Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Alpha brass is probably tops but for the money the starline stuff is very good. I've had multiple 1/4 moa groups with unprepared and unsorted starline. Even new un fireformed. I just run it through a FL Hornady sizer to make sure the necks are round and load. I haven't had a need to do more than that.

I hope to get another 6 creed in a 20" way point soon because I've got lots of 6 creed brass to use. I have 250 small primer and 1250 large primer. I'm still using the first 50 I started with and loading them over and over and pockets are still tight. If I annealed the necks I could probably get 10 loads per brass. I'm not running them really hot though. I'm shooting 108s at 2920 from a 21" fieldcraft. I have a howa barreled action in a vanguard stock I've never shot that I need to try out too but I really want to just sell it and put the cash towards a waypoint.

Bb

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I’m having a barrel delivered and will reload.

Best dies and best brass?

I don’t shoot a 6mm Creedmoor yet, but for 6.5 Creedmoor, I really like Mighty Armory’s Gold Match Full Length Sizer. The expander is really just a mandrel and it seems to size with less runout than other dies. I have also had great results from the Redding Body Die combined with the Lee Collet Die. Again, have had good results from the Forster FL sizers after having them hone the neck to about .004” under loaded neck diameter. Out of these, I currently like the Mighty Armory the best.

For seating, I’ve been using the Forster micrometer seater for years, and have had universally good results from them. I really like the convenience of the RCBS Matchmaster seater, but the Forster seems to produce a hair less runout.

Edited to add that for brass, lately, I have been using Alpha almost exclusively, and it is excellent, but it is thicker than most and as a result, has less case capacity so will pressure out quicker and get higher velocities with less powder than some brands.

John

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collec...creedmoor-fl-005-hs-sizing-decapping-die

Last edited by Hondo64d; 05/23/23.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought two cases of Hornady 108 ELDM ammo, cheap, to cut straight to the chase....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If Harrell's makes 6 creedmore dies, go that route for a sizer. Have your smith make a bullet seater using the same reamer that cut your chamber.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I bought a set of RCBS die’s. They are so tight you have to run them in about two thirds of the way and then recluse and finish sizing. I sent them to rcbs and got them back the same and they said they are within specs.
Seems funny because the other 20 or so sets of dies I have don’t do that.
Also don’t buy the premium Nosler brass because after 3 firings the primer pockets are toast. The hornady brass I have is on 6 firings and still good. Edk

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have 100 new Alpha cases and a new unused set of Forster dies if anyone wants a deal.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
GTN Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Is the Alpha small or large primer pockets ? Send me a pm with price for the brass if you want to sell just the brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mighty Armory Resizing, Forster Seating, Alpha Brass.

I have a box of new Peterson 6CM SRP that I'd part with or trade for a box of Alpha 6CM LRP.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in my 6 BR i have been shooting some very tight groups with Hammer bullets .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Alpha brass and Forster dies work well for me.

I've used about every brand of dies there is over the years a lot of them Match Grade sets. Forster is what I buy now for new cartridges. They load the most concentric ammo IMO. Alpha,Lapua and I've had great luck with Starline brass also.

Last edited by 28lx; 02/17/24.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Wilson threaded full length bushing die and the Wilson inline seater on mine. For a non bushing f.l. die, a Redding I have makes very straight cases. A simple setup is the Redding standard or Deluxe die set...the Deluxe includes a neck die if you want to experiment with that. Reddings carbide expander ball conversion is worth upgrading to.

For brass, Lapua and Peterson large primer has worked well for me...haven't used any other brands though. If John says the new Hornady stuff is good, that's a solid recommendation.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use Nosler, or Lapua brass, most uniform & consistent. Best dies are Redding Bushing Competition 3 die set with shoulder bump. I ream & turn all my necks to ensure eccentricity and surface contact, eliminate the donit, and generally bump shoulder back around 0.004" or whatever ensures the bolt closes w/ no pressure whatsoever. Use Neo Lube on I/D if they sit for more than a few days.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I just bought two cases of Hornady 108 ELDM ammo, cheap, to cut straight to the chase....
That ammo shoots incredible in my ruger American predator. I am using Hornady dies and brass no complaints. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i just purchased 200 new 30-06 Hornady brass cases this brass is terrible would not work / fit decent in 2 different rifles ,i had to resize this new brass . i was just thinking Hornady was making better products , fooled me again . Pete53

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53

It's like you're dreamin' about gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time.

I use Alpha LRP in one 6 Creed and Hornady & Nosler (depending on bullet) in another.

The Alpha is exceptional but can't complain about the Hornady either - lukewarm on the Nosler brass (could be a bad batch).
RCBS Matchmaster dies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I hope by now Dave has his rifle together and is shooting it…..

For “regular” non premium brass I’m really liking Sig. my experience with Nosler and Hornady brass 5-6 years ago was horrible. Consequently I’m gun shy of those two (pun intended). Otherwise Lapua.

LCD, Redding FL, NK, or body dies are what I use. Just depends on which die works best for a given brand of brass and chamber of the rifle.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SKane

I use Alpha LRP in one 6 Creed and Hornady & Nosler (depending on bullet) in another.

The Alpha is exceptional but can't complain about the Hornady either - lukewarm on the Nosler brass (could be a bad batch).
RCBS Matchmaster dies.

> yes we know you > the dreamer of being a hall monitor on 24 hr. Camper , many are tired of your negative B.S. comments .grow up and post like man and quit being a know it all whiner !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i just purchased 200 new 30-06 Hornady brass cases this brass is terrible would not work / fit decent in 2 different rifles ,i had to resize this new brass . i was just thinking Hornady was making better products , fooled me again . Pete53

I bought a 50 piece pack of .30-06 within the past year. No problems whatsoever - fireformed in my Tikka T3X wi/o a hiccup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

RCBS Matchmaster dies.

> yes we know you > the dreamer of being a hall monitor on 24 hr. Camper , many are tired of your negative B.S. comments .grow up and post like man and quit being a know it all whiner !

Resident troll - perhaps consider staying on point, if only just once. That'd sure break a herculean streak.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

RCBS Matchmaster dies.

Resident troll - perhaps consider staying on point, if only just once. That'd sure break a herculean streak.

> yes the troll monitor still negative ,grow up and try to learn to be a positive person !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.