Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Have a Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet(1995 mfg). What is the bore size, groove size? I need to order a pilot for my reamer.
Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenacp
Have a Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet(1995 mfg). What is the bore size, groove size? I need to order a pilot for my reamer.
Thanks

I have owned several of those 1990s era Browning Low wall Hornet over the years. They struck me as having rimfire dimensioned barrels (tight bore with 1-16" twists). They were ALL very accurate when properly hand loaded for.

The only way you are going to know for sure is either slug the bore or at the very least use a precise set of pin gauges to find the true bore diameter for the pilot you need.

Last edited by jk16; 05/16/23.
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks jk16.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had mine since about 2000. Never slugged it, but it shoots standard .224 bullets very well indeed. I doubt any factory rifles were made with the old bore sizes since WWII. AFIK the twist is the standard 1-16, but at least one article I read reported very good accuracy with a 50gr bullet. Heaviest I use is a 46gr Speer FP.

Probably my favorite rifle, all things considered. Accurate, and fun and cheap to shoot. I use a Lee collet die and sometimes a regular Lee Loader. Don’t even own a FLS die.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Browning Low Wall in .22 Hornet is the best Hornet I've seen, as far as accuracy.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I foolishly allowed a friend to buy mine. It took me a day to regret the sale.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Please tell me you aren't going to alter the chamber, except, maybe, to K-Hornet!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Yep, going to be a "K". New pilot .2166 just arrived. Will get after it tomorrow.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The Browning Low Wall in .22 Hornet is the best Hornet I've seen, as far as accuracy.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I foolishly allowed a friend to buy mine. It took me a day to regret the sale.
Dang it, looks like I'll be on the lookout for a replacement Low Wall.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine shoots so well as-is I won’t futz around trying to improve it. I have a lot of brass, and some has been fired four times sized with a Lee collet die. I have a .223 if I need more speed, in fact my latest concoction is a Speer 46gr flat-point over a starting load of H110 w/SP primers. That’s plenty for my use, shoots very well, and the bullets are cheap, less than $11 last time I ordered from Midway. Lets me save my VMs for my 5.7.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My Browning low wall Hornet is a great rifle. Shoots 40 gr Hornady Vmax bullets with Lil Gun very well.
Very reliable rifle with very nice wood. I don’t know anyone with one that has had problems with its accuracy. I thought about reaming it to K-Hornet but it shoots too well the way it is.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
ss336- nice wood! Has it been refinished?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
ss336- nice wood! Has it been refinished?

Yes, the original finish was very dark and bowling ball shiny. Now it has a nice oil finish that has a warm glow. 😎

K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Very nice indeed, ss336! That is going to be my next winter project.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I’ve had one and it was quite accurate, but my Anschutz 1730 beats it in accuracy.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, going to be a "K". New pilot .2166 just arrived. Will get after it tomorrow.

One thing I eventually decided, after considerable experience with both standard and K-Hornets, is rechambering has little to do with the accuracy--as in "headspacing on the shoulder." Supposedly this is superior, somehow, to headspacing on the rim--yet there have been a BUNCH of very accurate rimmed cartridges over the years.

Instead I am convinced it's due to the tapered case, which tends to allow the case to tilt as its being pulled back over the typical expander-ball in standard dies, often resulting in a neck out of line with the case. When I have neck-sized fired .22 Hornet brass STRAIGHT, with various techniques and dies, the accuracy has been excellent due to far less bullet misalignment. The best example was a Ruger No. 1B I foolishly sold a few years ago, which would consistently put five shots under 1/2" with neck-sized cases. All the straighter-walled K-Hornet does is not allow the case to to tilt as much when being pulled over the expanded die, resulting in straighter necks--and hence better-aligned bullets.

The same thing happened with the converted BSA target rifle, converted from .22 rimfire, which I eventually bought to replace the Ruger. And yes, that was with .224" bullets in the "undersized" rimfire bore.

The velocity gained with the K-Hornet is minimal, and as a result I quit bothering with 'em--partly because rechambering usually results in lower re-sale value.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I decided the same thing very early, probably because I had such good results once I started loading my own with the collet dies. The extra velocity wasn’t needed, nor the extra work and expense. Even back in 2000 factory ammo was pretty expensive, and neither the Winchester nor the Hornady 35gr VMax very accurate in my LW.

I was really surprised when you sold that No.1. Thought sure it was a keeper…..

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sold it because I was using my CZ 527 in .17 Hornady Hornet a LOT more for the same purposes, primarily Richardson's ground squirrel and black-tailed prairie dog shooting, and found the .17 Hornet far superior.

But eventually discovered I still had a thing for the .22 Hornet, and am now on my second post-No. 1 rifle. The first was a BSA .22 target rifle on the small Martini single-shot action that had been converted to the .22 Hornet. It shot great, but about a year and a half ago ended up with an Anschutz bolt rifle. It shoots very well too--of course! So I sold the BSA Martini....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
kenacp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks to all that replied to my post. I wanted my LW to be a "K", to go along with my 22" K Hornet Contender by Bullberry. Fireform loads shoot great, no case trimming to worry about, and it just plane looks cool. Will be shooting some fireform loads in the next few weeks. Time will tell if it was the right decision or not. We will see....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle ss336

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sold it because I was using my CZ 527 in .17 Hornady Hornet a LOT more for the same purposes, primarily Richardson's ground squirrel and black-tailed prairie dog shooting, and found the .17 Hornet far superior.

But eventually discovered I still had a thing for the .22 Hornet, and am now on my second post-No. 1 rifle. The first was a BSA .22 target rifle on the small Martini single-shot action that had been converted to the .22 Hornet. It shot great, but about a year and a half ago ended up with an Anschutz bolt rifle. It shoots very well too--of course! So I sold the BSA Martini....

I eventually found a #1B in .218 Bee, with primo wood. Ruger apparently used 1 in 14" twist barrels, and it will stabilize 50gr boat tail bullets. It shoots extremely well. Brass is hard to find, but I have managed to squirrel away a few hundred cases, in recent years.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
Nice rifle ss336

Thanks Bugger.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
Nice rifle ss336

Definitely. The rifle is beautiful. LOVE the wood on it, great job refinishing it. I never see rifles like this (never mind condition, just the rifle type itself) in my area. I have looked for years at local shops and gun shows, no luck.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.