-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Scored 2000 Nosler swaged 148 gr. HBWC bullets yesterday (story here) and since the old original lube on them is pretty much gone I was going to try tumble lubing them with Lee liquid alox.

Have tried tumble lubing in the past on a small batch of some other cast bullets and it's "okay" but it does leave the bullets sticky even when dry. Some youtubers report using some kind of fine powder to coat the bullets to make them less sticky, which sounds like a good idea but youtube being youtube I wanted to double check with the real experts here.

Has anyone done that and did you see any downside to it? My only concern is that even though talc is a soft mineral the powder might be a bit abrasive over the long run. The bullets will be used mostly in a mid-60's Colt Officer's Model Match and I'd hate to do anything that might damage the barrel.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine ground mica powder would be an option. Commonly used to lube case necks.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Member
Online Confused
Campfire Member
B
I think this would be a better solution: 45-45-10/Deluxe Liquid Xlox from White Label Lube. I like it because it dries hard and is not tacky.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Scored 2000 Nosler swaged 148 gr. HBWC bullets yesterday (story here) and since the old original lube on them is pretty much gone I was going to try tumble lubing them with Lee liquid alox.

Have tried tumble lubing in the past on a small batch of some other cast bullets and it's "okay" but it does leave the bullets sticky even when dry. Some youtubers report using some kind of fine powder to coat the bullets to make them less sticky, which sounds like a good idea but youtube being youtube I wanted to double check with the real experts here.

Has anyone done that and did you see any downside to it? My only concern is that even though talc is a soft mineral the powder might be a bit abrasive over the long run. The bullets will be used mostly in a mid-60's Colt Officer's Model Match and I'd hate to do anything that might damage the barrel.
I just looked it up...talc is as soft as it gets..1 on the Mohs scale. Mica across the grain is 4 Mohs. For reference most glass is 5.5 Mohs. Back before men started wearing earrings...starters and generators were assembled with 'motor mica' as a dry lube that did not conduct killywrinkles.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use dilute ALOX and after about an hour dust it with a 75/25 motor mica/graphite mix. Works fine.

Sample prior to dusting...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/09/23.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This turned out to be a moot point. "...the old original lube on them is pretty much gone..." is true but apparently there is still enough there to get the job done.

Have made two tests on two different days with two different revolvers, shooting the bullets as they come out of the box vs. being lubed with the Lee liquid alox - 10 or 12 shot groups fired over a good pistol rest at 25 yards on windless days. Handguns were a recent production Smith Model 67 with a Burris Fastfire III and a Colt Officer's Model Match with the original Accro sight.

In each trial with both revolvers the out of the box bullets shot smaller groups, so I'll just load'em and shoot'em.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I use dilute ALOX and after about an hour dust it with a 75/25 motor mica/graphite mix. Works fine.

Those are pretty bullets. I dint think I'm getting my alloy clean enough because a lot of my bullets look cloudy and have spots and some pits on them. It's very superficial and they look great after powder coating but I never get that perfect shinny clean look. I think I'm not fluxing enough.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those bullets have a 40:1 tin mix, and a couple pounds of wheel weights mixed with 18 pounds of pure lead. Casting temp is 750*.

They shoot ok.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 07/01/23.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Those bullets have a 40:1 tin mix, and a couple pounds of wheel weights mixed with 18 pounds of pure lead. Casting temp is 750*.

They shoot ok.

100 yard groups? memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Show off!!!!! Try as I do no way I can make bullets as perfect and aesthetically pleasing. And the results….. damn man!!! Alway like seeing your results. Someday maybe I’ll get there.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I enjoy DDan's posts re cast bullets, and other topics. Judging from his posts, he has the process down. I'd like to see pics of the final result after dusting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Target was shot at 50 yards as I recall.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
👍 Thanks, just collecting data points! It’s always good to determine what my expectations, dreams, aspirations should be! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Gorgeous boolits.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Shop for ultra gine hexagonal boron nitride. It’s the same as “MotorMica”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You sure about that?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never had any problems with the cast bullets
I've Lee aloxed.
Always did it just like the Modern Reloading
book said

I use a plastic bowl and do 10-12 at a time with
just a small bit of the alox. Swirl em around
slowly until they're all coated and let em dry
completely on a sheet of wax paper.
Mostly done the R.E.A.L. muzzleloader bullets,
but a good many for 38/357- 44mag SWC cast
too. Nary a problem ( so far)
Might be too slow of a process for some

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.