-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool. I guess my 1953 Marlin is worth close to a million now.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the prices have peaked and are now declining.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Green Top Hunt and Fish in Richmond, Va had them on the shelf for $1,229.99. I have to say, it was the nicest looking Marlin I've seen to date, regardless of manufacturer. The lever was zip-tied closed so I didn't work it. But wood to metal fit was impeccable. Metal was polished smooth. Overall fit and finish was superb.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm waiting for them to make one in 44 mag and if it's around the $1200 mark +/-, I'll gladly own one of the new rugers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
When Ruger brought out the 1895 Trapper some of the first dealers to get them hawked them on Gunbroker and folks paid way over MSRP for them. I happened upon one at a Bass Pro store at just under MSRP and, with some points, gift cards (plus another 5% off 'cuz I was patient), it was a pretty easy buy. It's hoot with a suppressor and subsonic loads! If they put out a 336 in .35 or a 94 .44 in Trapper configuration (16" threaded bbl), I'll be all over it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I wonder why Ruger doesn’t use investment castings for the Marlin. They’ve are capable of some pretty complicated castings. And that process reportedly is as strong if not stronger and less expansive than mill work, although castings still need some CNC work.

Just curious. I’m sure they have their reasons.

DF

I'ld guess part is aesthetics. IC doesn't hold bluing like forged steel. You can buy it, bring it home, stick it in a safe, come back in 20 years and it will come out plum.
I'ld love to know the reason behind that!

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think the working class is buying Ruger Americans, Mossberg Patriots, and whatever they call the cheap Savages, and mounting Vortex scopes (at best) on them. We’ll see if the market supports the Ruger notion of what lever-guys want. The 1895s sure seem to be a success, based the prices they brought at first. No idea if that’s still “normal”.

At $1200 they won’t be buying Marlins. The way to reduce costs of the new machinery is to sell lots of rifles. Each rifle they sell helps to dilute the cost of that new machinery. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t improve the rifle and get what they need to be profitable, but I think Ruger screwed up by taking what used to be an affordable utilitarian rifle and turned it into a rifle for loonies. It’s going to be hard for the typical hunter who remembers Marlins costing $300-400 just a few years ago to justify spending 3-4x that much on a new Marlin.
Been a good while since a blued/walnut Marlin was priced at $300-400, NIB.

I remember when a blued/walnut BDL was about $500, now probably knocking on a grand?? They will sell.

A lot of stuff out there now is double what it used to be.
Marlin 336C's were traditionally much cheaper than a Remington 700 BDL. Back in 1962 when the Remington 700 was introduced, the 700 BDL had a suggested retail of 139.95 in standard calibers and 154.95 in magnum calibers while suggested retail for a Marlin 336C was 86.95.

Your quoting 50 year old prices? WTH does that have to do with any part of todays world?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I think the working class is buying Ruger Americans, Mossberg Patriots, and whatever they call the cheap Savages, and mounting Vortex scopes (at best) on them. We’ll see if the market supports the Ruger notion of what lever-guys want. The 1895s sure seem to be a success, based the prices they brought at first. No idea if that’s still “normal”.

At $1200 they won’t be buying Marlins. The way to reduce costs of the new machinery is to sell lots of rifles. Each rifle they sell helps to dilute the cost of that new machinery. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t improve the rifle and get what they need to be profitable, but I think Ruger screwed up by taking what used to be an affordable utilitarian rifle and turned it into a rifle for loonies. It’s going to be hard for the typical hunter who remembers Marlins costing $300-400 just a few years ago to justify spending 3-4x that much on a new Marlin.

I remember when a blued/walnut BDL was about $500, now probably knocking on a grand?? They will sell.

Marlin 336C's were traditionally much cheaper than a Remington 700 BDL. Back in 1962 when the Remington 700 was introduced, the 700 BDL had a suggested retail of 139.95 in standard calibers and 154.95 in magnum calibers while suggested retail for a Marlin 336C was 86.95.

Your quoting 50 year old prices? WTH does that have to do with any part of todays world?
If you can't see the point you sure as hell aren't very bright. I just don't have the time or patience to deal with internet dummies anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

If you can't see the point you sure as hell aren't very bright. I just don't have the time or patience to deal with internet dummies anymore.
I easily understood your point 🙂

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

557 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 60 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.