Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Thanks for the input and I've heard the same about Europeans hunting here.

I like my PH, but today he was kinda complaining about filling up his truck and hating to spend money he didn't have. I asked/stated to him "Aren't you reimbursed for fuel/mileage"

His response was "Yes"

Is your PH 12 years old?

Unbelievable. His days as a PH are numbered and they are low double digits I would imagine.

The uber rich hunting Africa have made tipping expectations unrealistic anymore.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Thanks for the input and I've heard the same about Europeans hunting here.

I like my PH, but today he was kinda complaining about filling up his truck and hating to spend money he didn't have. I asked/stated to him "Aren't you reimbursed for fuel/mileage"

His response was "Yes"

Is your PH 12 years old?

Unbelievable. His days as a PH are numbered and they are low double digits I would imagine.

The uber rich hunting Africa have made tipping expectations unrealistic anymore.

And they would be very quick to point out that if others can't afford that level of tip they should just stay home.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Always ask, always. They money is important and if you ask the outfitter they know the whole show, forwards and backwards. It is their business to know, how much, when, who, cash or check, type of funds, etc. Taxes or fees, know everything and write it down all before you walk out the door at home.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This tipping guide is a good guide to tipping.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tipping-guide.14381/

Last edited by AB2506; 05/28/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AB2506
This tipping guide is a good guide to tipping.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tipping-guide.14381/

From his article - "The reason is simple, P.H.'s, trackers and camp staff derive much of their income from the tips they receive which creates the incentive for them to perform at their highest level for each and every client."

This is the problem with the tipping issue. Employees should always perform at their highest level because they were employed to do exactly that regardless of tipping. If they aren't performing at the highest level, they should be replaced with the thousands of other potential employees that are interested at performing at their highest level.

Pretty much everything else he says does not apply to any other hunter outside of the US. You're not going to convince a German hunter he must tip. You may find an English hunter that may tip but only for the PH and not the staff. So once again, the US hunter is "special" when it comes to tipping.

No one should feel compelled to tip.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
20 years ago I was hunting in Mozambique. One of the PH’ in camp was bitching around the campfire that his next clients were from Germany. He knew there was no tip forthcoming. It was a 2:1 hunt and one of the hunters was damn near blind. He repeatedly pointed out animals to the blind guy who simply couldn’t see them, often as close as 20-25 yards. Drove them both nuts. Trust me, Americans are the cash cows, expected to make up for the European/Australian/ New Zealand shortfalls. Ridiculous…..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of the biggest scams in the African hunting industry is when we switched from paying in Rands to US dollars and the other is milking US hunters for tips to pay operating costs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tips are optional, last time I checked.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider

They should be, but I heard the word "Tip" way too often this last trip, which similar to someone else's experience that was posted in another thread and on here, really dampened the overall trip experience.

Not a matter of being able to afford something or not, its not something that should ever be brought up unless asked about.

I'm sick of the little pay here Kiosks at restaurants, the fast food joints, etc. that all ask for a tip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

You haven't checked the 'fire.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad

You haven't checked the 'fire.

Ha, you're right. Many of the tips around here are worth what you pay for them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

They should be, but I heard the word "Tip" way too often this last trip, which similar to someone else's experience that was posted in another thread and on here, really dampened the overall trip experience.

Not a matter of being able to afford something or not, its not something that should ever be brought up unless asked about.

I'm sick of the little pay here Kiosks at restaurants, the fast food joints, etc. that all ask for a tip.

Hunt with a different outfitter then. I've hunted with Kowas Safaris in Namibia 3 times and haven't heard it from them once. They do such a stellar job I' more than happy to though, but they dont' ask or beg for it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Hunt with a different outfitter then. I've hunted with Kowas Safaris in Namibia 3 times and haven't heard it from them once. They do such a stellar job I' more than happy to though, but they dont' ask or beg for it.

My experience with who I hunted with in SA (two different some years apart), Namibia and Zimbabwe. Tips were never mentioned except in Zim where the request came from my PH that if I felt tips were due give them directly to the employees.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two of the biggest scams in the African hunting industry is when we switched from paying in Rands to US dollars and the other is milking US hunters for tips to pay operating costs.

Well said.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Right now, with the rand at 19.75 to the dollar, we are really getting hosed….

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
my last trip it was before we left is that you tip what ever you want to, no amount suggestions.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
One aspect of tipping I don’t see addressed is a situation where the PH is also the Outfitter/ Land owner. I’ve hunted six times with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris in Namibia. Jan does all his own tracking and his skinners are primarily his regular ranch workers. His cook is his wonderful wife Mariesje and I give her a generous cash tip. I give the skinners tips through Jan as well as the housekeeping staff. I try to give Jan the equivalent of 8% +\-
of the total cost of my hunt (daily rate of $3500 plus trophy fees). Jan knows I’m a 76 year old retiree living on a fixed income and that I sold a bunch of fine rifles to finance my last hunt with him in August 2022.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In 2016 I went on a 6 day 5 animal hunt that was $4350. I killed all my animals, food was good but not 5 star. I left the PH $500, cook $100, skinner driver $50 ( I wanted to leave $100 but owner said that was too much plus he hit a tree driving when I was in the high rack) and the laundry woman $50 even though I got the wrong socks and underwear everyday, she wasn’t happy when I let her know about it! Everyone seems happy, the laundry woman was shocked!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just returned yesterday from my third trip to South Africa.

Here are the outfitters suggested guidelines:

Per hunting group (shared by the members in your hunting party):
Cook- $100
Cook 2- $100
Cooks Assistant- $50
Laundry Lady- $50
Housekeeper- $50

Per individual Hunter in the group:
Tracker- $100
Driver/skinner- $100
Skinner- $15 per animal
Professional Hunter: at your discretion (typically $75- $100 per day)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geeeez.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.