Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
So my wife convinced me back around Christmas to get a standard Poodle for my kids. He's a red poodle which is pretty rare from my understanding. Handsome fella and smart as a whip. Have a duck guide friend here in NC who said guys in Currituck use them as duck dogs. Anybody here have any experience with them with anything other than ducks? At first I doubted I would ever turn him into a serious dedicated hunting dog, but my vet recommended that I give him a job to keep him from being bored so this just might be the thing for him.

I am open to using him for ducks, but I really dont hunt a lot of places that would require much from a dog. I do however like the idea of him retrieving dove or quail (if I could ever find any). Just curious if anybody on here has ever had any experience with them or know of somebody who has had luck

Also, dont worry I told my wife I would NEVER cut his hair like the fancy poodles most people think about

Last edited by Rlhunter0403; 05/25/23.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
A club member up here in Connecticut had a standard poodle years ago for duck hunting. He worked pretty well.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally, poodles were bred for hunting. Some of them still have the instinct and smarts.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by las
Originally, poodles were bred for hunting. Some of them still have the instinct and smarts.

Yup. If you’ve already got the dog, no reason not to try. Maybe he’ll hunt and maybe not. If you’re still in the market, find a breeder who produces gun dogs. You won’t lose anything by doing so.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My vet had two standard poodles he hunted. He primarily hunted quail. Poodles are known to point, and retrieve including water retrieves. I suggest you give your dog a chance to show he is a hunter.

Regarding pointing, the foot in the air is not something that all pointers do. My GWPs, which have standard poodle in them, just stop, but you know they are pointing. Example:

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hear tell some bird dog trainers start their dogs by putting them in a empty room with a quail or two. You'll soon know if he is "birdy" or not. You could try on some planted birds but it's not as definitive. Good luck. 👍

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Get some help from a good local Bird Dog Trainer. Rio7

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RIO7
Get some help from a good local Bird Dog Trainer. Rio7

Good advice. An objective assessment might save lots of frustration and expense in the long run. Just be sure it’s not an open ended training program if the dog is not going to perform. If it’s a dud in the field just accept it as a pet, since that seems to be the initial goal.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
We got him back around christmas of last year so like you guys said, might as well see if he can hunt. I havent done much with him so far, but i have walked him around the woods behind my house (both on a leash and off) and he definitely is interested in birds. According to the breeder i got him from his mother is a decent bird dog.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've taken my Airedale to a local bird dog trainer. He recently had a poodle graduate his board and train. I didnt see the dog, but he claims is was not a nuisance in the field and that it held its own.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Amazing. I wouldn't try it knowingly but might as well make lemonade out of lemons. I hope it works!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.