Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Has anyone used the 200 Hornady on game?

HR IC

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I haven’t but I’m sure they would be great. I load 180 Barnes for my 358’s. I don’t think anyone makes bad bullets anymore. They have had a lot of years to perfect them. I use Hornady’s in a 32-40. They do well on the one deer and pigs I’ve shot.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Yep. Completely flattened a smaller 8 point buck. It dropped in it's tracks. Small wonder the 35 Rem has such a good reputation on game

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes. They drop deer and pigs in their tracks.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks!

IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I had a recent manufacture Ruger K1B rebarreled to 358 Win and used the Hornady 200 round nose to take a 10 point whitetail in OK this past season using TAC powder but I don't recall the charge weight. It was a high shoulder shot at close range and dropped it like a stone. It was my first use of any Hornady bullet to take game and given the short range of under 50 yards is probably not a definitive testimonial. Nevertheless, it worked perfectly and I won't hesitate to use it again.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My brother used them on moose in Alberta year before last. 100 yard range, one and done.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What Ken Howell was passing away, he was giving some of his rifles away to campfire members that use to meet at Quemado Annually. He offered me a rifle, but I passed, feeling it should go to someone who had been part of the group longer than I had at the time.

His 358 Win was given to Scott F. I got to shoot it back at camp. Ken had given some rounds he had loaded up Lord knows how long ago, was a charge of RL 7. I sighted in on a rock, about the size of a cow's head at a little over a 100 yds.

When that bullet it that rock, it shattered into gravel almost. That surprised me...

but what surprised me also, was how little the recoil was from that rifle.

it was of course some custom job, but I was certainly impressed with what it would do, especially with such low recoil in the process...

Never saw a need for a 358, until I fired one... I'm in the twilight of my hunting days now, but If I had found this out at a much younger age, I certainly would have rebarreled one of my Ruger 77 Mk 2s with a 358 Win... I like RL 7 powder a lot and use it to download a lot of short action rifles.

Ken Howell's 358 ( and now Scott F's) was certainly a very sweet shooting rifle.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
All good information gentlemen and thanks. Just got a rebore back from JES. 20'. Only bullets I could find we're 200 Hornady roundness. they do fine at 2100 fps. I had a 150 30 cal Hornady
round nose come apart last year on a ks whitetail at 2400. Dead deer of course. Am wondering about the 35.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use those bullets with my 35 Remington. I use 200 grain Spire Points with the 358. I have not checked lately, but Hornady may have deleted the SP's. I assume the RN may be a litt;e softer. If I recall correctly MD did an article on the 35's. But my memory isn't so good any more.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thankyou Bugger, 35 rem velocity suits me just fine. Little recoil, plenty accurate , no drama.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Brownells just got the Hornady 200 spire back in stock. I don't see any group size difference between those and the Speer 180 JFP but I wanted to try them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd load them up to 358 velocities and hunt with them. They don't expand much under 1800 or 1750 fps; they're not exactly butter soft (hawks are butter soft) and I've killed deer and pigs with the spire point impacting at 2600-2700 fps and not recovered a bullet.

Me I'd run the spire point just because it shoots a little flatter but you can definitely run the round nose at faster than 35 Rem velocities. The 35 Rem is right at the level where a little more speed does seem to help in killing power. At woods ranges I've never noticed a difference between the Whelen and 358 Win. But both kill faster than the 35 Remington, which I happen to also like.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Brownells just got the Hornady 200 spire back in stock. I don't see any group size difference between those and the Speer 180 JFP but I wanted to try them.

I just started using the 200SPs in my .350RM this year and am pretty pleased with them. At 100:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Went through the hogs shoulder, neck bone and exited at 85yds:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I also shot a good sized doe quartering towards me at about 65yds and got an exit after about 40" of penetration. I get slightly under 2900FPS using TAC out of my 20" barrel.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
35s are alive and well it seems. I appreciate all the experience.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
I use those bullets with my 35 Remington. I use 200 grain Spire Points with the 358. I have not checked lately, but Hornady may have deleted the SP's. I assume the RN may be a litt;e softer. If I recall correctly MD did an article on the 35's. But my memory isn't so good any more.

SPs

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a model 7 in 358. When I inherited it I did some research. Found a good link worth reading I'll link at bottom.

Here is what was said about the Hornady 200 gr round nose as well as the spire point 200 gr Hornady and 200 gr FTX bullets:

Speaking of the two 200 grain Hornady bullets, there is a big difference between the round nosed and pointed bullet designs. The round nosed bullets are extremely fast expanding and in the case of the 200 grain weight this can inhibit penetration. The 200 grain round nosed Interlock is therefore better suited to hunting light bodied deer species at close ranges (also Mountain Lion). Results can be quite spectacular and this bullet works very well down to 2200fps (70 yards), continuing to provide modest performance down to 1800fps (170 yards). From 1800fps to 1600fps (230 yards), this bullet needs to strike the center or forwards shoulder in order to achieve fast killing; therefore shot placement is of great importance.

The 200 grain Hornady spire point as already mentioned (Factory Ammunition section) can make for a useful all around deer bullet. This bullet produces slightly more delayed expansion and therefore slightly better penetration than its round nosed counterpart which excels on very lean animals. In contrast to this the 200 grain bullet gives acceptable penetration on mid weight deer from varying angles, but this also has its limits and cannot be used to take tail on shots. From a muzzle velocity of 2500fps the 200 grain spire point breaks 2200fps at 100 yards and gives modest results to 1800fps or 250 yards.

The 200 grain Hornady FTX is a very fast expanding, violent bullet. It is well suited to light to mid weight deer species weighing around 60 to 120kg (130 to 260lb) with 150kg (330lb) as a sensible upper limit. Bullet weight loss is generally around 50% - like a traditional Interlock or SST; this in plain terms results in excellent energy transfer on lean game but limits its potential with regards to large bodied game. This bullet can produce very spectacular kills above 2200fps (105 yards) and clean killing to 1800fps (260 yards). It is an excellent deer bullet but should never be used for heavy game.

If used for tail on shots on game weighing up to 60kg (132lb), all three Hornady bullets may reach vitals but can also suffer full disintegration. Recovered bullets from raking shots can display mushrooming back to a point in which no shank remains and the remaining core and jacket are somewhat flattened out. Some hunters complain that when used at ranges beyond 100 yards the 200 grain Interlocks are too stout and do not kill unless major bones are struck. These bullets are in fact extremely soft. The reason for delayed killing is again the low velocity and the resulting absence of hydrostatic shock along with decreased hydraulic shock (disproportionate to caliber wound channel / see Effective Game Killing). The reason why these bullets appear to require heavy bone to initiate expansion is that the autonomic plexus (central nervous center) is located within the line of the forelegs; once the autonomic plexus is destroyed, death occurs immediately. The increased disruption of the projectile striking shoulder bones also helps to promote wounding at low impact velocities along with the destruction of the major locomotive muscles. For medium game the .358 loaded with the Hornady 200 grain bullets is a useful tool at woods ranges because a poorly placed snap shot that strikes too far back into the rear lungs will produce fast killing via fast bleeding. As ranges increase however, more attention must be given to shot placement; fortunately at longer ranges the hunter often has more time to place shots.

link:https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.358+Winchester.html

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used the Hornady Inter-lok 200gr. round nose bullets out of my .35 Whelen on whitetails, it's a great bullet superbly accurate. Only recovered one that traversed the length of a buck shot at 100yds., it retained 66% of its original weight and was perfectly mushroomed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.