Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theeck
Thanks for all of the help, guys. I really appreciate it. I did load 3 dozen of those 45 grain Speer bullets this morning. I will give them a try when I can get to the range. I also have and loaded some more of those 45 grain Hornet bullets by Hornady to try as well. It's been a frustrating process but maybe I will keep at it. Maybe a gunsmith could help. I guess it is possible to replace the barrel if necessary but I'm not in love with the action or stock on this rifle either. I think I just like modern rifles with synthetic stocks better but accuracy could change my attitude.

Pappy, I do own a 223 Rem but I load it for for coyote and long(ish) range varmints. I can shoot 1" at 100 yards with it consistently so a great shooter could probably cut that in half. The reason I have not tried loading down is because I think it will change the point of impact and screw me up with my current loads. I may be crazy but I normally pick a good load and shoot nothing else with each one of my rifles. That way I am confident in my shot and don't need to keep sighting in. Thus, I have about 20 rifles in my safe.

I live in a city (a mile or two from the Philadelphia border) and the nearest public shooting range is over an hour away. It means I can only get to the range on weekends. I am heading to my camp in Vermont this weekend. I may bring the 218 bee with me to test it more but I don't have a shooting bench on my land so I would be shooting off hand or resting on a 4-wheeler. It's not really conducive to testing accuracy.
Check your PM. Shot you a number of a reloading shop that did me good on selling and shipping some stuff to me.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I sure like my 600 222 and 700 204 with 32’s. Shot a yapper yesterday mornin with the 222 that looked like a chupacapra!!😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a Win. M43 in .218 B and it shoots very well. Groups under 1" at 1 hundred yards.

My load is 12 gr. Lil' Gun Win. Brass, CCI SPM primers with the40 gr. Speer bullet which will feed from the magazine or the 40 gr. VMax or Nosler Varmageddon loaded single shot. Velocity is 3070 FPS. Can go higher brass doesn't hold up as well. Neck size when possible.

A GREAT squirrel load is 4.3 gr. Unique with either the 40 gr. Speer or .45 gr. Speer Flat nose. Groups under 1/2 inch at 50 yds. Vel. 1600+ FPS.

Lighten up the trigger by unscrewing the trigger spring screw a little and fool with the stock screw tension.

Good Luck!

Hip

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
204 Ruger in a Ruger American Predator.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn I wish marlin would chamber a bee again

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Judman

I'd sure go for a .222R....the rimmed version for the Marlin. Its pretty popular in Australia.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Caplock

I'd sure go for a .222R....the rimmed version for the Marlin. Its pretty popular in Australia.

Ya I would too, just dreaming aloud,

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Triple duece with rem factory 50’s works pretty good

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image hosting services

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew lots of guys in PENN that called foxes when fur was bringing big money, and most of them used a 22 magnum after messing with bigger calibers.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by John0313
Go .222 and don’t look back. 12.7 grains of 4227 with a 45 or 50 grain bullet gives you 22 Hornet velocities, and good accuracy. That’s my Turkey load too.

Ive found a reduced load of 16.5 gr of 4198 and a 50 gr SP in the deuce to be " Fur friendly" and it works on all three of the critters you mentioned...

A few fox one night with the deuce.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Less report than full house loads??

Which 4198??

A little bit less report and it doesnt matter which 4198...whichever one you can get. Shot a couple bobcats with it as well, no pelt damage. Basic 50 gr Hornady SP

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're willing to try and put in a little effort, I don't see why you can't get your current rifle to shoot reduced loads to a usable point of impact. For example, a Sako 22-250 I have is sighted in for 300 yard zero with my hot load. It shoots the medium load an inch high @ 100, so a little lower than the hot load but it's intended for closer ranges so it's perfect. Taking it a step further, I have a small game load that shoots dead on at 30-40 yards. All three loads require no scope adjustment.

Considering the effort, time and components you're putting into making the 218 Bee shoot, scrap it since you already said you're not in love with the action or stock anyway. You know how it goes, you're always going to reach for something else if you don't like it. Just stop wasting your time and sell it.

Put the same effort into working up multiple loads for your primary weapon. It's simpler and requires less hardware. There's no downside to having a more versatile firearm if you don't have to move the scope to get three different levels of performance. I'd call that a win all the way around.

LOL
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Nice. I know a 222 is a good coyote cartridge. I'm just worried about what it might do to a fox or bobcat pelt. Is that a Remington 600?

Last edited by Theeck; 05/23/23.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If you're willing to try and put in a little effort, I don't see why you can't get your current rifle to shoot reduced loads to a usable point of impact. For example, a Sako 22-250 I have is sighted in for 300 yard zero with my hot load. It shoots the medium load an inch high @ 100, so a little lower than the hot load but it's intended for closer ranges so it's perfect. Taking it a step further, I have a small game load that shoots dead on at 30-40 yards. All three loads require no scope adjustment.

Considering the effort, time and components you're putting into making the 218 Bee shoot, scrap it since you already said you're not in love with the action or stock anyway. You know how it goes, you're always going to reach for something else if you don't like it. Just stop wasting your time and sell it.

Put the same effort into working up multiple loads for your primary weapon. It's simpler and requires less hardware. There's no downside to having a more versatile firearm if you don't have to move the scope to get three different levels of performance. I'd call that a win all the way around.

That is my plan b at the moment. I am going to buy some Lil' Gun powder and see if that makes a difference with a variety of bullets. I have been using Accurate 1680 exclusively in the 218 Bee loads. I am also going to clean it really well, clean and adjust the trigger and float the barrel if it hasn't already been done.

Plan C is a nice Remington 222 (for $1,200) and is really tempting. I am going to hold off for now to keep the peace at home. (Mostly kidding - she's not that bad)

Last edited by Theeck; 05/24/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try joining Delaware County Field and Stream.
Much closer than 1 hour.
Soup

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Dats really a cool little gun!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Soup
Try joining Delaware County Field and Stream.
Much closer than 1 hour.
Soup

Hard pass but thanks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I may have missed it, but if you've been using .224" bullets, it may be very worthwhile to try the .223" .

My uncle collected all kinds of Winchester rifles and in a few he found. 223" bullets shot much better than the .224s did.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I always wanted a Rem 600 in 222. To me, the vent rib wins the cool factor, hands down.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigNate
I may have missed it, but if you've been using .224" bullets, it may be very worthwhile to try the .223" .

My uncle collected all kinds of Winchester rifles and in a few he found. 223" bullets shot much better than the .224s did.

I didn't know this was a thing. There are bullets that are actually .223" diameter?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Theeck

Nice. I know a 222 is a good coyote cartridge. I'm just worried about what it might do to a fox or bobcat pelt. Is that a Remington 600?

Yep 600, love it. I wouldn’t worry too much about 222 tearing up hides

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.