Campfire Regular
B
Enjoy your hunt.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Jokers, one of the customs guys twisted my target knobs on my rifle scope a bit. Glad I decided to check my sights. A full turn back to 0 on both turrets, exactly. Must have been his standing practical joke.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rapier
Jokers, one of the customs guys twisted my target knobs on my rifle scope a bit. Glad I decided to check my sights. A full turn back to 0 on both turrets, exactly. Must have been his standing practical joke.

Where?

In South Africa, the rifle never leaves my hands and I don't recall the Police ever touching them. SAPS seems to be getting lazier, they don't even wait for me to fully unpack from the TuffPak and they're telling me to case it.

If anyone screwed with your scope, I would suspect American TSA staff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Ended up using a local recommended guy "Tumi" and he couldn't have been any more helpful.

100 bucks for the permit assistance and 20 bribe to the local poo poo to keep our rifles at the station overnight.

There waiting in the morning and expedited through the airport lines. Apparently he used to work at the airport and nows who's who.

Arrived at camp late yesterday afternoon about 3 hours North of Port Elizabeth and the weather is truly chitty.

Wind and rain, appears to be letting up and hopefully we can get out starting tomorrow.

Man, the SAPS might know Tumi, but I would not be comfortable leaving my rifle with them overnight. It is Africa after all.

I hope you have a good trip.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have been through the JNB SAPS office at least 24 times. have always handled my own SAPS forms. I have never had a single problem. Not one.

These are the “secrets”…
1. Be polite and respectful…if you go in grumpy and irritated then you will get the same in return
2. Don’t be complaining about the situation…if you don’t like it then stay home
3. A smile and a thank you will go a long way
4. Just because you are tired/exhausted after your long flight doesn’t give you permission to treat them as your garbage can. Pull up your big boy pants and rise to the occasion. The world doesn’t revolve around you.
5. Again, if you are going to be a pain in the ass and bitch and moan then stay home!

Last edited by RinB; 05/16/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would wager that most if not all of the issues folks complain of are due to their own screw ups.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Africa Sky is my favorite but City Lodge is a good choice also.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Have the laws changed? I had zero issues taking my firearms everywhere I went in South Africa. Upon arrival and leaving the airport we stayed in Sandton at the Michelangelo Hotel with zero issues or hassles with rifles. After that we went to Sun City and stayed at the Palace of the Lost City for a few days before hunting also with zero issue taking firearms with us. The Photo Safari guides at the Palace carried their double rifles inside the hotel without an issue. Also a couple of internal flights and other travel and not one issue. Is it just the Marriott that is the problem?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
One thing to keep in mind. Some SA local/regional airlines don’t carry firearms.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.