. Crap there to climb on. Dang boots actually feel good.

Went home with them. My question is if anyone has used them and the durability of the boots. I've never heard of oboz before. Do they hold up?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a pair and wanted to like them. They fit good and I think the quality is there. But all of the ones I've owned or tried on have zero cushioning. They feel pretty good when walking off pavement, but if walking on a hard surface they aren't as comfortable as I'd like.

I realize they make several styles and others may suit me better. But in that price range I like these.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/keen-durand-ii-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots-for-men

These are USA made and a big step up over most Keen boots. I saw them advertised at $140 on Amazon, but couldn't get the link to work.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have worn a pair of GTX style Oboz for about 5 years. When new, the fit and comfort were superb. It felt as if the boot were molded around my foot. Over time, that wonderful comfort diminished to the point that after wearing the boots for several hours last Thanksgiving in a hard surface, my feet hurt badly. I replaced the Oboz factory insole with Super Feet and the boots no longer cause pain - but the comfort of the brand new boot is long gone.

In the past, I wore a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX for many years - best boot I have ever owned.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried them and currently have a pair of Sypes I wear as "dress shoes" when it's crappy out.

Oboz are well built, fit normal to narrow feet well, and come with a pretty good OEM insole. My issue is the rounded outsole on them, it is more pronounced on some models. I found the rounded edges less stable than a more normal flat outsole w/o the rounded edges.

The other thing is that they aren't overly cushioned - but that was never an issue for me because they fit well and I didn't carry big loads with them.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a pair, but after wearing out dozens of Asolos, every time I switch away I regret it. The Oboz boots were no exception.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
I have worn a pair of GTX style Oboz for about 5 years. When new, the fit and comfort were superb. It felt as if the boot were molded around my foot. Over time, that wonderful comfort diminished to the point that after wearing the boots for several hours last Thanksgiving in a hard surface, my feet hurt badly. I replaced the Oboz factory insole with Super Feet and the boots no longer cause pain - but the comfort of the brand new boot is long gone.

In the past, I wore a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX for many years - best boot I have ever owned.

Interested in the Asolo Fugitive since they are available in wide.

Reviews say the soles fall apart ( material breaks down) after a couple years, any experience with that?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It has been a few years since I had my Asolo boots. As I recall, they were a wide size and I probably wore them for 7 years. They never exhibited any signs of breaking down. From the very start, I used SuperFeet in the Asolo’s. The Oboz were good; the Asolo were great.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got Asolo Fugitives - they are stiffer than one needs unless weight carrying is the plan. The only degradation I’ve seen is the randing at the toe can crack/check over time. I keep wearing mine and have had no structural or integrity issue with the rubber cracking a little. Not every pair does it and mostly the older versions I’ve had seem to be afflicted. My .02

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I’ve got Asolo Fugitives - they are stiffer than one needs unless weight carrying is the plan. The only degradation I’ve seen is the randing at the toe can crack/check over time. I keep wearing mine and have had no structural or integrity issue with the rubber cracking a little. Not every pair does it and mostly the older versions I’ve had seem to be afflicted. My .02

Thanks!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had gone through two pairs of the premium leather mids. Very comfortable, but not very durable. Make it about one season. Not planning on purchasing again.

Went with Crispi's and are holding up much better.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Like stated above....

Very well constructed, but no cushioning. I stand on concrete all day and even after replacing the insoles with more cushion, my feet still hurt.

Also, the low cut between the laces and heel pocket keep from getting the shoes tight enough to keep my heels from lifting and rubbing.

I wanted a low cut hiker that is waterproof and comes in XX-wide. I hoped Oboz would work.

I will NOT buy another Oboz.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I wore out 2 or3 pair of Oboz hiking boots, bought a replacement pair that ended up hurting my feet, same size and style, returned them for another pair, same results, something had changed with them. Switched to Keens and had the exact same thing happen, third pair, could not break them in. Sent them back and now looking for a new boot to try. Maybe it’s my feet, I don’t know.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Should mention, all the ones I wore out were great!

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So far they feel pretty good but the jury is still out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

94 members (35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 13 invisible), 975 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.