Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been loading Unique in .44 Special and .44 Magnum for more than 40 years, I also load it in 9mm. I've always been satisfied with Unique's performance, I load some HS-6 in 9mm but when I run out I'll load Unique exclusively in all three rounds.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sad to see so many with their panties in a bunch because they can't find the powder endorsed by Abe Lincoln.

I switched away from Unique back in the late 80's and never looked back.

There are so many excellent propellants today that it seems silly to get hung up on just one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dla
Sad to see so many with their panties in a bunch because they can't find the powder endorsed by Abe Lincoln.

There are so many excellent propellants today that it seems silly to get hung up on just one.
What means this?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This past winter I burned up a pound and a half of Unique, in a bolt action 223.

Been ringing steel gongs at 300 and 400 yds. Charge with bullet weights from 40 to 55 ( with 50, 52 and 53 in the middle), was 9 grains... Used both small pistol and small rifle primers...didn't make much of a difference...
so Unique is even accurate enough for that kind of service.

on top of the rifles were Cabelas Covenant 4 rifle scopes.. that reticle made it easy.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used Unique in 38 Specials and 45 ACP’s when I shot indoor pistol league. I found Unique to be a good powder that produced accurate loads. I’m still using powder from a keg I bought quite a while ago. Since the indoor ranges at the high school armories have been shut down, there’s not much indoor shooting as there once was.
I haven’t used Unique in any hunting loads that I recall other than cotton tails and squirrels.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Same here, I usually fiddle with it in newly acquired guns, but the only thing I've consistently used it for is 32 cal small game/plinking loads the past 4-5 years. The keg I'm currently pulling from will likely last me the rest of my life, since those popguns are such are powder sippers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by dla

What means this?

Haha! Having constants in one's life is a good thing. Sure, experiment with other powders - it's what we loonies do - but it's nice to have a security blanket you can turn to, knowing the results will be predictable. Doesn't matter what powder that security blanket represents to the individual. (And in truth there's so little accuracy/performance difference between many powders that it takes an exceptionally good shooter with the skills of a human Ransom Rest to tell the difference.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had an old fella walk in the gunshow last weekend carrying 8 lb jug of Unique he was looking to sell. It came home with me.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember correctly. Unique was the first powder I used in about 1964. Went in partnership with a friend on loading equipment. Loaded for my recently bought Colt Python. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started in reloading in 1976, bought Unigue and added 2400 to the bench.
They are my go to for handgun ammo to this day.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dirty, schmirty. I've never understood the fixation on clean vs dirty powders.
Every shot pushes the crud from the previous one out the front.
Dirt in the action, well that may be another issue.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Papag
Dirty, schmirty. I've never understood the fixation on clean vs dirty powders.
Every shot pushes the crud from the previous one out the front.
Dirt in the action, well that may be another issue.
Low powered loads, like cowboy action shooters like, pretty dirty.

Maxed out loads, much cleaner.

Hotter the load, cleaner the burn. Good old powder that’s stood the test of time. Are there better powders out there? Probably. But these days you shoot what you can find.

I’d be happy loading hot .45 ACP, 9mm ammo and similar, if Unique was all I could find. Could do worse.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Clean burning does make a difference when you are going thru a course of fire with 6-8 reloads in a revolver.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Clean burning does make a difference when you are going thru a course of fire with 6-8 reloads in a revolver.
For sure, especially a DA with a star ejector. Grains of unburned granules getting under the ejector, cylinder won’t close. Don’t ask how I know.

Maybe from my early reloading days, trying 2400 in my K-38.

Yeah.

DF

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Biggest source of crud on my revolvers is from the cast bullet lube . I just mostly shoot Alox lubed cast bullets and some hi Tek coated. The powder fowling is negligible . I just wipe them off with some oil and paper towels after I shoot. Sometimes I clean the bore if I get some leading. No big deal at all. I often wonder why people worry so much about it.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have never noticed Unique being that dirty. During one of the shortages when I was about out I did some experimenting with other powders. American Select, 20/28, and e3 come to mind. They worked fine for my target ammo needs. I have bought another #8 jug of Unique, but I am still loading American Select in most of my 38 Special and 45GAP range loads.
Then I worked up loads for the 45GAP, using about every non-magnum handgun and shotgun powder I could locate samples of. What I discovered was lots of different powders worked very well. The only one I was not reasonably impressed with was 800X.

With that out of the way. If I were to stock up for a very long dry spell Unique, WW748, and Red Dot would be the three powders that would load 90% of the ammunition that I shoot. Unique has been getting the job done very well for a very long time.

Bob R

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went down to the Sportmans Warehouse (Oregon) on 82nd today...they had several pounds of Unique...remaining.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Viper225
I have never noticed Unique being that dirty. During one of the shortages when I was about out I did some experimenting with other powders. American Select, 20/28, and e3 come to mind. They worked fine for my target ammo needs. I have bought another #8 jug of Unique, but I am still loading American Select in most of my 38 Special and 45GAP range loads.
Then I worked up loads for the 45GAP, using about every non-magnum handgun and shotgun powder I could locate samples of. What I discovered was lots of different powders worked very well. The only one I was not reasonably impressed with was 800X.

With that out of the way. If I were to stock up for a very long dry spell Unique, WW748, and Red Dot would be the three powders that would load 90% of the ammunition that I shoot. Unique has been getting the job done very well for a very long time.

Bob R

I almost agree with your three choices. Would probably substitute Win 231 for the Red Dot. Truthfully cuz I ain't never used any.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Several venders have Unique back in stock. Picked up three pounds this morning. Now if they could get some more 2400, I would really be pleased.

Doesn't Unique burn dirtier than Universal it's next door cousin ?

I run Universal in lever guns.........semi pistols.......and it's available

Universal is not on the shelf anywhere and is not expected to ship until maybe next year and maybe the year after that.

Have a 4# jug......I'm set

I got three 4 pound jugs, and one 8 pounder....

I'm MORE SET! smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Unique in 9mm, 38 special, 45C and 16 ga shotguns. Works well for me.

NRA Patron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.