Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
3" targets at 500 would be great shooting for me honestly.

I'd give it a run with my CTR 223 if I had the chance as well. That rifle just plain makes some stuff easy.
Same here; that's .6MOA & on a good day 1 MOA or maybe a little better is about all I can consistently do.

Add a cross wind & 3" at 500 sure is not a gimme.

My point in my comment was that a round with almost half the wind drift as another is a plus, pure accuracy aside.

But the 6 ARC has some issues too, being sensitive to pressure is one of them & why I don't have one yet.

But it was on the OP's list............

MM

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The greater the deflection per MPH of wind the slower cartridges have to live with means the error in guessing wind speed is magnified. The trouble being faster cartridges heat barrels up quicker. My 308 load will be deflected 1.85" per mph of wind. Does not take much of an error to miss even the 8" target. 5 mph.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by beretzs
3" targets at 500 would be great shooting for me honestly.

I'd give it a run with my CTR 223 if I had the chance as well. That rifle just plain makes some stuff easy.
Same here; that's .6MOA & on a good day 1 MOA or maybe a little better is about all I can consistently do.

Add a cross wind & 3" at 500 sure is not a gimme.

My point in my comment was that a round with almost half the wind drift as another is a plus, pure accuracy aside.

But the 6 ARC has some issues too, being sensitive to pressure is one of them & why I don't have one yet.

But it was on the OP's list............

MM

I always appreciate your honesty. I know some of you guys shoot really well and have more experience with the little 6 ARC. I know there have been threads on them here too, but were they really shooting that good? I also believe 79s gave up on the couple he was messing with because they were too finicky. Anything that is finicky is going to give you fits past 400 yards. I saw that with some of the slower 6mm's, like the WOA and more recently a 6x45 I messed with for almost a year. Fun little cartridges, but from my experience a fast twist 223 running 77's or even 69's work better when consistency matters. The reason I was thinking of beretzs with his little CTR.

I'm hoping the OP lets us know which one works best for him at 500 yards. It also sounds like he's decided to use his 308w. A great option for sure. I have a lot of respect for the 308w, as it has a good reputation for fine accuracy.

OP, keep us posted on how it works out for you. I also agree about your assessment of the wind. Hopefully you will be using a good high bc pill in your 308 that shoots sub moa for 10 shots. Also, you keep bringing up heat on the barrel. A good barrel will keep those bullets inside 1 moa or less even when it's hot. Correction, I should add that a properly glass bedded rifle with a good barrel and good load should keep them inside 3/4 moa (again that's 10 shots). Barrel heat would be the least of my concerns. A lot of guys make too much of that. If you have a rifle that is stringing them that badly when it heats up, you have a mechanical issue.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Getting ready to go outside right now and practice shooting ten in 4 minutes at 200 yards and use JBM's chart for a rough 500 yard sight in with the listed 20.2 inches high at that distance. Better get to loading and get the chrony out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find this schit fascinatingly HILARIOUS! Though poor poor(literally) Beezer,is still trying to get the good stuff in her 6x45 upper. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In "fairness",I reckon I don't shoot much over a dozen .243" bore chamberings,with the 243 Grendel WELL represented in halfa dozen or so rifles(Turnbolts and Krunchentickers). That being said,I've yet to see any of 'em "pressure sensitive",no matter the platform. Further,I'd state the 270's whistling 105/8/12's are fhuqking AMAZINGLY consistent. Hint.

HOPEFULLY Rickety will dangle a pic,of said piece of fhuqking schit. HINT.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you gals guess and Google from the sidelines. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Said POS? Funny I took your advice and put together a Remington 700, Triggertech trigger, 10 power SWFA SS. I have three shouldered prefits for it, two 260 Remington and one 308 barrel. A picture?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Beyond that I got it sighted in using 45.0 grains of BLC2, 168 gr. BTHP popped with a Federal large rifle primer, velocity 2670 fps. I should be on the paper at least at 500 yards. We are having a lot of rain last week and this week so no point in fighting the mud to set up a target at 500 yards out there. The corn might be too high anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

No need to extoll that you've ZERO inkling to The Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You almost understand ring height and ring spread. ALMOST. The MOA/MOA glass is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

NO fhuqking "wonder" you NEED to steal avatars. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rickety,

No need to extoll that you've ZERO inkling to The Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You almost understand ring height and ring spread. ALMOST. The MOA/MOA glass is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

Hint.

Well I ordered that scope when all they had in stock were the MOA versions. The last two ordered are the correct Mil-Quad variety. Yes I have to agree with you that the Mil-Quads are a far better reticle design. I thought about moving the front ring forward one more but since it was shooting satisfactorily and eye relief works for me I left it alone, not as picky as you are. Getting back to the reloading bench.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rickety,

Hint.

Hell I would have found another already but though that is not an avatar it seems to annoy you and that is good enough for me.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

Your keyboard is slurring,as you "justify" your being a Thieving Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go put some rounds down range Stick, sitting on your couch taking pictures of your floor makes you look like your ragged out old hat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
Said POS? Funny I took your advice and put together a Remington 700, Triggertech trigger, 10 power SWFA SS. I have three shouldered prefits for it, two 260 Remington and one 308 barrel. A picture?

Looking damn good. Just keep in mind that it being off zero that much, you won't be on a 5" target at 500 yards. Of course you already know that. That's not even considering the wind.

Stick's a good "rock" shooter, but he's like some of these guys and have no clue what it's like hitting a 3" target at 500 yards consistently..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just sayin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
As for the wind looks like I am going to be trying to train my Grandson to spot for me. I hammered out a couple of 10 shot groups in the allotted 4 minutes single loading. No problem from the bench. The second set with a sight correction was still under two inches. Of course the wind was very light and coming from behind. If the rain doesn't stop me I will hammer out 4 sets of 10 in 4 minutes tomorrow and get Drake into the fundamentals of how I like to be spotted for. Be nice if the wind picked up a bit. Oh yeah tomorrow is Mothers day.........bet I can still get away with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Do NOTHING Kchunts would need a coupla co-signers,just to keep pace with the primers. Hint.

At least you gals can "afford" to "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The MOA/MOA glass is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!
Can't figure out MOA. LOL! Can't say I'm surprised. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

It's no wonder that Fug Stick hasn't competed in a single match in his life, much less won one.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
As for the wind looks like I am going to be trying to train my Grandson to spot for me. I hammered out a couple of 10 shot groups in the allotted 4 minutes single loading. No problem from the bench. The second set with a sight correction was still under two inches. Of course the wind was very light and coming from behind. If the rain doesn't stop me I will hammer out 4 sets of 10 in 4 minutes tomorrow and get Drake into the fundamentals of how I like to be spotted for. Be nice if the wind picked up a bit. Oh yeah tomorrow is Mothers day.........bet I can still get away with it.

Rick, you still shooting 200 yards, or did you manage to get to the 500 yard spot?? I had to fix the bench on one of my 1,000 yard shooting spots today:

The 1,000 yard target:

This is what they looked like yesterday. 750, 850 and 1,000 yard plates. The 1,000 yarder needed to be fixed:

Some needed new posts, so I fixed them today.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick, when you get a chance to get out to your 500 yard area, post up your results. I went out yesterday, with the girlfriend, and shot out to 1,000. Set my paper F class repair center out at 600 yards and fired these 5 shots with the CTR 6.5.

Wind wasn't horrible, but I wanted to tag the 1,000 yard steel plate, as conditions were good, and moved off the 600 yard target pretty quickly. I wanted to put it at the 500 yard plate, but screwed up and set it at 600 instead!! Had that been a 3" target, I would have only made 2 hits. I'm curious to see how your rifles are doing, and which one you decide to use. 308 win is a great choice, but like I said before, the 6.5 will walk all over it. Even at 400 yards, if the wind is an issue..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.