Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm looking at different powder dispensers that will throw an accurate charge (hopefully to +/- 0.1 grain or better). I was looking at a Frankfort Arsenal Intellidropper on Amazon and I was wondering how it would work with extruded powders (like IMR 4064). What other options do I have that would work with extruded powders and are other 300 bucks or so? Thank you.

“To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Steve Prefontaine

Matthew 25:31-46
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use a lyman Gen 6 and have been happy with it. Almost all of the powders I use are extruded. I double check about every 8-10 charges with a balance scale and normally both agree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS Chargemaster Link $299 most everywhere.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I use a lyman Gen 6 and have been happy with it. Almost all of the powders I use are extruded. I double check about every 8-10 charges with a balance scale and normally both agree.
I got one too. It’s great most of the time. I’ve sent it in three times for repairs. Make sure if you buy one of these keep your sales receipt. There’s no warranty w/o a receipt.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been using the RCBS version. The only issue I ever experienced with erratic reading was due to static electricity. I was instructed to wipe the unit down with a Bounce clothes dryer sheet. Problem solved. No problems with extruded powder.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I got one too. It’s great most of the time. I’ve sent it in three times for repairs. Make sure if you buy one of these keep your sales receipt. There’s no warranty w/o a receipt.

That gives me warm fuzzy feelings. You guys can keep using those POS.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I have had a Lyman DPS IIIfor years and have gotten good service from it. On two occasions (not while in use) a nearby lightning strike caused it appear dead. I was thinking that it was a goner but I thought to unplug it for a minute or so. That worked both times. If I had to buy another, I wouldn’t hesitate.

I almost always use the “auto repeat” function so after a charge is dispensed I pour it into the case and as soon as the pan is replaced the machine starts throwing the next charge. I glance into the case to check the powder level and seat the bullet. Depending on the weight of the charge it’s either done or nearly so, ready to go in another case.

Last edited by navlav8r; 05/17/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IMR-4064 meters like broken sticks.

I throw 0.1-0.2 gr short on my RCBS Chargemaster, and trickle the extra 4-6 kernels.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If my Lyman throws a charge that’s a little light, I just gently tap the feed tube to drop a few kernels into the pan.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This will po a bunch of people I guess. I bought one years ago. It would not hold zero, took way to long to dispense, and was not all that accurate. It did not take me long to discover that it was no faster than using a powder drop and scale considering the time to set up, wait for dispense, and clean the thing out. I'm happily living in the dark ages with much less frustration. Sothlice.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle - the less complicated the better. A quality powder measure (Harrell's in my case) and an RCBS 10-10 scale (with a set of check weights to periodically test accuracy - superfluous over 30 years of use) serves my needs. The rig isn't any cheaper than a fancy-schmancy electronic rig, but it soothes my Luddite soul to know that there's little that can go wrong.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 2 chargemaster, the first one the scale stopped working but it was under warranty so RCBS replaced it. The replacement they sent me work for a little over a year, just enough to be out of warranty before the dispenser stopped working. I packaged it up in it's original box, placed it on a shelve out of the way, broke out the uniflow dispenser and the balance beam scale and never looked back.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a Lyman DPS several years ago, it was an absolute PITA to use....erratic drops, inaccurate, and just overall worthless. Sent it back to Lyman, and avoided auto dispensers for a while. Picked up a PACT a few years ago, and it was completely opposite of the Lyman. I haven't used it in a while, but I have a lot more confidence with the PACT.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My RCBS was the original unit bought when they first came out. Its still going strong. However, it is nothing compared to my Supertrickler.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just started messing with a Supertrickler, and it is nif-ty!

There’s still a long way to go before I am ready to come to any conclusions, but first impressions ... yowza!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr
RCBS Chargemaster Link $299 most everywhere.
I’ve been very happy with mine. I’ve had a few overthrows, but still 97% less than the Hornady Lock N Load one I had. Even with all of the tricks, changes settings, the Hornady still over threw quite often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle - the less complicated the better. A quality powder measure (Harrell's in my case) and an RCBS 10-10 scale (with a set of check weights to periodically test accuracy - superfluous over 30 years of use) serves my needs. The rig isn't any cheaper than a fancy-schmancy electronic rig, but it soothes my Luddite soul to know that there's little that can go wrong.

Bingo

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bighunter7x57
I'm looking at different powder dispensers that will throw an accurate charge (hopefully to +/- 0.1 grain or better). I was looking at a Frankfort Arsenal Intellidropper on Amazon and I was wondering how it would work with extruded powders (like IMR 4064). What other options do I have that would work with extruded powders and are other 300 bucks or so? Thank you.

Are you doing some long range target shooting?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.