Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18448573 05/24/23
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone got a sure fire recipe for hushpuppies? Big fundraiser event I'm involved in always does a fish fry the evening before and I'd like to take hushpuppies. We'll have a bunch of fryers there ready to roll. Hoping to be able to have as "pre-made" as possible as I'll be there all day Friday setting up the 3-D course and getting the bucket raffles set.

I've only had "homemade" ones a few times, but each time they were amazing.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Simple, corn meal egg, a little milk, I use leftover from breading fish. Squeeze into balls and fry.
Baking powder!

Last edited by wabigoon; 05/24/23.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still looking for the perfect recipe…

A commercial style scoop will help speed things up and make the sizes consistent for easier frying.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hey Chumleyhunts,

Here is a recipe I developed for Jalapeño Hushpuppies/Corn Fritters, they are outstanding and who doesn't love Hushpuppies, right? Where I am from we call them Corn Fritters.

Preheat Oil to 375 F

In a bowl sift together and mix 1 cup All Purpose Flour, 1 Tsp Baking Powder, ½ Tsp Salt, 2 Tbs Granulated Sugar.

Mix in 1 Beaten Egg, with ½ Cup Homogenized 3.25% Milk and give it a rough mix.

Then add 1 cup of a can of Green Giant Corn Niblett’s (or more if you like) along with 1 or 2 large small diced Jalapeño Peppers (depending on how spicy you want them, or you can skip them altogether, but they add lots of flavor and makes them unique) and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated, but do not over mix.

Add 1 large spoonful or a small ice cream scooper of the mixture into the 375° F Oil and let cook for approximately 6 minutes or until golden/dark golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pot/fryer, I check one before taking them all out to ensure they are fully cooked.

Place on a wire rack to drain and season while hot, I use Everglades Seasoning that I make at home.

Bon Appetite~

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/25/23.

KB

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hey Chumleyhunts,

Here is a recipe I developed for Jalapeño Hushpuppies/Corn Fritters, they are outstanding and who doesn't love Hushpuppies, right? Where I am from we call them Corn Fritters.

Preheat Oil to 375 F

In a bowl sift together and mix 1 cup All Purpose Flour, 1 Tsp Baking Powder, ½ Tsp Salt, 2 Tbs Granulated Sugar.

Then add 1 cup of a can of Green Giant Corn Niblett’s (or more if you like) along with 1 or 2 large small diced Jalapeño Peppers (depending on how spicy you want them, or you can skip them all together, but that add lots of flavor and makes them unique) and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated, but do not over mix.

Add 1 large spoonful or a small ice cream scooper of the mixture into the 375° F Oil and let cook for approximately 6 minutes or until golden/dark golden brown. Do not over crowd the pot/fryer, I check one before taking them all out to insure they are fully cooked.

Place on a white rack to drain and season, I use Everglades Seasoning that I make at home.

Bon Appetite~

No corn meal?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hey Chumleyhunts,

Preheat Oil to 375 F

Then add 1 cup of a can of Green Giant Corn Niblett’s (or more if you like) along with 1 or 2 large small diced Jalapeño Peppers (depending on how spicy you want them, or you can skip them all together, but that add lots of flavor and makes them unique) and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated, but do not over mix.

Add 1 large spoonful or a small ice cream scooper of the mixture into the 375° F Oil and let cook for approximately 6 minutes or until golden/dark golden brown. Do not over crowd the pot/fryer, I check one before taking them all out to insure they are fully cooked.

Place on a white rack to drain and season, I use Everglades Seasoning that I make at home.

Bon Appetite~

No corn meal?

nope not in this recipe, to be honest I have never used corn meal I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

KB

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
House Autry, water, and an ice cream scoop. You can get into a good rhythm between dropping the hush puppies and getting them out of the oil. I once made over 1k hush puppies in three hours or so for a charity drive.

Pre made hush puppies suck balls. If you have access to a fryer, they don't take long to make.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 05/25/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lot easier to get them from SYSCO, lol

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Lot easier to get them from SYSCO, lol

Those are schitty hush puppies

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 05/25/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
[quote=BRISTECD]Lot easier to get them from SYSCO, lol

SACRALIGIOUS, especially when they take 10 minutes to make from scratch and fresh lol

Did you win a Guinness Book of Records award for making them 1000+ Hushpuppies?

KB

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I haven’t had a hush puppy in thirty years. You ever heard of heart disease?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I haven’t had a hush puppy in thirty years. You ever heard of heart disease?

More concerned about STD's LMAO

KB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always use whatever Louisiana Cajun fish fry I have left after I get my fish fried. It’s basically fine ground cornmeal with seasonings, I’m sure yellow corn meal could be used in its place if you added a little Old Bay.

I dump whatever is left into a bowl and match that amount with flour. Tablespoon of baking powder. Diced jalapeños, however many you think is right. Double handful of diced onion. Small can of corn. Handful of shredded cheddar cheese. A little Old Bay and Tony Catchere’s or Slap yo Momma. Dump in enough beer to get a nice consistency about like drywall putty.

Spoon into hot grease and cook until golden brown. They make up into a nice fritter. I don’t care for the more traditional coarse cornmeal balls that most sell or make as hush puppies. The Shore Lunch ones I ate in SD being especially poor to my tastes, basically unseasoned fried cornmeal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't think I've ever had 1 !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good one will have diced onion in it. Otherwise it’s not a real hushpuppie

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Don't think I've ever had 1 !

Try my recipe, they go great with fish and everyone will be happy you did, guaranteed! cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/26/23.

KB

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
[quote=BRISTECD]Lot easier to get them from SYSCO, lol

SACRALIGIOUS, especially when they take 10 minutes to make from scratch and fresh lol

Did you win a Guinness Book of Records award for making them 1000+ Hushpuppies?

Nope, but I did get a free BBQ sandwich and chips. I call that a win.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I call that a win as well, not to forget all of the smiles your efforts put on people's faces smile

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/26/23.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hushpuppies are different from corn fritters. Just sayin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.