Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
2007 Ridgeline. I bought this for my son who will officially have his license in about a month. Over the last few months just sit in our garage and we’ve drove it occasionally just to keep everything going in it.

It’s a super clean truck, but one thing I’ve noticed is it starts right up and I’ll drive it say to the grocery store and then when I come back out to start to go home it’ll always turn over three or four times would not start and I have to turn the key off and then turn it back on and then it starts right up. Does that sound like a starter, alternator, battery, or some other issue?

GB2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Maybe the fuel pump is starting to give up the ghost.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Never thought about fuel pump.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Look at the Alternator or Battery(especially) as being the cause of this. When you drive it does it accelerate well or does it stumble? I believe you would get a light if there was an issue with the fuel pump.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Look at the Alternator or Battery(especially) as being the cause of this. When you drive it does it accelerate well or does it stumble? I believe you would get a light if there was an issue with the fuel pump.

If it turns over, how could it be the battery or alternator ?

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Runs great, no stuttering or loss of power. Just has that issue on the turnover. And as I mentioned it funny cause it will set in the garage for a week, Ill go out and starts right up. I drive it somewhere, get back in and almost everytime it has the turnover issue and I have to turn key off then try again and it will start right up.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

If it turns over, how could it be the battery or alternator ?

I usually diagnose cars when I have them sitting in front of me . I am going by what he said . Alternator may not be charging correctly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Change the fuel filter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Change the fuel filter.

The one that is installed in the gas tank? That might be the solution.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Put a starter in it. Go to NAPA, not O'Reilly's or AutoZone.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The OP is only experiencing one of the 4 symptoms. The engine also did not throw a code. He needs to bring it to a guy that knows Hondas and not depend on an Internet forum to diagnose it.

I think your first guess was closer fuel pump. I also think the alternator and battery should be checked from the get go before digging deeper.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The OP is only experiencing one of the 4 symptoms. The engine also did not throw a code. He needs to bring it to a guy that knows Hondas and not depend on an Internet forum to diagnose it.

I think your first guess was closer fuel pump. I also think the alternator and battery should be checked from the get go before digging deeper.

I took it to a highly referred guy/small shop that specializes in Japanese vehicles for diagnosis. Hopefully should know more by next week.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It’ll be interesting to hear what your mechanic says.

FWIW, I once had a truck that started perfectly at cold starts, but would not start after the engine was warm. It turns out it was a bum fuel pressure regulator. The part wasn’t all that expensive, but the diagnosis was.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Fuel pump was bad....Shop wanted $1200 to replace it. I ordered a Delphi unit for $280 and will install myself next week when it arrives. Truck should be good to go for my son - hes excited - couple more weeks and he has his full time lisc.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
1200 sounds like a gouging . How much is the Honda OEM Part?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's how a lot of stupid shops are. They like ripping people off. Hairing is doing the right thing by changing it himself. As long as he knows what to expect by doing so, and has the tools. Something like this would have been easy to narrow down, if you hook a fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve on the fuel runner. If the fuel pump is not producing enough pressure at times, it will stick out like a sore thumb. Like you, I'd prefer to have a vehicle right in front of me to diagnose, but it also sounded like a fuel pump to me, as well. Now, lets just hope the "mechanic" diagnosed it properly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's how a lot of stupid shops are. They like ripping people off. Hairing is doing the right thing by changing it himself. As long as he knows what to expect by doing so, and has the tools. Something like this would have been easy to narrow down, if you hook a fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve on the fuel runner. If the fuel pump is not producing enough pressure at times, it will stick out like a sore thumb. Like you, I'd prefer to have a vehicle right in front of me to diagnose, but it also sounded like a fuel pump to me, as well. Now, lets just hope the "mechanic" diagnosed it properly.

400 Dollar part(OEM), 2-3 hours labor.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Friends drove their Honda SUV over here 2 days ago. It is still here because it quit on them before they got here. They coasted in (downhill) the rest of the way. They think it is not getting fuel either. So either the fuel pump or a line came loose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.