Print Thread
Hop To
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone have a recommendation for an outfit in the Ardennes, for a day or half day hunt?

Seems like it would be a cool thing to do while a person is in the area.

Language is not a barrier.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ll bet it would be fun. And wish you luck finding an outfitter. My dad spent a couple of months hunting there as an 18 year old in 1944-1945.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Little luck so far.

I am awaiting a reply from the Fédération Départementale des Chasseurs des Ardennes in NE France, but am wondering if I ought to also check out across the border into Belgium.

I'm going to be at Bastogne (Belgium) checking out the history of the battle of the bulge, so right there anyway. Did your dad survive that part of WWII?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very cool. My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Some nasty fighting in that battle.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about boar hunts in the Ardennes, but it sounds like a fun thing to do.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They get big in Europe from what I hear

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My grandpa tried to join at the beginning of the war but he had a congenital heart defect and was an electrician for Alcoa which was a sensitive and protected position for the war effort. He’d been turned down by the army and navy so he was dejected. By 1944 they called him and he became a soldier. It seems that heart defects were not a big concern for sacrificial machine gun fodder but grandpa didn’t care he WANTED to serve! Luckily grandpa wasn’t sent to the Bulge as they’d planned because it seems that your fathers, grandfathers and uncles fought with a bravery and tenacity that reliably brings tears to my eyes!

I got to know the most amazing man and the best grandpa a boy could have because of the bravery and dedication all your relatives exhibited!

To say THANKS seems so cheap and inadequate…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Very cool. My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Some nasty fighting in that battle.

Yep, my dad got two bronze stars hunting in the Ardennes.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chateau Stree (spelling?) in Stree, Belgium. Contact Bob Kern with Hunting Consortium.

Took an honest 300kg boar there many years ago.

First class accommodations at a Duke’s private estate.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Same here

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My dad served in the Battle of Bulge and I had the opportunity to visit the area last year. It is very steep terrain in areas. I didn't look into hunting but in driving around, I saw some areas that the boars had been working over. There is a very nice small museum in La Roche, Belgium if you get over that way. I always wanted my dad to go back and revisit the area but he was never too interested. He never liked to talk about it other than to say he was a naïve teenager when he went over there and had a difficult time with the kind of brutality he witnessed. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. His company suffered about a 30% KIA rate.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One of these guys is my dad. Company E, 179th Infantry Regiment, 75th Infantry Division. I have an original of this pic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Godogs57; 05/30/23.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That looks like a great read.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
watch out for UXO, lots still about

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Little luck so far.

I am awaiting a reply from the Fédération Départementale des Chasseurs des Ardennes in NE France, but am wondering if I ought to also check out across the border into Belgium.

I'm going to be at Bastogne (Belgium) checking out the history of the battle of the bulge, so right there anyway. Did your dad survive that part of WWII?

I recommend blocking out at least 3 hours to visit the Bastogne War museum, I think I could have spent 4 but local friends took us, and made reservations to eat in town.

The Mardasson Memorial was closed for maintenance, (construction fence) but you could still walk around it and view from the outside.

LIBERATORIBVS
AMERICANIS
POPVLVS BELGICVS
MEMOR
IV.VII.MCMXLVI

(The Belgian people remember their American liberators – 4th July 1946)

I also would recommend eating at Wagon Leo/Bistro Leo where they took us in town.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
for a sobering experience visit the Ossuaire du Duoaumont outside Verdun!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My father was captured in Sessenheim France, Rhine River area. Hope to go there next year as well as Normandy and other battle fields. Bastogne needs to be on the list. This thread morphed into one with great information. THANK YOU.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finding a boar hunt in The Ardennes will be tricky. The best site I’ve used is

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/en/HuntingMap

I would contact German Chapter of SCI and or an Edward Ketner hunting store in Western Germany (Bonn) and inquire if they can advise outfitters.

SCI is best bet.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Godogs57
One of these guys is my dad. Company E, 179th Infantry Regiment, 75th Infantry Division. I have an original of this pic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Many thanks to your father and the entire Company E, 179th Infantry Regiment, 75th Infantry Division.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

589 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.