Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For those out there that are liking the smaller AR10 platforms like the Ruger SFAR, it appears that PSA has bought DPMS and is bringing back the GII series of rifles, likely in .308 and 6.5CM. I'm glad to see it.

Video from recent NRA show. DPMS discussion starts around 3:12.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I finally got to handle one of those new rugers the other day, wow, huge difference from the standard ar10. I liked it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Seems like the ruger sfar is having a few problems. I had the DPMS for a while, the one I had damaged the ejected cases so they gave me my money back. I might try another one, other than the case issue it was fairly accurate and fired reliably.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I had the DPMS for a while, the one I had damaged the ejected cases so they gave me my money back. I might try another one, other than the case issue it was fairly accurate and fired reliably.

Was it one of the newer DPMS GII-series ARs, which are the subject of the OPs post.? I think those have corrected that brass-damaging problem.

“There is a larger ejection port and an improved shell deflector, so it won't beat up the brass as much. As a handloader, I am thankful for that. It's a tragic thing to have to throw brass into the trash because the rim is bent and distorted.”
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/2/6/review-dpms-gii-ar-308

“It is not unusual for .308 ARs to experience cycling failures with spotty feeding, cartridge extraction, and ejection. The GII tackles these problems as well. The bolt face has two plunger-style ejectors in it, which halves the stress on each of the plunger springs and also kicks the shells free in a more consistent fashion. According to Ballard, this is because each shell is subject to three points of contact (the two ejectors and the extractor) rather than the typical two points. I can’t verify that particular assertion, but I can report that the GII handled every type of ammo we put through it with zero issues or failures.” https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/gun-review-dpms-gii-hunter/

Those two articles convinced me to buy one a while back. Here is another excerpt about the design changes:

“The DPMS GII is a reimagined AR-10-size rifle with a number of innovations built in. Most noticeable of these is that the weight has been stripped from the platform. Empty, the GII (signifying the second generation of DPMS’s AR-10s) weighs 7 pounds 12 ounces. This is still about a pound more than a comparable bolt-action .308, but is a far cry from the first hunting AR I owned (a DPMS in .260), which tipped the scales at 8 pounds 12 ounces. Another way to look at it is, the GII weighs about the same as a .223-size AR-15. … The story behind the GII’s weight loss starts with the engineering that went into the internal components, specifically the bolt and bolt carrier. Adam Ballard, DPMS’s product manager, says they realized that they could make a bolt carrier with the same diameter as a .223 AR, while not compromising in any way the strength of the system. The GII is also built with a smaller receiver hub, which is the portion of the upper receiver that the barrel nut threads on to.”
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/gun-review-dpms-gii-hunter/

My .308 DPMS GII Hunter with the 20” bbl is the most accurate semi rifle I ever have shot. I can get 0.3” – 0.4” groups with Nosler-loaded 168gr ABLR bullets when I do my part. It never has failed to fire or cycle properly.

This guy found his similar:

“The GII Hunter I tested blew me away with its accuracy. I was primarily testing that rifle for our sister publication American Hunter and didn’t even plan to include it in this article, but the performance is too impressive to ignore. American Hunter uses three, three-shots groups with three different loads as a test protocol. With the Black Hills 168-gr. load, the first group measured 0.30”. That was the best, but the average of three groups was 0.47”. The average for all nine groups was 0.80”. From an out-of-the-box AR-L shooting factory ammunition, that is very impressive accuracy.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I had the DPMS for a while, the one I had damaged the ejected cases so they gave me my money back. I might try another one, other than the case issue it was fairly accurate and fired reliably.

Was it one of the newer DPMS GII-series ARs, which are the subject of the OPs post.? I think those have corrected that brass-damaging problem.

“There is a larger ejection port and an improved shell deflector, so it won't beat up the brass as much. As a handloader, I am thankful for that. It's a tragic thing to have to throw brass into the trash because the rim is bent and distorted.”

“It is not unusual for .308 ARs to experience cycling failures with spotty feeding, cartridge extraction, and ejection. The GII tackles these problems as well. The bolt face has two plunger-style ejectors in it, which halves the stress on each of the plunger springs and also kicks the shells free in a more consistent fashion. According to Ballard, this is because each shell is subject to three points of contact (the two ejectors and the extractor) rather than the typical two points. I can’t verify that particular assertion, but I can report that the GII handled every type of ammo we put through it with zero issues or failures.” https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/gun-review-dpms-gii-hunter/

Those two articles convinced me to buy one a while back. Here is another excerpt about the design changes:

“The DPMS GII is a reimagined AR-10-size rifle with a number of innovations built in. Most noticeable of these is that the weight has been stripped from the platform. Empty, the GII (signifying the second generation of DPMS’s AR-10s) weighs 7 pounds 12 ounces. This is still about a pound more than a comparable bolt-action .308, but is a far cry from the first hunting AR I owned (a DPMS in .260), which tipped the scales at 8 pounds 12 ounces. Another way to look at it is, the GII weighs about the same as a .223-size AR-15. … The story behind the GII’s weight loss starts with the engineering that went into the internal components, specifically the bolt and bolt carrier. Adam Ballard, DPMS’s product manager, says they realized that they could make a bolt carrier with the same diameter as a .223 AR, while not compromising in any way the strength of the system. The GII is also built with a smaller receiver hub, which is the portion of the upper receiver that the barrel nut threads on to.”
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/gun-review-dpms-gii-hunter/

My .308 DPMS GII Hunter with the 20” bbl is the most accurate semi rifle I ever have shot. I can get 0.3” – 0.4” groups with Nosler-loaded 168gr ABLR bullets when I do my part. It never has failed to fire or cycle properly.

This guy found his similar:

“The GII Hunter I tested blew me away with its accuracy. I was primarily testing that rifle for our sister publication American Hunter and didn’t even plan to include it in this article, but the performance is too impressive to ignore. American Hunter uses three, three-shots groups with three different loads as a test protocol. With the Black Hills 168-gr. load, the first group measured 0.30”. That was the best, but the average of three groups was 0.47”. The average for all nine groups was 0.80”. From an out-of-the-box AR-L shooting factory ammunition, that is very impressive accuracy.”

Whose barrels are they using on those guns?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Whose barrels are they using on those guns?

I don’t know. They just work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My GII Recon 16" works flawlessly and is MOA, glad they are bringing them back.

Good Shooting!
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Seems like the ruger sfar is having a few problems. I had the DPMS for a while, the one I had damaged the ejected cases so they gave me my money back. I might try another one, other than the case issue it was fairly accurate and fired reliably.

What problems? A quick search turned up one fellow needing to tighten the gas block - not exactly nuclear rocket science. Of course, being a newbie idiot, he posted on a bunch of forums - so the normal dillholes would repost the "problems" over and over.
So what are these problems?

Last edited by dla; 05/18/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Quote:

"The name AR-10, on the other hand, is trademarked by ArmaLite, and that company prefers it be used to describe only its guns."

Who told you the DPMS was an AR-10?

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who are you quoting? Who are you calling out?

edit: I see now...it's about the thread title.

Yes, you're correct in questioning the way we speak of the large frame ARs. I can see referring to them as "AR10s" as a matter of convenience even though that's just not technically correct. It's still not as bad as calling a magazine a "clip," though.

Or is it?

Last edited by RiverRider; 05/21/23.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 55 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,042
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.