Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
Shooting Paper at any distance is BORING !!! as HELL, shoot Steel. Rio7

You’re right.

Audettes might work on a big steel plate at looong range

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a person who does not own a chronograph what I'm hearing is your group at the target (group size) is more important than knowing your velocity. It sounds like shooting a ladder of different powder load sizes until you find an accurate load is more important than knowing what your velocity is. Factoring in good sound loading techniques of course.

It's not that having a chronograph is not helpful, (to determine ballistics) but it should not be the primary deciding factor. Ultimately the group size is the ultimate decision maker when you choose powder, load and bullet selection ?

kwg

Edit:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/13/creighton-audette-ladder-testing/

Last edited by kwg020; 01/30/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Ultimately the group size is the ultimate decision maker when you choose powder, load and bullet selection ?

You shoot a bunch of one-shot "groups" at a piece of paper. The Audette method looks for tight vertical dispersion, not a "group" per se.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Ultimately the group size is the ultimate decision maker when you choose powder, load and bullet selection ?

You shoot a bunch of one-shot "groups" at a piece of paper. The Audette method looks for tight vertical dispersion, not a "group" per se.
I interpret that as the charge gets larger you would expect the POI to rise. However, when you get to a string that is flat with the same or similar POI's a person could look at those loads closer in order to find the "best" load.

Just my interpretation . Thanks, I appreciate the information.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I interpret that as the charge gets larger you would expect the POI to rise. However, when you get to a string that is flat with the same or similar POI's a person could look at those loads closer in order to find the "best" load.

Just my interpretation . Thanks, I appreciate the information.

kwg

Not necessarily.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I knew Creighton quite well! A really good Palma shooter! An engineering shooter he was!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Audette is about people too lazy to use a scale.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"When shooting the Audette, only one shot per increment is used"

Which is why it is not a desireable method.

Tell me one other scientific process that relies on a quantity of 1 to base a decision on.

Now if you shoot the ladder 6 times well that's different but if your shooting the ladder 6 times you are really doing optimal charge weight in a different form.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 05/25/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
"When shooting the Audette, only one shot per increment is used"

Which is why it is not a desireable method.

Tell me one other scientific process that relies on a quantity of 1 to base a decision on.

Now if you shoot the ladder 6 times well that's different but if your shooting the ladder 6 times you are really doing optimal charge weight in a different form.

Wrong

The decision is based on all of the impacts

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
The decision is based on all of the impacts

You are taking your decision based on the relative position of one impact, which does not mean anything, against another, which does not mean anything, against another, which does not mean anything, against another, which does not mean anything... and so on.

If the results obtained in such a way would be repeatable time after time I would change my mind but I have never seen anyone even trying.

Disclaimer: It would work for someone and his gun who shoots one-holers only, of course.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Chamois is correct. Run the same Audette ladder 24 times and you have the equivalent of this Optimal Charge Weight method target below.

I have yet to see a post on any internet forum where some states that they even ran their Audette ladder even 3 times.

To prove the point, had the target below been shot as an Audette; single rounds of 44.8, 45.2, & 45.6 could have easily made 45.2 look like a good Audette load where a better load is 46.2.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 05/26/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

You rifle likes the right side of the target page.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,263
Posts18,448,214
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.