24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 157 of 196 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 195 196
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddy is heading home today, thank GOD !
I made four roadtrips to the ICU lately, stopped by Knob Creek, right on the way yesterday.
Found two more interesting Federal factory loads to check out for posterity.
Shown below are the previous two chronicled here, and two new ones.
500-grain HYDRO advertised at 2050 fps, gave 2062 fps MV in 24" M70 Supergrade.
500-grain "Fusion Safari" advertised at 2090 fps gave 2192 fps MV in same rifle, same day !!!

[Linked Image]

Next two for checkin'on:
400-grain Trophy Bonded advertised at 2250 fps ...
500-grain Barnes Banded Solid advertised at 2050 fps ...
Will do in same rifle, 24" M70 Cabela's Commemorative.

After ammo purchase I stopped in restroom before hitting the road again.
Delightful urinal sticker, and lots of other clippings plastered on the wall above the urinals:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18450054/another-local-emporium

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The Hillary bullseye target is super cool, Sir Ron

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fellow Knights,

I had a chance to get to the range to sight in the Ruger Hawkeye 458 WM 2 days ago. Set up the 35P and shot through the screens. MV with the 450 grain CEB BBW#13 loaded with AA-2230 corrected is 2400 FPS. The rifle is ready and has turned me into a believer in the 458 WM chambered in the right rifle. No question this is an elephant DGR. It’s a true DG cartridge, as Winchester should have loaded it and fit it into a proper CRF platform. Somewhat belatedly, the Ruger Hawkeye with the No. 1 barrel has proven to be a proper system.

The Win M-70 460 G&A has proven a bit of a challenge. MV 2350 FPS with a 500 grain bullet has been easily achieved but setting up the sights with a stock designed for scopes has been a bit of a challenge, because the minimal drop at heel is not conducive to iron sights. I’ve now installed a Holosun 530G mounted on a factory QD base in a modified steel Weaver pattern scope base. It aligns well with the stock’s straight design. Next week it should be sighted in and finally ready.

A backup NECG peep will require some further modification but should be ready, in the unlikely event of optics failure.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sir Ron,
Your Post's never seem to get old. Besides the fact they are Factual and informative but are also amusing! Glad to hear your friend is doing better as we at the square Table continue to send Prayers!
Long live the .458 WM

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Fellow Knights,

I had a chance to get to the range to sight in the Ruger Hawkeye 458 WM 2 days ago. Set up the 35P and shot through the screens. MV with the 450 grain CEB BBW#13 loaded with AA-2230 corrected is 2400 FPS. The rifle is ready and has turned me into a believer in the 458 WM chambered in the right rifle. No question this is an elephant DGR. It’s a true DG cartridge, as Winchester should have loaded it and fit it into a proper CRF platform. Somewhat belatedly, the Ruger Hawkeye with the No. 1 barrel has proven to be a proper system.

The Win M-70 460 G&A has proven a bit of a challenge. MV 2350 FPS with a 500 grain bullet has been easily achieved but setting up the sights with a stock designed for scopes has been a bit of a challenge, because the minimal drop at heel is not conducive to iron sights. I’ve now installed a Holosun 530G mounted on a factory QD base in a modified steel Weaver pattern scope base. It aligns well with the stock’s straight design. Next week it should be sighted in and finally ready.

A backup NECG peep will require some further modification but should be ready, in the unlikely event of optics failure.

Outstanding. The 450-grain CEB at 2300 to 2400 fps will pass through an elephant on any side-on body or any angle of head shot.
I am just curious if you could reach the brain of an elephant with a Texas Heart Shot ?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Tony,
Asante sana-sana for the flowers, and the old yellow and red box loads you sent for sampling.
Here is some more factory load dissections.
Your 1957 Winchester 500-gr FMJ loads were still up to snuff 64 years after they left the factory.
Recall that they used 67.0 grains of a short-grained extruded powder.
Current propellants:

[Linked Image]

little changed from 1957, see below.

Yesterday I got to the range one hour before closing and set chronograph at 5 yards and targets at 50 yards.
Had to bore sight the little 2.5x20mm Leupold in QRW rings on a Near Mfg. Picatinny with 25-MOA tilt.
I swift-kicked my own arse for wasting 2 shots into the dirt and finally getting onto paper with the third shot.
It shot high with the 25 MOA tilt. Plenty of adjustment in the little scope though.
I got off 20 shots by closing time.
Wind was a bit gusty, 11 mph or more.
Throwing out the first two shots into the dirt, I got an average for 8 hots with the "400"-gr TB Bear Claw,
closer to a 390-grainer !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That completed the copper fouling.
Brass fouling was next, 5 more shots for a mean:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Final 5 shots, and 4 went into one hole. I got excited and pulled the 5th shot.
That is my story and I am sticking to it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am thinking this rifle has an accuracy node for 500-grainer at about 2100 fps.
Hubba hubba.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Excellent report and results!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting that with the 400-grainer at 2345 fps MV landing about 1.4" high at 50 yards,
the scope was not changed/adjusted
and the 500-grainer at 2102 fps was landing about an inch higher than that at 50 yards.
Barrel time and recoil effects.

Using the 2.5X scope at 1000 yards: Holdover on the billboard-sized target with standard duplex reticle, and 25-MOA rail.
Aiming above the 3-feet-square bull.
Easier than with barrel sights on 1-power. Heh-heh-heh.
Rifle likes brass fouling:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hood is still tight on the front sight ramp. I am not messing with it until it flies away spontaneously.
Recoil is light with a 10-pound rifle, with a 3-pound trigger. Heh-heh-heh.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent reporting, Sir Ron... thanks beaucoup!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by CZ550
Excellent reporting, Sir Ron... thanks beaucoup!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Copy that Sir Ron!!!
That 1957 Winchester .458 WM sure pleasantly surprised me with it's results.

Who wouldn't get excited and pull the 5th shot?

PARFAIT!!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sir Ron,

very informative report, as always!

Your single-hole multishot targets seem eerily familiar. Those heavy, thick-walled barrels perform very well in taming inconsistent harmonics.

Interesting to hear you plan 1000 yard shooting while I'm working on a 25 yd zero for no more than 50 yard shots!! LOL!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ruger Hawkeye 458 WM update:

Got to the range this morning to decide which sights to use and zero the rifle. It continues to impress with the consistent accuracy delivered with the CEB BBW #13 450 grain FP monolithic Solid. I decided to install one of my old tried and true Leupold 1-4x25 scopes on factory Ruger rings. This scope had been on one of the 404-375 Hawkeyes in the past.

Settled on the scope because the alignment of the comb and cheek weld are ideal. At 1x there’s a very adequate FOV, though scopes are not my favorite solution for elephants in a herd. It’ll work though. BTW, the loads in the cut-off Lott cases have identical POI as the 458 WM cases.

Here’s the 1st and final target with this load and scope from the bench at 25 yds at 4x:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Next time I’ll fire it at 50 yds and never return to the bench!

Still working out the sights for the Win M-70 G&A. Today I settled on a Holosun 530C mounted on the factory QD mount on a modified Warne steel base on the front receiver ring. The shots with different sights as I adjusted them are visible on the left hand target in the lower photo.

I’ll finalize the sight setting next week. BTW the 460 now has 12 ounces of lead in the buttstock - quite an improvement in recoil speed!

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Get it ready for buff.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Next week they’ll both be ready for elephants. I received an order of Berry’s 350 grain SOCOM 0.458” diameter bullets today which will constitute the bulk of the practice loads @ around 1500-1600 fps with H-4895, from both rifles. Preparation for the hunt, with 5-10 full power loads each session.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent work Sir Khulu.
Any elephant work with a .458 is going to be interesting.
Maybe I will get to do that one day, but I have a grudge to settle with a Kodiak first.
Sir Tony and Sir Bob, asante sana-sana.
Sir Bob sent this from his club house, instructive for those who think a 24" barrel is cumbersome on a .458:

[Linked Image]

Here is my latest 24" barrel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

8.0 lbs as shown without scope or ammo, 24" barrel Pac-Nor No. 5 Super Match Stainless, 1:10" twist, 8 grooves, .458"/.450".
This the next candidate for the 2024 Creedmost Match.
It will allow 2 lbs of slip-on LOP adjuster, scope and rings.
Weaver steel cross-slot bases (S46 and S45), known to work well on another FN M98, no shim required:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If Near Mfg. makes a rail for FN M98, I will switch scope bases.
There is weight-limit room to play with.
Trigger is a Timney adjusted to 3-1/4 lbs, legal !

I am going to shoot it before the Cerakote, which hopefully won't add too much weight.
Stock is B&C Medalist, 2.0 lbs.
Proper wood to cover the drop belly mag would be too heavy for this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left side, cocked and not loaded:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The muzzle thread protector is off the shelf, $12 from Grovtec:

https://grovtec.com/products/thread-protectors?variant=39549522772039

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is a handy size: terminal 5/8" of barrel is threaded 5/8"-24 tpi and OD is 0.750",
a scant bit larger than the 0.720" barrel diameter where the threading ends.
The Super Grade muzzle diameter on the M70 24-incher is 0.730".
No. 5 sporter is a happy contour for a .458 whether from McGowen, Douglas, Pac-Nor, or Shilen,
all pretty close to the Winchester contour.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Excellent work Sir Khulu.
Any elephant work with a .458 is going to be interesting.
Maybe I will get to do that one day, but I have a grudge to settle with a Kodiak first.
Sir Tony and Sir Bob, asante sana-sana.
Sir Bob sent this from his club house, instructive for those who think a 24" barrel is cumbersome on a .458:

[Linked Image]

Here is my latest 24" barrel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

8.0 lbs as shown without scope or ammo, 24" barrel Pac-Nor No. 5 Super Match Stainless, 1:10" twist, 8 grooves, .458"/.450".
This the next candidate for the 2024 Creedmost Match.
It will allow 2 lbs of slip-on LOP adjuster, scope and rings.
Weaver steel cross-slot bases (S46 and S45), known to work well on another FN M98, no shim required:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If Near Mfg. makes a rail for FN M98, I will switch scope bases.
There is weight-limit room to play with.
Trigger is a Timney adjusted to 3-1/4 lbs, legal !

I am going to shoot it before the Cerakote, which hopefully won't add too much weight.
Stock is B&C Medalist, 2.0 lbs.
Proper wood to cover the drop belly mag would be too heavy for this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Left side, cocked and not loaded:

[Linked Image]

Looks nice Sir Ron !
And here I was just thinking about a 16" barreled 458.
It's all wishful thinking at this point as I'm neck deep in more home building projects for this summer. And I need to get in this winters firewood. . It would be very nice if I could be wrapped up by moose season.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sir Ron,

Understand your joust with a Kodiak. Mine lasted 4 trips before one fell to a Hawkeye Alaskan - all of 20” bbl - then still in 375 Ruger. A single Barnes 300 grain TSX at 18 yds. Angling left to right shot produced a broken on shoulder, hole through the heart and bullet recovered from the far last rib just under the hide. He lasted all of 3-5 seconds.

One of the main reasons I rebored the Alaskan Hawkeye to 0.423” - the 404-375 Ruger - was a desire to have another go at another brown bear. Got busy with Africa - used the Hawkeye African then as a 404-375 Ruger on a Cape buff - and now I realize that going after another brown bear will never happen. Worthy goal though, as I see brown bears as the Cape buffalo of the Far North. Doesn’t seem you can carry too much gun when you’re up close.

However, a proper 458 WM DGR certainly qualifies as “enough gun.”

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 06/01/23.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Page 157 of 196 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 195 196

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.