Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Last year had to pack out an elk with a day pack without a dedicated meat hauling system. Used paracord to tie to the pack. Not ideal to say the least. Looking for a day pack, preferably less than 2000 ci with meat hauling capacity. What’s on you short list? So far I’ve looked at….

MR pop up 28 or 30
EXO K3 1800

Others?

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Exo has a 2200 coming out in June for the new K4. The additional 400 comes from a large top pocket so the foot print isn’t much bigger.

Have packed a few animals with the K3 1800 and it was pretty comfortable. Have been doing some hikes with the K4 and am liking it.

Have also used the Stone Glacier with the newer version and older version of the Approach quit a bit and really like it.

My kid tried the MR Pop up 28 and neither of us were to impressed, but others seem to like it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replace my Badlands 2200 with a MR Pintler last year which I used to carry out an antelope. I was impressed with it and recommend it but you just missed the 25% off sale at blackovis.com.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I liked the idea of the MR Pop-up and brought one home. Loaded some weight in it and tried it around the house. It seemed ok at 35 lbs but didn't like it at 50 lbs so exchanged it for a Pintler. I've been using the Pintler the last 2 seasons but don't care for the hip belt and am going back to my SO Paradox.

I tried a Stone Glacier in the store with 40 lbs and it felt great - better than the Pintler and comparable to the SO. If starting over, that's probably what I'd go with. Hard to justify now already having the SO which handles 70-80 lbs easily (as much as I've had in it).

My use is as a day pack with meat hauling capability as described in the OP. I bought the SO frame only and use it with the compression panel and different size dry bags depending on how much gear I'm carrying. I later bought a SO bag and lid, but prefer the dry bags.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Appreciate the opinions thus far. Should’ve mentioned if I can carry this bag on board an airplane that would be a huge plus. I will be flying for this trip (and others). Would prefer to not check in multiple bags. I don’t carry too much stuff on days hunts. An extra layer, rain gear, water, snacks, knife, flashlight, toilet paper, etc. So, I can usually fit my stuff in something more like 1200-1500 cubic inches.

Thanks for the ideas so far. The Evo has caught my eye but not sure what else I may be missing.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nimrod has some nice systems.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Does the stone glacier have a compression panel on the front of the pack for meat hauling or can you put meat between the pack and frame?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ll check out the nimrod

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If I'm hunting deer or antelope, I find the Pop Up 28 to be the ideal day pack. It's slim profile slips through dark timber or NE thick hardwoods without getting hung up. At 66 y/o, I prefer not to haul more than a 60# load, give or take, though the pack can easily handle up to 100#. It's a little tank.

For elk hunting I prefer to move up to a Guide Light MT frame with a Sawtooth 45 bag. I still prefer to limit my loads to 60#, even if it means an extra trip, or even two. The haul outs are typically much longer, and the Guide Light MT frame is much more comfortable under a heavy load. Even though it's about 1,000 ci. larger, it still makes for a nice day pack.

I've carried both of these bags home in the airline overheads, filled with boned out frozen meat without any problems.

I would add that there are lots of good quality pack options out there. Also, because of different body shapes, it's best to try as many different brands as possible (with weight) to see what gives the most comfort.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/22/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It has a load shelf on the frame. It is the best load shelf IMO and it’s super easy to use.

Originally Posted by herschel34
Does the stone glacier have a compression panel on the front of the pack for meat hauling or can you put meat between the pack and frame?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
It has a load shelf on the frame. It is the best load shelf IMO and it’s super easy to use.

Originally Posted by herschel34

Yes, Stone Glaciers load shelf is very well done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And a Stone glacier frame with a small bag, or even a large bag compressed down makes a good daypack. It's a small, light, footprint, with large capabilities.

I'm sure Exo packs are similar, I just haven't used them very much. These style of packs are excellent.

Last edited by 270jrk; 05/22/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a MR Popup. Pretty nicely engineered pack, I'd say with 60 lbs you'd be fine, but my experience tells me that's pretty close to the limit.

I also found 28 liters to be too small for later season (more clothing to carry), the 38 would have been better.

My preference is to use a dedicated hauling frame (Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside) with a smaller bag for day hunting (swap bags for a multi-day trip). They simply carry better with weight.

The Popup does have the edge when not carry meat (which in reality is the vast majority of time) in that you can compress the frame down allowing you to hunt thicker timber easier.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Eberlestock F1 can be used with all kinds of packs, day packs or smaller included. The F1 is very comfortable and can haul heavy loads. Offers lots of modularity which is great.

R
R
I have stone glacier but I prefer my exo pack over the 2 my exo fits me better and seams to carry and little better

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Nimrod makes a pretty durable pack, but a mature bull elk head ,cape and horns is not very comfortable to pack very far, I’ve switched to Kifaru pack with a cargo panel with a few pouches for hauling loads out , way more comfortable than a Nimrod!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have been using for many years and very much like an Eberlestock X2 day pack. It is built solid, I carry a full size spotter and tripod in the long side pockets, and it has nice capability to carry a full size elk quarter out.

It is a bit heavier than other day packs, but it fits so well and snug to my back that I don’t notice it.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/hunting-packs/products/x2-pack

Last edited by GF1; 07/01/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kifaru Stryker, either the original or XL versions seems ideal for what the OP wants. It is very much like the Mystery Ranch Mule and while my Stone Glacier experience is next to nil, using the 'meat shelf' with the Stryker seems about as easy as it does with the Stone Glacier system.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MR popup is hard to beat if you want a daypack. At that price point you could pick up something using the guide lite or NICE frame and your load carriage capabilities would increase IMO. Unless it was a Mule or Crew Cab, it would be bigger than what you want.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Price is always secondary to comfort when dealing with heavy loads!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.