Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
For sale are two mounts that belonged to my father. These are difficult mounts to crate and ship, so I'm saying that these are for face-to-face purchase at this time. I live in the Denver metro area and am happy to meet you anywhere within a couple of hours drive of Denver. The mounts are actually located in Leadville, CO, so if you live closer to there, I could arrange to meet you further from Denver. If you have an interest in either of these mounts and can't make the FTF work, let's talk and see if we can work something out.

The first is a full body mount of a Mountain Goat taken in Colorado in 2001. This goat has over 8" horns and is a respectable billy in Colorado. Not a record book, but a respectable animal. It has been kept covered over the years and is in fantastic shape with no yellowing of the hair by the sun or dust/dirt accumulation. It was mounted by Barry Smith in Hot Sulfur Springs, CO. It has a fake rock base that is on wheels so can be easily moved around. This was not one of those 300 lb. billys, but a smaller bodied goat, so this mount does not take up a lot of room. Asking $750.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The second is a Sable pedestal mount that was taken in Zimbabwe, Africa in 2007. I can't remember the exact horn measurement but I believe it is close to 40". Excellent looking pedestal mount attached to a tree/branch with a large oval sand covered base. The base is on wheels, so again, it is easy to move around. I apologize for the poor picture, but this is what my elderly mother sent me. I can post better pictures after this weekend. This is another high quality mount done by Jonas Bros. Taxidermy in Lafayette, CO. Asking $1,000.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I'm trying to sell these mounts for my Mom and Dad who are moving to a Senior Living facility and can no longer keep them. I do need to get them out of the house, so if you have any interest at all, please let me know and we can see what kind of deal we can strike. If you need additional measurements or photos or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nice.......GLWYS

Knowing what it costs to full body mount a Desert Ram

$750 is a steal.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a bunch of taxidermy. These are way reasonable. Full body and pedestal mounts cost plenty.

MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
When you get some more pics of the sable, let me know and I’ll give you my info to send them. I could likely do a face to face if it works out. Thanks.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the comments guys. Wyosteve, I'll be in touch after I get better pics. Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really nice mounts...

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you! The taxidermy work on these two is top notch.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks test. I'll be out of town and incommunicado from May 30 through June 10 in case you wonder why you don't hear from me.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Terrific, prices, the pedestal probably cost half that. Very nice mounts.

Dick

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Beautiful mounts

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In 2015 it would have cost me about $7500 to shoot a Sable in Namibia. Then, to get it mounted, and get it home would have been a couple grand more!
This is a heck of a deal for someone who would want the mount in their man cave.
Very nice!
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Tag

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Keeping this at the top.

Thanks for your comments, donsm70! You are correct, the cost of the hunts and the taxidermy are well far and away much more than what is being asked for these mounts. I was present during the hunt for both of these animals with my father, and actually guided my Dad to this goat. If it helps any, I can provide full details of how each animal was hunted, what each was shot with, and any other information that might be helpful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would seem like a local gun or sporting goods store would be very interested in these mounts at those prices.

Black Cows Matter!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by muleshoe
It would seem like a local gun or sporting goods store would be very interested in these mounts at those prices.

I would think this would be the best method of selling them quickly and locally

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately, there really are no local gun or sporting goods store in their town. The ones in the Denver Area are already full of mounts. They might take them if I donated them, but they don't want to pay anything for them. I'm sure there may be some smaller gun shops around that might be interested, but I can't visit them all.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beautiful mounts. As previously stated the price is a steal. I just had a Whitetail done European Style and it cost almost half of your asking price on the Goat. Maybe donate to local chapter of SCI or RMEF for a banquet auction and use as a write off for taxes?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Very nice mounts and bargain priced. I for one wouldn't sell a trophy my father shot especially if I was with him at the time. GLWS

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, guys, for your comments.

GSPfan, I feel the same way. I really wish I could keep these mounts and I would if I could. However, I just don't have anyplace to put them. I have a house full of taxidermy myself, from my own hunts. My wife even offered to just put them in our living room in our very small house but they would take up the entire room and would make the space unusable. That isn't fair to her or our three kids, I don't believe. Other family members have taken other mounts of my Dads, but they can't fit these in their houses, either. It does greatly pain me to sell these, but I'll always have the memories of these hunts and those are worth more to me than the animals themselves.

In any case, this has certainly been an eye opener for me regarding my own taxidermy. No one appreciates your animals near as much as you do and once you're gone, they aren't going to mean much to anyone else, your spouse included. Therefore, when I feel the end is near, I'll make a concerted effort to do something with my animals so my kids won't have to deal with it. Of course, I would hope they might want them, but things change, and they may not want them at all, or not have room for them. I do appreciate everyone's comments, though. Thanks!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm in much the same position you are with my own taxidermy, I'm running out of space. Right now I have 30 big game mounts not to include birds. Several of these are life size. I'm expecting a half life size Aoudad very soon and I'm still wondering where to put it.
I have no family who would want any of these when I cross the river. The wife will probably dump and dispose of them frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe a Cabelas would be interested?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
S
Hi, I'm interested in purchasing both, thanks. Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell of a great price on these.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
SpikemanCO, please get in touch with me if you have an interest in these mounts. I can't PM you because you are a new member.

You can reach me at p dot fabian thirty-one thirty (use numbers) at g mail dot com and we can talk.

Thanks.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
To the top

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
For the morning crowd

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
For the evening crowd

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
TTT

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
TTT

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
good place for unwanted...benefit auctions

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 798 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,118
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.