Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OK.. seems like carbon steel is the choice.

Lets pick my pattern.

My grandfather carried a stockman, but I'm will in to look at other patterns.

Backgound.. Work in the city in a technical office, but hunt & fish & camp, and own a farm (rent it out) that I do stuff at.
Current EDC is a spyderco delica that I use the clip as a money clip.
Second favorite is a leatherman wave,
third carry (when Spyderco isn't there) is a Swiss army knife Cadet (super thin) or Pioneer (relativley thin)

Designs catching my eye are medium stockman, sodbuster jr., and because many people like them here.. Mini trapper.
I don't want a large knife.

Any other patterns to consider that don't get too heavy or bulky in the pocket?
Which would you pick from the above based on my current EDC and stated choices.

Go.

Edit: I remembered one time I was in the shop and I pulled out my shiny new buck 301 large stockman and my grandpa said "what kind of a broad axe do you carry??"...
So I assume he carried a meduim stockman and knew better than to carry excessive big knives. (still have buck)

Last edited by humdinger; 05/17/23.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just look up Case tested on Ebay and go from there.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Half Whittler is small ,you may like that

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Slimline trapper is my favorite. It's a little longer than some but light and thin. I like the bare head models best.

2 blade texas jack is another good one

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Copperhead is a useful pattern also.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Full size trapper, stainless sure is nice to not have to worry about sweat rusting it up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have several Case pocket knives in both carbon and stainless steel. I prefer the stainless for the low maintenance myself and like the mini copper lock when a small and slim pocket knife is called for.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have carried the Trapper model since I was 15. Have had several, but a useful design for the hunter and fisherman.

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you're thinking about a sodbuster, they're affordable
enough that you can buy 2 and have one in reserve.
I have the pattern in several different manufacturers.
Case, Eye brand, Boker, etc.
It's a useful shape
Good Luck choosing

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have carried the Trapper model since I was 15. Have had several, but a useful design for the hunter and fisherman.

Yes
Yes it is

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Copperhead is a useful pattern also.

Yes
Yes it is

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dude270
. . . 2 blade texas jack is another good one

Yes
Yes it is

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Yes
Yes it is
A Ka-Bar trapper was my first "hunting knife" and the only one I had for several years. Dressed a lot of game and skinned a lot of furbearers with that knife. I have several in my collection today.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm with Dude270, although the "bare head) versions are slightly less sturdy than the conventional "capped" ones. Easy to sharpen and can do a whole range of tasks. Perfect folding fisherman's blade.

Bright yellow scales are easy to find if you drop it in the grass and don't terrify "old ladies of all genders" as much as black composition or other dark materials can. (I live in SoCal, so I know all about this "knife psychology" stuff....funny how so many other people always need a knife but then judge/stereotype anybody who actually carries one).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mesa
I'm with Dude270, although the "bare head) versions are slightly less sturdy than the conventional "capped" ones. Easy to sharpen and can do a whole range of tasks. Perfect folding fisherman's blade.

Bright yellow scales are easy to find if you drop it in the grass and don't terrify "old ladies of all genders" as much as black composition or other dark materials can. (I live in SoCal, so I know all about this "knife psychology" stuff....funny how so many other people always need a knife but then judge/stereotype anybody who actually carries one).

I'm likeing the yellow scales too. not as obnoxuios as the orange, but still visible. Wouldn't turn down orange though.

I looked at the case site last night and not as much choice as I expected.

Saw the thin line trapper and reallized I own one in Schrade USA made that I inherited. Woud be a nice fishing blade if you keep the carbon rust free.

Keep the ideas coming in. Still on the wall, but the sodbuster JR always catches my eyes when I see it in farm stores. A touch thick, but may be good for future arthritic hands.

Last edited by humdinger; 05/18/23.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There has been a medium stockman in my pocket daily for 35 years. Meets my needs.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 300_savage
There has been a medium stockman in my pocker daily for 35 years. Meets my needs.

Another prime contender.

I'm looking at the meduims and not sure why one has a main muscrat blade and the other version has the maine clip point.

I lean towards clip point for the abuse factor.

Last edited by humdinger; 05/18/23.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have used both versions. No clear favorite. I keep the little blades sharp for fine use, the bigger blade gets some abuse.....digging for germinated seed, cutting rope,, baler twine, etc. No, I don't use it for a screwdriver! Touch up the big blade often.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dinger the sodbuster jr is good with arth. hands I use the jr on deer & small game and the reg. on fat hogs since I was in my low teens . its lite weight is nice

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a sod buster and don't care for the blade shape. I often find I need a fine point on a pocket knife and the sod buster just doesn't cut it so it sits in the drawer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.