Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting info here. No more natural aspiration for your Taco. I figured that was coming.

2024 Tacoma : Motor Trend

Plus side is the extra 50lbs of torque over the existing 3.5L V6 and I bet it peaks at a lower RPM as well. Turbo is the way everything gas seems to be headed.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thank the EPA. I bet it is a beefy setup but it still puts unecessary heat,wear and tear on an engine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Off road model is a hybrid...

Oh, the horror!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dutch
Off road model is a hybrid...

Oh, the horror!

SO that thing will be mid to high 50's or 60k .

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I never thought I'd say it, but I've become somewhat of a fan of turbo engines in recent years. Have only had two, but both put down the low to mid-range power that the larger displacement, natural aspirated engine options could not make. Fuel economy was a fair bit better too. Time will tell on durability, I suppose.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
I never thought I'd say it, but I've become somewhat of a fan of turbo engines in recent years. Have only had two, but both put down the low to mid-range power that the larger displacement, natural aspirated engine options could not make. Fuel economy was a fair bit better too. Time will tell on durability, I suppose.

I had a F150 2016 ecoboost and loved it as well.

There is no question that the engine will not be as durable. These new engines are stressed to the max, low ring tension, turbos.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As I'm really not knowledgeable here, why is it that longevity is generally not the issue in turbo diesel engines, but is a sore spot with turbo gas engines? Is the inherent heavy-duty nature of modern diesel engine construction that decreases potential for problems when they are given force induction? Is boost lower? Folks expect 350k miles out of a turbo diesel engine but are often gun-shy about 250k on a turbo gasser.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As I'm really not knowledgeable here, why is it that longevity is generally not the issue in turbo diesel engines, but is a sore spot with turbo gas engines? Is the inherent heavy-duty nature of modern diesel engine construction that decreases potential for problems when they are given force induction? Is boost lower? Folks expect 350k miles out of a turbo diesel engine but are often gun-shy about 250k on a turbo gasser.

Engine is built heavier , does not have low drag rings , has a much larger then normal oil reservoir, most of the components are gear driven . Supposedly the ignition on a diesel(compression) accounts for less wear than a regular spark ignition. I am not sure if todays diesels are turbo or super charged.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I wish they would allow the importation of Toyota diesel trucks. There would be one in my driveway even if the price bordered on ridiculous.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I wish they would allow the importation of Toyota diesel trucks. There would be one in my driveway even if the price bordered on ridiculous.
The would have em so plugged up due to emissions they wouldn't be comparable to what is offered in other countries.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
The would have em so plugged up due to emissions they wouldn't be comparable to what is offered in other countries.

You are right on the money about that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Even w/ULSD diesel, diesel fuel has a LOT more lubricity than gasoline.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

There is no question that the engine will not be as durable. These new engines are stressed to the max, low ring tension, turbos.

Rubbish.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
...why is it that longevity is generally not the issue in turbo diesel engines, but is a sore spot with turbo gas engines?

There is no difference. A properly built turbo gas engine is capable of just as much longevity as a normally aspirated one. These people are substituting their opinions and biases as fact.

It's being built by Toyota, it'll last.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EdM

Rubbish.

Ok we shall see

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
...why is it that longevity is generally not the issue in turbo diesel engines, but is a sore spot with turbo gas engines?

There is no difference. A properly built turbo gas engine is capable of just as much longevity as a normally aspirated one. These people are substituting their opinions and biases as fact.

Last longer then another competing V6 most likely, but a turbo will not last as long as a normally aspirated motor anywhere especially compared to a Toyota motor. Are you that stupid that you think it will have the equal life of a turbo diesel? LMFAO

I am going out on a limb and say that I have owned way more Toyota vehicles then you have had, so there is no bias towards toyota.

You guys need to stop drinking before you post.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I had the Ford with the turbo. Gas mileage was Blah.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by trails_end
I had the Ford with the turbo. Gas mileage was Blah.

Mine got really good gas mileage and ran like a scalded cat , I got a good 6500 miles out of before it had issues. My Truck was dropped off at the Dealership in November 2016 and I finally got the buyback in April of 2017. They spent a month and 1/2 diagnosing a vacuum line issue that caused the 4wd to try to engage while I was driving which ground the crap out of the hubs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Folks expect 350k miles out of a turbo diesel engine but are often gun-shy about 250k on a turbo gasser.

Not me.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I hope so, bought a 2021 Taco.
Not excited about the amount of electronics. guess I was aware when I bought it. Lately the lane departure alert comes on for new reason.
Have had other thing's come up. I bought a Toyota figuring it could be my last truck and last for long tine. Engine might make it, but the over the top electronics is a concern

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.