Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I should have taken a pic of it on the porch, but I had to open it first, sorry.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 05/25/23.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just looked on my front porch. Didn't find one.

Sucks.

Congrats! grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of the rifles at the top of my "hit list".

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's the rest of the story, before we go too far. About 2 years ago our member John, down in Florida, saw I responded to a 250 post, that I "LOVED" 250's. He contacted me and said he was ready to part with this rifle. He bought it 20+ years ago NIB, fired a few rounds through it, and for life reasons, never got to hunt it. When I bought it he said he had the original box with serial number on it. John got hit hard with Covid, he's been fighting it for over a year. He just found the box and sent it to me. When I asked what I owed him he said all he wanted was to see this rifle with a deer next year. So, to thank John for thinking about me during rough times, I'm pledging not to use any other rifle till I take a deer with this one.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Class act by John. Hope you get a nice whitetail this season. Beautiful rifle as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had that rifle in hand and actually had the pleasure of shooting it.

I told Joe a year ago it would become his favorite rifle.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Beautiful rifle, hope you have good luck this coming season

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
I've had that rifle in hand and actually had the pleasure of shooting it.

I told Joe a year ago it would become his favorite rifle.
If you remember we had trouble getting it to group? John sent me pics of bug holes he shot with it. I put the Leupold one piece off my 300 R on it. I never could get the 300 to group, and it had the 3.5x10 Leupold on it. I think I’m going to pull the base and put a set of Weavers on it.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I couldn't get it to group with 1-10 twist and the short 100 grain core-lokts.

Can't remember the rig you had on top of it at the time. But I don't think it was the gun or me. Something wasn't right that day. Dirty bore, loose mounts, scope problems, who knows.

I bet 117s or 120s would shoot absolute bug holes.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Had the Leupold 1.5X5 off my 25-35 Ruger #3, mounts leveled, scope leveled and squared, all screws torqued to specs. You know John has all those fancy gadgets. It had the one piece base off my 300R on it, I could never get that 300 to shoot like it should. Gary and I were shooting little stones off the burm at the range with the Ruger, we know the scope is good. I'm putting Weavers on the 250 and a new set on the 300. That's the only one piece mount I have and both guns it was on shot sub par.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 05/25/23.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
huh.., So You think the leupold one-piece base is bad somehow? All of them, or just some? (like the Weaver #14 aluminum bases that were bored wrong?)

Great story of stick-to-itivness, and gentlemanly follow-through! Thanks for sharing Joe

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I hope you get to hang one pretty quick, Joe. I'd hate to see you have to lug that ugly old thing around all season.😉

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Here's the rest of the story, before we go too far. About 2 years ago our member John, down in Florida, saw I responded to a 250 post, that I "LOVED" 250's. He contacted me and said he was ready to part with this rifle. He bought it 20+ years ago NIB, fired a few rounds through it, and for life reasons, never got to hunt it. When I bought it he said he had the original box with serial number on it. John got hit hard with Covid, he's been fighting it for over a year. He just found the box and sent it to me. When I asked what I owed him he said all he wanted was to see this rifle with a deer next year. So, to thank John for thinking about me during rough times, I'm pledging not to use any other rifle till I take a deer with this one.

Wat to go, Joe and John. Great story from both. I hope you get to get the rifle to shoot and I am sure you will, Joe. Ans John, I hope you are feelin better by now.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JeffG
huh.., So You think the leupold one-piece base is bad somehow? All of them, or just some? (like the Weaver #14 aluminum bases that were bored wrong?)

Great story of stick-to-itivness, and gentlemanly follow-through! Thanks for sharing Joe
Don’t know Jeff, I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about that mount? It’s the only one I’ve had? My hunting partner, John also, has a scope mounting system that levels the rifle, then parallels the scope to bore, and has a grid to align the cross hairs so they are a cross, not an X. We know the scope shoots good on my 25-35 Ruger. We know the 250 shoots good. The PO John sent me pics of tiny holes he shot.

Randy was thinking the 100 grain Remingtons were too short for the 1:10 twist, the opposite of too long for a slow twist? But, I didn’t think it worked that way?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Randy was thinking the 100 grain Remingtons were too short for the 1:10 twist, the opposite of too long for a slow twist? But, I didn’t think it worked that way?

I don't think the 100 grains were too short. I just think with that 1-10 twist longer bullet would most likely shoot better than shorter ones. Not?

I shot about a 1/2" group with my 25-06 the same day so I don't think it was me. Something was amiss.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That rifle is in the hands of a good custodian.

Joe, keep us posted.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great story and beautiful rifle !
Good luck with it.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That's a great story Joe, sorry John is struggling with effects of covid seems to be a not uncommon issue down here

Johno

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you all for the good wishes.

I am glad the box arrived intact. I was going to put the rifle on gunbroker, but really was happy the a valued forum member was attracted to it. Unless something happened in shipping, I just do not know why it won’t group. I shipped it in a padded hard case thinking that would protect it. When I shot it I had Weaver rings and a decent 3X9 Nikon scope on it, but I can’t remember what ammunition I was shooting….two weeks in an ICU futzed up my memory a bit. I do believe it was off the shelf modern Remington 100gr.
Joe, thanks for posting!
John
PS: I have an early (1915) 250/3K with the crosshatched trigger and perch belly stock that is well used but entirely original and intact that I will likely put on GB soon. Keep your eyes open for it.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a 99 A in 250 Savage 1-10 twist that did not shoot well. Try removing the forend and rest on the action. If it does usually a simple solution.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.