Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Have a new .308 barrel and bought several boxes of factory ammo to shoot through and then reload the brass. Some factory ammo was a little tight on close, but ejected ok, with no stiff bolt. But now, the same fired brass will not go back into chamber and hangs up at the web. It's going back to the gunsmith to be opened up a bit, but I'm curious... How can brass be fired in a chamber and eject smoothly, but then not be able to go back into the same chamber? It's like the brass statically stretched, after ejection. I understand this can happen with hot ammo and case stretch, but you feel that with a stiff bolt upon ejection. This stuff ejected pretty smooth. It's like it grew AFTER ejection. Help me wrap my mind around this.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe it didn’t stretch after ejection, but was held tightly by the chamber. Once out of the chamber it expanded. Think of a compressed spring.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
SDHNTR, index the brass, that is try and put it back in the same way it came out.....

Had a barrel chambered for a # 1 that caused me grief, when resizing the die would shave brass off the case. Further inspection revealed that the fired brass was noticeably
'bulged' on/to one side, when observed from the base, the case wall protruded out wider than the rim!?!?!? ......... don't know what happened, maybe the reamer 'got away'.......... IDK, I'm not a 'smith'.....

Guy made it right, to the tune of another Lilja barrel.........

Brass would go back in the way it came out, but not if you rotated it 180 degrees.....

Last edited by Muffin; 05/20/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Maybe it didn’t stretch after ejection, but was held tightly by the chamber. Once out of the chamber it expanded. Think of a compressed spring.

P
Yes, that's what makes sense and of course I know brass stretches. Just seems like a LOT of post ejection expansion.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 05/20/23.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Muffin
SDHNTR, index the brass, that is try and put it back in the same way it came out.....

Had a barrel chambered for a # 1 that caused me grief, when resizing the die would shave brass off the case. Further inspection revealed that the fired brass was noticeably
'bulged' on/to one side, when observed from the base, the case wall protruded out wider than the rim!?!?!? ......... don't know what happened, maybe the reamer 'got away'.......... IDK, I'm not a 'smith'.....

Guy made it right, to the tune of another Lilja barrel.........

Brass would go back in the way it came out, but not if you rotated it 180 degrees.....

It's back at the smith again being worked over. Nothing was noticeably out of round.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Common sense would indicate a warm or hot chamber would be bigger than a cold one.
Which leads me to my question, Why are earth would you try to rechamber an “empty” piece of brass?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Common sense would indicate a warm or hot chamber would be bigger than a cold one.
Which leads me to my question, Why are earth would you try to rechamber an “empty” piece of brass?

Troubleshooting. I knew the chamber was on the tight side, confirming it with spent brass that wouldn't go back in pushed it into the "too tight" category and a ride back to the gunsmith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a custom .17 Ackley Hornet that had this issue. It turned out there was a bulge on one side of the chamber. The ejected brass wasn't noticeable until it was measured. It ejected fine, but the brass being rechambered wasn't going back in the same orientation that it was ejected from and was thus too tight. Unfortunately, the brass was all trash after that. The gunsmith set it back and rechambered it for free, but I lost a little barrel length.

Last edited by drop_point; 05/20/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Muffin. If it’s a tight chamber slightly out of round the empty might not go in.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

SOP - I do this all the time. It tells me whether I'm good to neck size with the LCD or need to body size with the Redding.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it a Remington 700?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Run it through a standard FL size die, then check. If it chambers fine, don't rebore the chamber.
Second option is use a small base sizer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P
Yes, that's what makes sense and of course I know brass stretches. Just seems like a LOT of post ejection expansion.

have you thought about running some lighter loads thru it, less powder and even a lighter bullet?
That would not expand your brass as much and give you an idea of the chambers parameters.

Is their something work with the chamber, or are you loads on the hot side.

I see the variations in how much brass has expanded by picking up range pick up brass, people have abandoned and didn't even have the courtesy to clean their shooting area. But hey, I love em, because its free brass for me...

I tend not to try and get the last fps out of any of my loads...regardless of what caliber or bullet on it may be.

The life span of my brass's use is a fair number of shots...40 and 50 reloads is not uncommon. In a test of a batch of 10 Range pick up 223, courtesy of OSP, that test batch has been loaded 122 times at this point. Remington Brand brass, but that really doesn't matter. MV has been 2650 fps with 55 grain Bullets. Still good for being minute of sage rat to 250 yds.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you sized the brass, then you have made the cases longer because you haven’t sized the brass enough.
If you haven’t sized the brass, then you have one of 2 things happening, one is excessive headspace or you have primer cratering that hangs up the bolt because it never goes back in in the same orientation.

Cheers.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes sir, chamber a bit too tight

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a chamber that was not round. If the fired brass was clocked exactly as it came out of the chamber, no problem, but if it were out a fraction of a turn, it would not go back in the chamber.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’m sure this is a reloading issue, but, if your chamber is tight, it would NOT cause your brass to swell larger above the web. If it was short, but wider at the web, then this is your issue.

Cheers.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a chamber that was not round. If the fired brass was clocked exactly as it came out of the chamber, no problem, but if it were out a fraction of a turn, it would not go back in the chamber.

Exactly nailed it 💯% I had a Remington M-600 in 308 that if you necked sized only the brass had to be rotated until it was in the exact orientation that it was fired. Full length resizing cured the problem.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This was factory ammo folks.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mark the factory round to index at the top fire it and see if it fits chamber at index mark, then off the index mark if it does not, then chamber chamber is not round.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.