Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18443096 05/22/23
T
OP Offline
T
Went to the range recently and found the good ole boys going through a few BOXES of clays. I was wetting my pants hoping there would be some 16s in there, nota one .
Got almost 1K of mostly everything, but mostly reloadable Feds & Wins, all once fired. Anyone needing any 12s for some 16s ?

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
16's don't show up much at skeet or trap fields, but once in a great while, you get lucky.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A few years back a guy I knew bought a Citori Lightning in 16 ga. He made a big score on 1 oz field loads of Herters brand at Cabelas .$65 a flat bought 10 flats. Well he would just toss them. I told him to toss them my way. They reloaded slick 6 star 3 -4 times easy but when I cut down 400 or so for 2 9/16" for roll crimping they were 1 shot Susie's. Just got to be there when it counts. Good luck.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
OP Offline
T
Yeah, the "old" purple Herter's weren't too bad i hear. Load'em like Feds, usually good for 4-5 reloads. Some say though that theirs often split while others say it was the crimp petals that went bad. The NEW Herters are $17/box and black. They are shorties also like the Rem GLs and have the same lousy stiffness to them which will probably only give them 3-4 reloads before being tossed. I've read that also, that roll crimping tends to shorten hull life.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah, more than a few guys like the rem black beauties , I don't hate them but am not real fond of them either. Short reload life, seems like the edge of the crimp starts to burn off fast, in my 600 jr dies, the heads seem way over sized. Worst is the tight hull opening at the end of the primer making it a chore to get them off the deprime punch. They work but a pain in the ass. I use my AA and clone wads in my AA style hulls ( comp formed ww) and power pistons in.rem hulls and federal hulls. Ran out of r-16 1oz power pistons a couple of years ago and now use the sp-16 and some card filler wads instead. Reloading supplies for shotshells been damn skinny for the last 3 years. I was at the big gunshow in Greeley colo last week end late Thurs day after setting up I looked around and spotted 2 full boxes of Alcan AW 12ga wads and a full box of #5 Flitemax wads, she wanted $10 a box for the Air wedge over powder wads and $15 FOR THE #5 flitemaxes I left them. Still there on Friday and sat. On opening Sunday morning I stopped by the table and still there. I smiled at the woman and asked her how many gun shows you gonna drag the OLD wads around too? She told me that I could sure buy them all for 20 bucks so I did. My buds just laughed and thought I was dumb for getting them. But they weren't the ones that scored 1 1/2#'s of AL-5 for 12 bucks last fall either. When I was a young guy I shot a hell of a lot of Alcan Ultramax loads and liked them. So it was a score for me because I have the nitro cards and feltan bluestreak wads also. Old school cool for me.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought 7 flats of the old purple Herters years ago. They don't reload very long, I'm down to 5 1/2 flats. They are Cheddites but use a thinner wall hull, the Cheddites I've bought as new primed empties are thicker and load several more times. I've only had 3 or so boxes of the Remington black beauties, they got crispy real quick. I've read that the Fiocchi and Rio hulls last pretty well. I've never had Rios, but have a couple sacks of Fiocchi primed empties to try out.

T
OP Offline
T
I personally have had no problem reloading the Rios & Nobles. They are a bit larger than all the others though and when you get them they both are 1 1/8 loads. If you try a basic 1 oz starting load of vel/press, you may have to add a filler to get a proper stack height. Depending on the powder, I found some loads where i didn't have to do that. On my 5th reload with some of them and they still look great. Fios have worked well also. Crimp nice, but the Hi base ones get caught up on ejection sometimes from the A-5. Was told the Fios are using a plated steel base. As usual, when you wind up reading about all of us doing reloads at some point there will always be someone who has had a problem with a particular brand. I shot a new box of the purple Feds. Eight of them ejected out of the A-5 split. ONLY that particular box; never had that experience before with any other brand nor the other Feds I was shooting that day. Looked at these holding up to the sunlight, and the hull was paper thin ! Bad lot number ? The A-5 does have a mighty ejection. But why then didn't any other hulls split? Called Federal about this & didn't want to know jack about it.

T
OP Offline
T
No one interested in the 12s ? I'll even trade some 16ga hulls for some. Not interested in the whole stash; just about 100 or so for some of the old purple Herter's & Ren GL blackies.

T
OP Offline
T
ooops. meant 16ga WADS in trade

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.