Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
On a lighter note, since no one died...

Some years ago there was some big whoop-de-doo in Hope. Music festival or some such. Lots of clueless people poured in. There is a nice green, grassy ocean-side beach next to the mouth of Resurrection Creek. Great tent sites, eh?? It was taken advantage of...

Most of the Hope residents were up on the bluff, watching the show when the Spring Tide rolled in..... smile

As to Will's post, I know of only one. Bill Miller was known to have kayaked from his home in Hope on good, calm high slack tides, over to Bird Point? to be picked up for appointments in Anchorage. A few times, anyway. I think he didn't do it much. He would do his business and catch another tide back when it was right. Or so I was told, but not by Bill.

I believe they also used boats between The two shores during the gold rush years, but I could be wrong about that.

20-Mile just happens to be 20 miles from Sunrise?

I have run around the head of TA in boats for years. I have been stuck and have had minor issues a number of times. Just understand the basic physics and do not do stupid things.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
OFF SUBJECT:
A Good Read, Available at most Alaska libraries. Or Amazon.com currently has four copies. I say it is a good and educational read. But I am predacious having lived in Sunrise, Alaska much longer then any location.

SUBJECT:
The Turnagain Arm Gold Rush of 1896, preceded the Klondike, changing the face of Alaska forever. Memories of Old Sunrise chronicles one man's experiences during that pivotal time in Alaska's history. In his own words, A. W. Jack Morgan tells of the triumphs, disappointments, and the adventures of miners who survived backbreaking labor, brutal winters, and mind-numbing isolation in the Last Frontier. With a cast of colorful characters, this autobiography brings back to life the bustling times of a bygone era.

https://www.amazon.com/Memories-Old-Sunrise-Alaskas-Turnagain/dp/146757760X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LQ224A2TVTY7&keywords=Memories+of+Old+Sunrise&qid=1684824261&s=books&sprefix=memories+of+old+sunrise%2Cstripbooks%2C1482&sr=1-1

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That is a good book, and there's a picture of my doppelganger in it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
They can fix that surgically, you know...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Can you describe what he looks like?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Just look in your mirror... duh!
wink

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Too bad for the guy in the photo. 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Just look in your mirror... duh!
wink
I am not nearly as handsome as Chris.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Drowning is a bitch. I drowned as a kid, got revived. Nothing "peaceful" about it. My 1st cousin who was like my brother didn't make it from the drowning. That's why Indian women have so many fkn babies.......ur gonna loose some of them river boys.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/24/23.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I can only imagine emergency personnel, friends, and family saying goodbye as the tide comes in. You'd have a little bit of time to pray alone, if you could focus.........

Pretty sad stuff......

NRA Life Endowment Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sad, so very sad.

Rest in peace, young man.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Isn’t there someone list there nearly every year? Or at least quite often?

There are many terrible ways to die in AK as well as many other places. But AK seems to have Murphy’s Law on the top ten read quite often.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Drowning is a bitch. I drowned as a kid, got revived. Nothing "peaceful" about it. My 1st cousin who was like my brother didn't make it from the drowning..........

I'm sorry you lost your cousin, and am glad you came back. I almost drowned once. Drove through the ice and rode the truck to the bottom of the lake. Took a while to get out of the cab. It wasn't "peaceful", in fact it was overwhelming panic, but when I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to make it, a calming feeling of wonder and surprise filled me. Immediately afterwards I got the door open and swam up to the hole I'd created in the ice.

Alaskan winter air is the sweetest air on Earth. Delicious. And every breath of it is a gift from God.

NRA Life Endowment Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Akbob5

There are many terrible ways to die in AK as well as many other places. But AK seems to have Murphy’s Law on the top ten read quite often.

Drownings in general are common but it’s been a long time since the last one like this. Usually several rescues a year from the mud flats - but not fatalities.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
being eaten alive by a grizzly bear like Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard did .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Drownings in general are common but it’s been a long time since the last one like this. Usually several rescues a year from the mud flats - but not fatalities.

I read it's been about 20 years since the last mud flat fatality. Also that the guy pulled in half was at the next low tide body recovery, not at the rescue attempt. Somewhere else is also claiming a pulled-in-half happened in that locale.

Keep in mind it is "journalism". Facts get bent, legends are invented, moved, etc .

Stay off the fuggin mud!

Last edited by las; 05/25/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard the story of the rescue attempting to get the guy out of the mud only to pull him in half when I was in-processing at Elmendorf in 2011. I have experienced the mid first hand in Fish Creek while dip netting it a few years back. I only got on foot stuck and was close to the bank that I finally got out, but it was not fun. Drowning from being stuck in the mud flats is not a way I want to go.

Last edited by Hudge; 05/25/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think everyone has heard the story.

Just like the hundreds of mean problem brown bears that got dropped on on Montague in the 70s and 80s.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So do you guys have tips on how to avoid such areas?
I saw kids messing around in Coal Bay by Homer and it looked like the mud your talking about.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Stay the hell off it! Much like avalanche areas.

Darwinism at work, both.

Last edited by las; 05/27/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 9 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.