Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have an AR-10 .308 with the pyramid front sight. I want to change the gas block to a railed top type. Are set screw types reliable for staying in place if done correctly? The front sight/gas block on it is pinned. I bought a night vision scope off the classifieds and want to be able to mount it.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the key words are "if done correctly." If so, then it should be fine...but some recommend the clamp-on variety.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I have an AR-10 .308 with the pyramid front sight. I want to change the gas block to a railed top type. Are set screw types reliable for staying in place if done correctly? The front sight/gas block on it is pinned. I bought a night vision scope off the classifieds and want to be able to mount it.

Dremel the front sight off.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If switching to a set screw type, dimple the barrel properly and then use blue loctite. I've never had any issues doing it this way..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Why a dremel when an angle grinder with a cut off wheel is so much faster?? Might as well line up other things to be cut off too. Like the bayonet mount on my SKS. Then throw a floppy on and polish that sob out for good measure.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Why a dremel when an angle grinder with a cut off wheel is so much faster?? Might as well line up other things to be cut off too. Like the bayonet mount on my SKS. Then throw a floppy on and polish that sob out for good measure.

If I wanted any shi t out of you I'd squeeze your head. Like no one has ever cut down a fixed front sight post.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

1) Try the new optic with your existing FSB (A-frame front sight) in place before you decide on drastic measures.
It may give you an acceptable co-witness or it may blur out depending on power.
2) The FSB on an AR is the only part that is unique on an AR, so save the FSB and its tapered pins in case you ever want to "go back"
They are unique to that barrel.
3) Use a steel gas block instead of a cheapo aluminum gas block for best results.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the inputs. I'm going to check the view through the scope without any changes first. A low riser may do what I need if I need a little more height.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.