Print Thread
Hop To
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Does anyone have both a Pendleton and an MPI stock or compared the two? I'm considering getting one of these and it seems that they are comparable in weight, styles, and price. MPI offers a really, really lightweight stock (10-12 oz.) but I'm not interested in a super light stock, but more a traditional looking stock that is relatively lightweight around 20 ounces or so. I'm interested to hear about durability, ergonomics, etc. between the two brands.

I've called both stock companies and Wayne at Pendleton (Oregunsmithing) was quick to answer the phone and provide info. I've called MPI several times and left a voicemail but haven't heard back. I ended up calling Rick at Extreme Rifle Works and he was able to provide info on MPI stock and the inletting process and pricing.

At this point I'm leaning towards Pendleton, because it seems like the availability is better and might be a quicker turnaround. However, I'm open any and all insight. Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have owned both, but not at the same time. I like the lines of the MPI classic. The Pendleton I owned was on a Howa Mini and it was fine stock but I like the lines of the MPI classic better. In the past, there were criticisms of the build quality of some MPI stocks. I don't know about the current build quality. Have you also looked at Banser and Brown? I like their lines a lot too. The price on the MPI classic blank is pretty much unbeatable, so there is that.

Tarquin
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thank you for the feedback Tarquin. I had not considered Brown or Banser, but just reached out to both companies and hope to hear back soon.

Also, I heard back from MPI. I was quoted $900+ for the stock and inletting and was told they could try to have it completed by hunting season.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't own a MPI if they paid me $900, they are just across town from me and I've seen them at local sportsmans shows over the years and they just aren't anyone I'd want to do business with. Tarquin gave you two much better options - Brown being about as good as it gets and Bansner also being 1st class.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had Wayne at Pendleton make a classic stock for my Sako 85 Gray Wolf just last year. I hunted with it last year I am really happy with it.
If I need a new stock for any new gun build I will get it from them.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just visited MPI. Small shop. They're short handed because an employee was in a car wreck, so answering the phone might come at the expense of production. I was able to get through no problem...but I tend to call toward EOB. You might try emailing.

I got to see their molds and their inlet process. They've got patterns that not many other's produce any longer (I was there because of a Sako Finnwolf stock). Knowing a little about working with composites, they're using processes that are a bit dated, but they're still sound and work very well for rifles.

Having seen the pics with tongue depressors on the web, I've been a bit leery of MPI, but I do know they had a bad egg employee, and while I was there, I saw tons of molds, inlet blocks and fiberglass cloth, but not any tongue depressors. I do know that they take pride in their work, and I saw several stocks ready to ship and they were beautiful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a bunch of MPI stocks. Have never had an issue with any of them. Have had Rick @ Extreme Rifleworks fit and bed all of them.

Will be sending Rick another action next week for a new stock

Last edited by 338rcm; 05/20/23.
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I wouldn't own a MPI if they paid me $900, they are just across town from me and I've seen them at local sportsmans shows over the years and they just aren't anyone I'd want to do business with. Tarquin gave you two much better options - Brown being about as good as it gets and Bansner also being 1st class.

Thank you for the feedback. Can you elaborate on on why they aren’t anyone you’d want to deal with? Is it poor quality, bad customer service, shady dealings, etc.

Originally Posted by ranger1886
I had Wayne at Pendleton make a classic stock for my Sako 85 Gray Wolf just last year. I hunted with it last year I am really happy with it.

Good to hear. What model/style stock did you go with? Do you know what the finished weight turned out to be?

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I just visited MPI. I was there because of a Sako Finnwolf stock.

Having seen the pics with tongue depressors on the web, I've been a bit leery of MPI, but I do know they had a bad egg employee.

Thank you for the insight. We’re you there to pick up a stock for a Sako Finnwolf? If so, how do you like it?

Can you explain the tongue depressor thing? This is something I haven’t heard of or seen. What is this that you are referring to?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the insight. We’re you there to pick up a stock for a Sako Finnwolf? If so, how do you like it?

Can you explain the tongue depressor thing? This is something I haven’t heard of or seen. What is this that you are referring to?

I had a stock made for a Finnwolf, and I wasn't confident that I could bed it properly. I happened to be swinging through their neighborhood, so I arranged to visit and talk about having them bed the rifle. I didn't bring the stock and rifle with me because I was traveling for business and that would have added too much complexity to the trip. I liked what I saw enough to feel confident they'll do a good job, so I'll be shipping everything off to them shortly. It's a nice stock. The Finnwolf is a complex rifle and I'm a simple guy.

FYI, their website lists a stock price at $389. I believe that is a stock fresh out of the mold. You'd have to clean up flashing, fill pinholes, paint, mount sling studs and buttpad and bed. from there. I suspect that's where the $900 price comes into play.

The tongue depressor or popsicle stick story is based on a photo that was circulating supposedly of a sectioned MPI stock. I have a suspicion that it was a staged pic from a disgruntled associate. ...I mean who would section a stock down the middle essentially rendering it worthless? I'm even more inclined to believe the disgruntled associate story now that I've visited their production facility. FWIW, there's also the story of hamburger wrappers found used as filler in a Brown Precision stock. Again...I tend not to believe these stories.

FYI, their method of composite manufacture is "hand laid up" and I believe it's the same method that is industry standard; meaning McMillan, Brown, the original Bansners and most of the others still use.

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/20/23.
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thank you for the taking the time to add some more details and explain that to me. Much appreciated!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Loper

Thank you for the feedback. Can you elaborate on on why they aren’t anyone you’d want to deal with? Is it poor quality, bad customer service, shady dealings, etc.

Good to hear. What model/style stock did you go with? Do you know what the finished weight turned out to be?

Having seen the pics with tongue depressors on the web, I've been a bit leery of MPI, but I do know they had a bad egg employee.

Like I posted in my previous reply I would see them at our local sportsmans show every year. I'd always make a habit of stopping in to see if they had anything new in their display - nope the same stuff they have had the past 20+ years. Also the fellow that was always there who I believe is now gone from the company or maybe even has passed was not particularly interested in talking about his stocks, really poor CS which I guess was interesting since that was the reason for their booth was to promote there product?? Also, I realize they have moved but I used to drive by their "factory" on the way to go fishing. It more or less looked like a homeless camp, could never get past that and see how they could build a good product. I've also handled a number of their stocks and all of them IMHO are just a bit off. And for the price I've had great luck on the past with McMillan Edge stocks and also 1 Brown over the years and now Proof stocks. I realize for your inlet needs they might be an option but both Brown and Bansner are probably going to be a better choice and likely come in costing about the same price.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 05/21/23.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 338rcm
I have had a bunch of MPI stocks. Have never had an issue with any of them. Have had Rick @ Extreme Rifleworks fit and bed all of them.

Will be sending Rick another action next week for a new stock

I too have had Rick do a number of MPI stocks, I wanted lightweights for a Rugers so MPI was pretty much the only game in town. All the stocks have been perfectly fit and finished. I dont know how MPI ships them, but when Rick is done with them they are excellent. Their lightweights come out 21-22oz and are nice and stiff. I never tried one of their really light stocks ( the ones advertised at 12oz etc.) If you decide on MPI for pattern or weight, I would highly recommend Rick fitting and finishing.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My last Brown was nice but a lot of work to fill and finish

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would also recommend Rick at Extreme Rifle Works for a MPI stock install. He is a good communicator and his work is top notch. I had him install a set of stocks on a Marlin 1895 guide gun last fall and it was an enjoyable process. His pricing for the stock installed was better than MPI direct as well. Stock has been holding up just fine and enjoyable to hunt with. I will be using Rick and MPI more.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I would also recommend Rick at Extreme Rifle Works for a MPI stock install. He is a good communicator and his work is top notch. I had him install a set of stocks on a Marlin 1895 guide gun last fall and it was an enjoyable process. His pricing for the stock installed was better than MPI direct as well. Stock has been holding up just fine and enjoyable to hunt with. I will be using Rick and MPI more.

I actually reached out to Rick a couple of weeks ago as I had heard he was the guy to go to when it comes to inletting an MPI stock. When talking with Rick, he said that I would need to contact MPI and find out if and when I could get a stock from them as they are a bit behind in their proscription right now. He did quote me a slightly lower price than MPI directly, which surprised me.

Do you mind sharing some pictures of your Marlin’s stock?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Loper

I think an MPI classic blank is around $375.00, IIRC. If you're handy, you can finish it yourself, and actually, it's kind of fun. Same with Brown and Bansner. You can send it out for paint if you want, or do Zolatone Series 20 yourself with a Preval spray cartridge (Grey Stone is nice looking). You can get a recoil pad from Brownell's. If you buy a Bansner's, when you've done your bedding and such, you can send it back to Mark and he'll paint it for a reasonable fee. Mark Brown will do the same with his stocks. Lots of options.

Brown, MPI and Bansner blanks are very similar in fit and finish and external profile. Bansner does have the Miller profile, which is very nice. Bansner might be the smoothest exterior finish. I dunno---and they have improved their materials (they're now using carbon fiber) and I think they also upgraded their molds and inletting. I am working on a Brown blank right now and like it fine. For some reason I thought the newcomers (AG, Manners) and of course McMillan pretty much had the market captured, but I talked a Mark Brown 6 or 8 months ago and I can't recall the exact number, but I was astounded. IIRC, they are stocking several hundred rifles a year.

Last edited by Tarquin; 05/23/23.

Tarquin
L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I think an MPI classic blank is around $375.00, IIRC. If you're handy, you can finish it yourself, and actually, it's kind of fun. Same with Brown and Bansner. You can send it out for paint if you want, or do Zolatone Series 20 yourself with a Preval spray cartridge (Grey Stone is nice looking). You can get a recoil pad from Brownell's. If you buy a Bansner's, when you've done your bedding and such, you can send it back to Mark and he'll paint it for a reasonable fee. Mark Brown will do the same with his stocks. Lots of options.

Brown, MPI and Bansner blanks are very similar in fit and finish and external profile. Bansner does have the Miller profile, which is very nice. Bansner might be the smoothest exterior finish. I dunno---and they have improved their materials (they're now using carbon fiber) and I think they also upgraded their molds and inletting. I am working on a Brown blank right now and like it fine. For some reason I thought the newcomers (AG, Manners) and of course McMillan pretty much had the market captured, but I talked a Mark Brown 6 or 8 months ago and I can't recall the exact number, but I was astounded. IIRC, they are stocking several hundred rifles a year.

I like the idea of inletting a stock myself, but I don’t have the time for this type of project and would probably get annoyed after a while that it isn’t done. if I went with MPI I’d probably send it to Rick at Extreme Rifle Works.

Today I received a call back from Mark Brown at Brown Precision. He said it is a no-go on x-bolt stocks. He said that it costs about $30K to create a mold for a stock and there just isn’t enough demand to justify creating a mold for the x-bolt.

I haven’t heard back from Bansners yet. I’ll follow up with them tomorow, and see if I can get an answer on if they can do an x-bolt or not.

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I called Bansners back today and was able to talk to someone. They don’t have a mold for the x-bolt but said they can do a custom stock for about $2K. Granted that price is part of their a package (signature package I think he said) that also includes extras like cerakote.

Also, I called Wildcat Composites. They didn’t seem super excited to talk to me and just said no, we don’t have a mold for the x-bolt.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have both MPI and Pendleton (actually made by Wayne York before he started using the name Pendleton for his stocks.) They are both good stocks. I think the Pendleton is more nicely finished. If I were to buy another I would probably go with Pendleton.

L
Loper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I have both MPI and Pendleton (actually made by Wayne York before he started using the name Pendleton for his stocks.) They are both good stocks. I think the Pendleton is more nicely finished. If I were to buy another I would probably go with Pendleton.

I think you are the first person who has had both stocks. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.